cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wanted me to ship to a PO Box, eBay wants me to ask fraudster to cancel the transaction

I just had a bad interaction with a buyer of a PS5 console that I was selling.  They won the auction, and then immediately messaged me asking me to ship to a P.O. Box which is an unconfirmed address.  I told him I can only ship to his confirmed paypal address, and then he told me he is moving in a few days.  It all reeks of fraudulent activity, so clicked option to cancel the transaction, and now ebay is telling me that I have to ask the fraudster to accept the cancellation, or else I'm out my final value fees. WHUTT? 

My auction is now in limbo for 7 days because buyer refuses to cancel the transaction.

Since below conversation, this person has followed up with more rude messages, and left a negative feedback.  I reported the buyer for asking to ship to unconfirmed address.   Is there any way to get his bogus feedback removed?

fleance_0-1609734579832.png

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer wanted me to ship to a PO Box, eBay wants me to ask fraudster to cancel the transaction

@fleance wrote:

I just had a bad interaction with a buyer of a PS5 console that I was selling.  They won the auction, and then immediately messaged me asking me to ship to a P.O. Box which is an unconfirmed address.  I told him I can only ship to his confirmed paypal address, and then he told me he is moving in a few days.  It all reeks of fraudulent activity, so clicked option to cancel the transaction, and now ebay is telling me that I have to ask the fraudster to accept the cancellation, or else I'm out my final value fees. WHUTT? 

My auction is now in limbo for 7 days because buyer refuses to cancel the transaction.

Since below conversation, this person has followed up with more rude messages, and left a negative feedback.  I reported the buyer for asking to ship to unconfirmed address.   Is there any way to get his bogus feedback removed?

Okay you need to move forward slowly. There are protections for you that you can use but you need to choose wisely. You should have canceled using issue with buyer's address which is the exact issue but you only get one opportunity to open any case. So stop and take your time. 

Contact eBay using the chat option. At top of this page look for help & contact. Explain in short words what occurred. As an example- Buyer purchased PS5 but immediately asked you to ship to an unverified address. As you know this is against policy for this platform you explained that's not possible. Buyer immediately left you negative FB. You selected the wrong reason for cancelation and now are stuck.

Be patient and apologize to the rep. Rep can read all the messages, which hopefully you come across well in. Try to remain on the reps good side and hopefully they will not only close this out for you but also remove that FB. Try to stay positive, no anger, no all caps. Best of luck to you....

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Buyer wanted me to ship to a PO Box, eBay wants me to ask fraudster to cancel the transaction

@fleance wrote:

Okay you need to move forward slowly. There are protections for you that you can use but you need to choose wisely. You should have canceled using issue with buyer's address which is the exact issue but you only get one opportunity to open any case. So stop and take your time. 

Contact eBay using the chat option. At top of this page look for help & contact. Explain in short words what occurred. As an example- Buyer purchased PS5 but immediately asked you to ship to an unverified address. As you know this is against policy for this platform you explained that's not possible. Buyer immediately left you negative FB. You selected the wrong reason for cancelation and now are stuck.

Be patient and apologize to the rep. Rep can read all the messages, which hopefully you come across well in. Try to remain on the reps good side and hopefully they will not only close this out for you but also remove that FB. Try to stay positive, no anger, no all caps. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

You cancel the sale based on incorrect address. It should go through. Do not EVER ship to an unverified address. You tell the buyer if they want the item it has to be cancelled first and then they can add the PObox address to their account and repurchase the item. Did you ask them to do that?

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Buyers can request an item to be sent to another address but they must agree to a cancellation of the first transaction. Then you can safely send the item if the buyer agrees to add the address to their account. 

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@fleance wrote:

I just had a bad interaction with a buyer of a PS5 console that I was selling.  They won the auction, and then immediately messaged me asking me to ship to a P.O. Box which is an unconfirmed address. 

You can only ship to the address provided with the payment, which is the best way to explain it to someone who wants it shipped elsewhere, even for the most legitimate of reasons. Shipping to a PO Box is, in general, the best delivery point of all since it's under the control of the USPS, and the package can't be stolen off the porch. However, if that wasn't the address provided with the payment, it's not an option for you (regardless of whether it's "confirmed," which is not a meaningful status anymore), because an Item Not Received dispute looks only at the City and ZIP of the address received with the payment, not whatever you might have manually changed it to later on.

Assuming that you really did hear from the buyer ID with that address change request, and not a third-party scammer under a different eBay ID, you're entitled to cancel as you did, though it may take some conversation with Customer Service to get that feedback removed. At least you have the true reason for cancellation in that message from the buyer, though you may need to get a CS rep to actually sit and read it.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

You cancel the sale based on incorrect address. It should go through. Do not EVER ship to an unverified address. You tell the buyer if they want the item it has to be cancelled first and then they can add the PObox address to their account and repurchase the item. Did you ask them to do that?

Well, it was an auction not buy it now,  and after he said he was moving in a few days, I just wanted to cancel the transaction, because it started to reek of fraud/scam.  

Also, I had excluded PO Boxes in my shipping options, and put in the description the delivery will require a signature confirmation.  Won't ebay stop you from bidding on an auction if your address is a PO Box and the auction listing excludes PO Boxes.  Sigh...

