cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel the order

I sold my first item on eBay. I'll admit I'm pretty unexperienced, but this is what happened. 
A buyer made a buying proposal and I accepted. I only had selected bank payment as an option, he asked me to cancel the transaction and create another one, so that he could pay via MasterCard prepaid cart, and so I did.
Apparently I did not add PayPal to my paying methods, so the buyer could not pay for the item yet again.
I therefore contacted ebay, and an operator explained to me that I could either send the buyer my email, so that he could pay, or that I could cancel the order yet again, so that I could add PayPal to my paying methods.

I have then informed the buyer about these options, at which point he told me he did not intend to buy the item anymore because quote:"payments are very important to me" and he needs to feel safe. 
I told him I have been extremely transparent, even offering a screenshot with the ebay operator, to assure him this was what really happened.
I do not wish to cancel his order because I spent three days trying to fix the problem, and also because my item, which was observed by several people, has lost all its visibility.

My question is: can I refuse his request to cancel an order for which he has not paid and that I have not shipped yet, and what realistically is going to happen if I do and he still refuses to pay, or wants to send it back once he gets it, perhaps damaging my item.

I thank everyone kind enough to help.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@liebestraum089 If they want to cancel and they haven't paid it is in your best interest to just cancel the sale.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If the buyer doesn't pay, you can file an unpaid item.

If the buyer pays, the buyer can file a snad even if it's false, and leave neg feedback.

Best to cancel, it's never a good idea to force a buyer to pay, it usually ends badly for the seller.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

May I ask you why that is? What could I run into? I hope you can understand my frustration. This is just some whim by the buyer who changed is mind. there is obviously nothing sketchy about my behavior if I get in touch with eBay and show you, especially considering he already made me cancel the order once because he did not bother reading the payment methods I selected. It's incredibly frustrating
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@liebestraum089

Since the buyer wants to cancel, I would cancel the order as buyer requested.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for your answer. If I cancel will they be able to leave a negative feeback then?
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I agree with gwzcomps Cancel this transaction and relist
you may even want 2 add 2 your BBL so they don't try and purchase
buyer is requesting the transaction 2 b canceled
take a breath of relief and move on
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@liebestraum089 wrote:
Thanks for your answer. If I cancel will they be able to leave a negative feeback then?

Cancel at buyers request, I don't think the buyer can leave a neg.

If the buyer does leave a neg, I think ebay would remove it because the buyer asked to cancel..

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I don't believe they can neg if they didn't pay, except in situations where a seller cancels a listing.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Cancel at buyer request, relist item, & move on

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

can I refuse his request to cancel an order for which he has not paid and that I have not shipped yet

Yes. 

what realistically is going to happen

Many things might happen:

If you do nothing and he does not pay, he eventually loses the ability to pay (after 30 days or so, I think) but eBay will still charge you the final value fee in the same (around 10%).  Be warned he can still  leave you negative feedback. 

If you file unpaid item dispute and he does not pay, you will get you fees back and he cannot leave feedback. 

If you file unpaid item dispute and he does pays, all bets are off. You might never hear from him again. You might get negative feedback. You might get a dispute and be forced to pay return shipping and receive an empty box. 

But IMHO you should remember one thing ...

This is not your buyer's fault - it is YOUR fault for not setting the listing up correctly. I cannot believe that eBay customer support suggested that you ask the buyer for a PayPal payment outside of eBay system - that is against eBay policy and the buyer loses all his eBay Buyer Protection. 

There is no way you should expect your buyer to forfeit his eBay Buyer Protection in order to work around your inability to set up a listing correctly. 

IMHO you should do the right thing and cancel as the buyer requested. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

nvm, was thinking wrong lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

If the OP is listing on ebay.it,  I don't think they're required to take Paypal. Bank transfer is perfectly acceptable. I can't see anything either listed or sold for the OP, so I can't tell.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Generally the only way you're suppose to refuse to cancel an order is if you've already shipped the item. If the buyer submits a cancellation request it will ask you to upload tracking information. This is because in eBay's mind the only reason to decline a cancellation is if you've already shipped the item. The other problem is once this request is made, eBay doesn't allow you to purchase and print labels for that transaction on eBay. So even if you wanted to deny the request and submit tracking, you'd have to purchase a label from an alternative source such as Pirate Ship.

I'd just accept the cancellation. Every seller on here has to do it and does it all day long. It sucks, but it's common. 

I did three today alone.

It sucks and there should be cancellation fees for buyers, but this is life as an eBay seller. Basic consumer service, man.

And, yes, it's awful to lose your watchers. I once lost a listing with 200+ watchers because of a situation like this. I wanted to throw up.

Just be happy he didn't pay yet. If he paid and wanted to cancel you wouldn't get your PayPal fees back. Right now all you're out is your time. Cancel, relist the item and block the buyer if it makes you feel better.

As a general rule, anytime a buyer cancels from me I block them from ever buying again 99% of the time and also forward their user name to my eBay reseller friends so they can do the same. Zero tolerance.

Oh and if the buyer didn't pay they can't leave any feedback because the transaction never began. Even if they did and you cancelled the purchase because they requested it and for whatever reason they decided to leave you a negative that's likely an easy removal.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply