cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer submits payment dispute 4 months after delivery

Reaching out to the community to see if any other sellers have experienced this and how it went for them. 

Buyer submitted a payment dispute out of nowhere with their financial institution for an order that was completed over 4 months ago. Buyer claims “item doesn’t match description & the item is counterfeit” 

Details:

- Buyer left positive feedback with comment “item as described” a few weeks after delivery. I guess they changed their mind
- They are claiming the item is fake and now they can’t resell it and make money. The item is 100% authentic, I personally purchased the item. 

- All information used in listing is valid and matches item that was delivered. All photos used were exact photos of actual item delivered. 

I submitted my challenge response with multiple photos of proof and dialogue & I spoke to eBay over the phone before submitting, they did give me some positive vibes by stating the case should very well go in my favor.

Any other sellers deal with this nonsense? In my opinion, I think this buyer is having trouble re selling item or needs the money and is trying to scam into getting refunds.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer submits payment dispute 4 months after delivery

@humblehyena 

You did exactly what you should have done by submitting your evidence on the Dispute / Chargeback.  I hope you will come back and tell us how things turn out for you.  Now you just have to wait and it can take awhile.

Many many sellers have had to deal with these.  Now through Ebay, before they were through PayPal.

Buyers are allowed up to 180 days to file one of these dispute IF their Credit card company will allow it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 20 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Ebay has no say in the matter.

It's totally up to your buyer's credit card company.

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Usually a buyer can dispute or not recognize a charge on their credit card within 120 days...some will and can dispute it longer ...I had one for 260 days...and I won.

So you are dealing with the buyer's bank and not eBay...so be careful what you say...polite and very business like does help.

Documentation is important for it to proceed...so photos are very important of anything you have to show to the bank. Again, be polite and business like.

Mention to the bank about the 120 days to file a dispute or does not recognize the charge...which is on the internet over and over which I did. And in fact, a bank can get in trouble for going over the 120 days of a dispute. 

Again, you are talking to the bank and not eBay....I checked my dispute and found buyer was not a registered eBayer anymore. Information...the more about the buyer the better...bank seems you will do nothing.

I uploaded for documentation a photo of Barbie and Ken for Christmas and I won.

So, it's something you have to think how to respond to the bank on eBay...give it when you need to give a respond...holidays of course are in your favor...any holidays.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Just think about it, why would they leave you a positive if their intention is to scam you, scammers don't wait 4 months to complete their scams. Most likely the item is fake, and they just found out thru a jeweler or whatever, and just because you personally purchased it doesn't mean it's authentic.

I would ask in my response for the return of item to issue a refund.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

4 months ago..."return of item to issue a refund" ?

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Yes, the institution will credit the buyers account upon return.

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps 

Where are you getting "“not recognize a charge on their credit card ”  from?

Are you reading the same post?

Buyer claims “item doesn’t match description & the item is counterfeit” 

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

When a buyer does a credit card dispute...it is a credit card dispute...whether they do not recognize it or dispute it.

"item doesn't match description & the item is counterfeit" means absolutely nothing to a bank.

eBay is out of the picture....

They only care about the facts...as a bank and not selling or buying on eBay.

I won a few bank chargebacks and how many have you won?

You cannot claim "item doesn't match description & the item is counterfeit" ...to a bank. They only check disputes and do not recognize charges..other words are meaningless. I have been there.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

If banks are doing this, wouldn't it be easy for someone to invest in say

gold, at a certain price hoping it will go up, but it doesn't, then they 

do a charge back and they get thier original price back, even though it's worth less

than it was.   This is gambling without a risk.  

This can't be lawfull.  

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps 

When a buyer does a credit card dispute...it is a credit card dispute...whether they do not recognize it or dispute it.

"item doesn't match description & the item is counterfeit" means absolutely nothing to a bank.

----------------------------------------------

Really? Nice to know.

Where did you find this info? Need to read more about it.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

I won a few chargebacks. Experience...sorry but it's all about experience.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps 

Ok, thank you for your experience.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I won a few chargebacks. Experience...sorry but it's all about experience.

Question:  And I really don't know this, I'm not being a smart-ass.

But ... when you 'win' this kind of thing .. who pays?

Does the buyer get money taken from them?   Does he 'lose'?  Does he actually LEARN something like "gee, I can't do that here ..." or does he actually 'win'?  

And when you hold Ebay's hand over the fire like that ... does it come back to you later?  

Is it part of what 'the man' looks at when you hear the story here about "I been on Ebay for ten years, selling a million bucks a year, with a 100% feedback .... and I got banned, for nuthin."  

Was it for nothing?  Or was it because they 'won' too many small battles?

If Ebay is the only one paying ... who won?

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

But ... when you 'win' this kind of thing .. who pays?

@chariot_badges 

On eBay a "Payment Dispute" can be a chargeback OR the buyer disputed with PayPal. These are different than eBay claims.  PayPal allows 180 days for a dispute to be filed, a card company's policy may vary. But on eBay you don't get to know which version you are dealing with.  For example, PayPal will require the "buyer" to ship the product back on their own dime for the refund to be processed if a 'not as described' reason is used.  A credit card company often does not require a return of the product for the buyer to still prevail.  

There are a couple of instances where eBay may offer "seller protection", even if the payment source (credit card or PayPal) may not.  One is if the claim is for INR (or sometimes 'doesn't recognize the charge'), and there is appropriate delivery confirmation showing the product was delivered to the address supplied by eBay.  The other is if the buyer files an eBay claim and loses, the seller will be protected for monetary loss if the buyer files a Payment Dispute FOR THE EXACT SAME REASON.  In these instances eBay takes the monetary hit if there is one. 

For a 'not as described' dispute, there is no seller protection from eBay.  You can fill out the form and "counter" the claim/Payment Dispute, and hope eBay forwards the information to the payment institution on your behalf.  If you lose, you pay up, and get an additional $20 charge for your trouble. 

Message 15 of 44
latest reply