I'm not a pro seller.  I've bought 1000+ items on ebay, and only sold about 50 items. This is the first one that turned out to be a pain in the @ss.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Contact eBay using the chat option.

Thanks, I'm trying that now.   When I cancelled, I believe I did select option that buyer had requested an unconfirmed address, but ebay still put ball back in buyer's court to complete the cancellation.  Will update what ebay rep says. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@fleance wrote:

Thanks, I'm trying that now.   When I cancelled, I believe I did select option that buyer had requested an unconfirmed address, but ebay still put ball back in buyer's court to complete the cancellation.  Will update what ebay rep says. 

Remember to keep stressing you were following policy on eBay. Rep will send you a transcript of the conversation and be sure to keep a copy. If first rep doesn't help than try again with another rep, you'll always get another person. Stay positive and stay kindly to them, remember they are controlling the decisions here....

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I went to Help

@lamber9347 wrote:

@fleance wrote:

Hm.. I went to Help/Contact Us, and there is option to use Automated Chat (robot?) or have them call you.  I clicked call me, but it is outside business hours.  Looks like like I have to wait until tomorrow morning to have a rep look at this.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

You have received good advice from the other respondents.  You also need to put this bidder on your blocked bidder list so they don't bid again.  Especially since he lied in his feedback.  You need to report this buyer for asking to ship to an unconfirmed address which is a policy violation and request feedback removal.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I think you could have worked this out with the buyer. Up until the last message, the communication was friendly. Rather than having a conversation with the buyer about next steps, you went directly to saying you would cancel the transaction, even tho he was amenable to sending the item to a physical address.

It sounds like this buyer is not familiar with the rules, and frankly that is not unusual. His messages were cordial and not demanding. I see nothing to indicate he was trying to scam you. You have a high feedback score, making you less attractive to a scammer. The buyer’s feedback is much lower than yours, but he is an established buyer with a history.

The fact he asked you to send this to an alternate address is not automatic proof he is trying to defraud you. He is moving and concerned about receiving his item in time. He even says he would update to his physical address. He prefers the po box because it is infinitely safer, for both buyer and seller.  (Why do you not ship to PO boxes?)

You eyed this buyer with suspicion. Then he did the same. Neither one of you sounds like a fraudster to me. You could have explained your position, then cancelled the transaction with his understanding, and relisted the item as a buy-it-now at the price he won the auction at so he could repurchase with the correct address. 

There are far too many knee-jerk reactions where buyers and sellers view each other with an utter lack of trust or good faith. A little effort on both sides could prevent such failed transactions. 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

I think you could have worked this out with the buyer. Up until the last message, the communication was friendly. Rather than having a conversation with the buyer about next steps, you went directly to saying you would cancel the transaction, even tho he was amenable to sending the item to a physical address.

Yes, at first I was open to working something out, but after he said he was moving in a few days before the package could arrive, that was too many red flags...   My listing had excluded shipping to PO Boxes and I stated that signature would be required.  This is a large package and would have to ship via Fedex or UPS. I could have sworn I had a problem before where UPS wouldn't ship to a PO Box.

His response afterwards seems to validate my gut feeling.  I haven't even posted the other **bleep** he messaged me after leaving a negative feedback.   Buying/Selling shouldn't be this hard.  I have completed over 1000 transactions (90% buy 10% selll) with only a few minor issues before.   If pro sellers have to deal with these type of people everyday, I don't know how they do it.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@fleance wrote:

I went to Help

@lamber9347 wrote:

@fleance wrote:

Hm.. I went to Help/Contact Us, and there is option to use Automated Chat (robot?) or have them call you.  I clicked call me, but it is outside business hours.  Looks like like I have to wait until tomorrow morning to have a rep look at this.

Well I suggested you use the chat option. Many others have posted on here that the call back takes too long. I've used the chat option on three separate occasions and each time someone answered within five minutes. Each of my issues were resolved in my favor and I found it quite easy to use. Stay chill, it's better to handle via writing than verbal as emotions can come into play....

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Well I suggested you use the chat option. Many others have posted on here that the call back takes too long. I've used the chat option on three separate occasions and each time someone answered within five minutes. Each of my issues were resolved in my favor and I found it quite easy to use. Stay chill, it's better to handle via writing than verbal as emotions can come into play....

Oh, the chat says "Automated" so I thought I would just be talking to a robot who won't' be able to help me but if they eventually let me chat with a human that will work.   Ok, let me try that, I would like to resolve this before tomorrow morning.  Thanks for your help.   I've been an ebayer since 1997, but haven't had to talk to them in years.

Update: Just tried the chat, got to option "Contact an agent", and then it said "Sorry fleance, live support's currently unavailable."   Live support might have the same hours as telephone support.  Looks like I'll have to wait until morning, but I'll try the chat then.  Thanks.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Personally, I think you did the right thing.

You are shipping FedEx

That buyer KNEW you would not ship to PO boxes and switched to a  physical address just to get around you block.

Then  asked you to change it AFTER the fact.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 15 of 29
latest reply