cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants strangely specific partial refund & also to send corn.

Hi all,

When it rains, it pours, for some reason! 

A buyer just received his item and asked for a $7 partial refund to fix a torn dust jacket. I asked if they could send me pictures of the tear and reminded them that the item did state wear to the edges of the jacket.

They said they don't know how to send pictures.

I sent them a picture of the visible tear in the listing and reminded them of my return policy (yes, you can return, but you need to pay shipping). 

They said, no, it's a different tear. And then they told me about how they own a mill and someone they know took pictures of the mill that were in this book and a bunch of other stuff I couldn't follow.

Things were getting weird, so I decided to check in with ebay for business on Facebook as to how to handle this. I thanked him for being courteous and told him I promised I would follow up and check in when ebay advises in the morning.

He thanked me and now he's trying to send me corn and flour from his mill...but he says I have to pay shipping.

Should I just send the refund already? What is even happening?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer,

If not satisfied with the item, please return for a refund.

Seller

No need to say more than that. If you're willing to entertain a partial:

Buyer,

We cannot address claims of damage without photos. Please take photos of the problem and send them via eBay message.

On the website there is a box underneath where you type a reply with a + sign that says add  photos. On the app there is a camera icon to the left of the box where you type a reply.

If you're unable to send photos, you can return the item for a refund.

Seller

With someone like this, best to keep it simple. Don't respond to the comment about mailing you corn.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Do not play around with partial refunds. Simply tell the buyer to return the item for a full refund. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

"(yes you can return, but you need to pay shipping)"

Uh, have you read the Money Back Guarantee for buyers?

If/when a buyer claims not as described, the seller will be paying the return shipping if he wants the item back.  eBay's policy tops yours every time.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I know many sellers absolutely refuse to send a partial refund.

I'm all about saving time and money.

If a $7 partial refund will make this person happy and go away, I would just do it.

Block this person and move on.  

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

They do not go away from the website when they are indulged in the partial from sellers. They go on and do the partial refund terrorizing to other sellers on here and THAT is why I NEVER grant a partial.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I will tell you a recent story about a partial refund discount seeker just happening now. This person messaged us on a buy it now listing with no offers accepted asking for further discounts/ We reply that we do not do discounts on already low prices. The buyer proceeded to buy 2 items from us totaling close to 500 dollars. Under any other circumstance I should be thrilled, but this buyer later messages that they are “sad and disappointed that we did not give them the discount AFTER THEY BOUGHT IT.  They also give us the violin playing story of. I had to put this on my credit card because I am on a tight budget.  OKAAAAAY! THEN WHY DO YOU BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. This reeks of a bad bad sale and probable return or worse. When you get a buyer that is already telling you they will be disappointed they usually WILL be disappointed after they get the item and then try for the worst scenerio of trying to get the item free with a chargeback, or further terrorize you with not as described cases and further asking for partials. I should have blocked this buyer from the get go but i already shipped out one item and te other one I told them we are holding the shipment with the option of them cancelling the sale because  we will not give them a partial refund before we even ship this next item. These people are a pain in the you know what.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Should I just send the refund already? What is even happening?

@macabrelibrarian 

Has your buyer even filed an ebay "request" (claim)?   If they are just messaging you, you are under no obligation to do anything until they do file. 

Surprise for your buyer, when they won't be able to complete a "not as described" claim (seller must pay for return shipping) until they provide a photo of the said damage. 

The damage can be real, or you just have the usual "tree shaker" (shake your tree to see what falls out) to get refunds after the fact without the formal process.  They may be required to return (something) if they file. 

You will have to decide what is best for YOU and your business. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@macabrelibrarian 

OMG, too funny! Tell buyer to send eggs and we'll talk!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

They do not go away from the website when they are indulged in the partial from sellers. They go on and do the partial refund terrorizing to other sellers on here and THAT is why I NEVER grant a partial.

Or sometimes they are good buyer making a reasonable request and and the seller simply made a mistake and missed something.

As a collector, I can say that to me there is a big difference between wear to a dust jacket and a tear in a dust jacket. Same with wear and tears on posters. I sell a lot of posters and when I describe damage I always count the number of tears (and add one) and also give a maximum length of the largest tear. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@macabrelibrarian 

Buyers do not have to send photos upon your request in order to file for an "Item Not As Described" return/refund. Contrary to previous posts, not all buyers are required by eBay to submit photos. Even then, if a buyer contacts customer service to explain they cannot (for whatever reason) provide photos, eBay will waive the requirement.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply