cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sends a physical threat?

IMG_1536.jpeg

 how do I approach this? 
item is at usps and hasn’t shipped out yet.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Buyer sends a physical threat?

Chances are he's bald and weighs 120 pounds soaking wet. 

What I would do is copy and paste everything into a 'report buyer' opportunity.   It's in a blue link under the order in the shipped section, you have to scroll to the bottom to find 'report buyer'.  You can only report once for each reason.  I'd do the first two.  Make sure to include the email link numbers where you were threatened, it's at the bottom of the email.  

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

Call your local police and report the threat.

Call his local police and report the threat.

If nothing else, it will be on the record.

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@zoda99 wrote:

Asking for a refund isn't a physical threat.

@inhawaii wrote:

I agree. No threat made.

You don't think threatening to "visit in person soon" is a threat? I do!

I don't and neither would law enforcement.

I'm going to visit you. = Not a threat.

I'm going to visit you and break your kneecaps.  = That's a threat.

I'm not saying law enforcement would do squat. I didn't suggest that the OP contact LE. 

But for a bully buyer to threaten a visit soon coupled with the language and name-calling, that warrants a report to ebay because I have to believe there's a pattern and getting it on record can't hurt. 

I also don't suggest that the OP issue a partial refund, at least not yet! We have no idea when @fruitsandveggies75 shipped the item nor what the estimated delivery date is.  As most of us know, it's not uncommon for packages to go days without scans, often not showing movement until delivery. 

@fruitsandveggies75 

When was the item sold? 

What date was it shipped? 

What is the estimated delivery date shown on the order? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

I'm sorry you ran into this buyer, OP.

Wow, just wow.  What is this world coming to? Seriously.

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

But for a bully buyer to threaten a visit soon coupled with the language and name-calling, that warrants a report to ebay because I have to believe there's a pattern and getting it on record can't hurt. 

Agreed.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 20 of 52
latest reply

Seems that it would have to be that $500+ coat, but I guess there are those that get overly excited about delays on lower values items as well 🤔

Some aren't held with much glue and are easily unhinged.

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

That sounds for all the world like a drunk post to me.

Take the high road, offer a refund and let him or her sober up.  Don't go down to the buyer's level.

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

Feel like it’s a pretty common practice of sellers to decide to not refund shipping since it’s already paid for and non refundable, is it not? Definitely something I’ve done plenty of times and also read a thread on this community that suggested it. 
not saying it’s my go to practice just seems appropriate in this situation, especially to negate if I choose to intercept this package.

Message 23 of 52
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@zoda99 wrote:

Asking for a refund isn't a physical threat.

@inhawaii wrote:

I agree. No threat made.

You don't think threatening to "visit in person soon" is a threat? I do!

I don't and neither would law enforcement.

I'm going to visit you. = Not a threat.

Bring some gummy pickles

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

No worries, eBay will handle this buyer with a full refund and let him keep the merch when it's delivered and then he'll leave you a negative feedback which they won't remove. Par for the course.

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

Here's me being nitpicky about a pet peeve of mine.

When you messaged the buyer "Please let me know if you're not satisfied with a partial refund!", why the exclamation point? I see a lot of people doing this nowadays all over the internet where they end their sentences with exclamation points. 

My 5 year old is learning to read so when he came across it, he asked me what the ! was and what it means. I told him it simply means that sentence is louder than the ones with just a period. He says "You mean like it's yelling?" I said, "Yes, kinda."

It's not as bad as typing in all caps, but personally it also raises a flag with me when someone uses exclamation points. I automatically think they are being loud, yelling, or expressing extreme emotion. So I tread lightly or defensively. One thing is for sure, I would never use exclamation points with someone I believe to be drunk or unhinged. 

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

Am I the only one that is wondering why there are text messages back and forth and not eBay messages? Was this even an eBay transaction? Why are you texting each other instead of using the eBay messaging system?

That aside, I would recall that package and issue a refund. This buyer will undoubtedly try to get a refund and keep the item anyway so you might as well get it back, refund their payment, and be done with them.

Message 27 of 52
latest reply

That what they look like on the ap

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

Baby if you need a safe house come down to Mobile.  It's Spring Break, let's hit the beach!!  

Message 29 of 52
latest reply

"Still at the post office" ... is it stuck and not moving or moving within the postal system? If you notice it hasn't moved in a few days from one location, call the post office and have them do a search for the package and get it moving again. There is a customer service number on the USPS website. Don't use the voice menu, keep replying 'agent' or 'customer service' until you get a person. It's not that hard. 

And, why the partial refund? Work it out first with the post office and person before giving up money and losing your merchandise. 

Message 30 of 52
latest reply