cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested return - told them to keep it - they sent it anyway?

Weird situation here, thought I'd share. On November 8th a buyer bought a card from me, but requested to return it because there was damage on the card I had missed and didn't point out in the listing. I apologized for the mistake, refunded them and told them not to worry about returning it, as I would have never sold it in the first place if I had known about the damage. After issuing the refund, the return was marked as "closed".

Flash forward to now, I'm checking my USPS informed delivery and I notice I have an eBay return package coming soon. Had to think about it a minute and realized that it was the card I had asked the person not to return. I haven't received the usual "The return is on the way, be sure to refund when you receive it" email, and again the return is closed. I checked my transactions and haven't been charged for return shipping (yet). I wonder if I will be? Are you normally charged as soon as the return label is created? I've actually never had an INAD return before.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer requested return - told them to keep it - they sent it anyway?

Are you normally charged as soon as the return label is created?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it's charged when label is used.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Do you mean after it receives its first scan (which would make it "used" and un-voidable), or after it's delivered?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It is charged when it gets its first scan.  Once the label is in the system as in 'used', you get charged for it.  Until then, no charge.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Well that's interesting. It's already been scanned multiple times, it was scanned the first time on November 9th.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I think the buyer is returning it at her own expense.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

See that's what I was thinking too, but I can see that it's an eBay return label and not a label they bought from the post office or something. So yea, it's just kinda weird.ebay return.png

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I messaged a seller years ago about an INAD. They refunded me and told me to keep it. I did not think it was right to keep the item and the $$.  I returned the item anyway being the seller was nice about it. Figured the seller could still relist it at a lower cost so it is possible the buyer was just being nice.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Getting charged can be random. Have had one charged in initial scan. One after it was delivered. And one about a week after delivery.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply