cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opens late delivery dispute case while eBay store is in vacation mode

This is a first for me.

We went out of state for our annual family vacation for a couple weeks(the 23rd to the 10th to be exact).
Our eBay store was placed in vacation. The listings were kept visible so that purchases could be made but we wrote a notice letting everyone know, our return dates included, that no orders would be processes or shipped out until we return. I encouraged questions, as always, and kept my laptop nearby during the trip.

So about half way through the the trip we had not one, but two people open dispute cases because their order had not been shipped out on time.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and looked at the store using a different account. Vacation mode notices are everywhere. It’s a fact that is hard to miss. It’s actually very clear to see that nothing will be done until the stated return date.

Both cases have since been closed.

But one things bother me:

Why are late delivery dispute cases possible at all, for purchases made while a store is in vacation mode?

The fact that a customer and a seller can get so tied up, and waste so much of everyones time and money, with all of these clear messages and notices in place is astounding.

It actually doesn't make any sense.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer opens late delivery dispute case while eBay store is in vacation mode

When you are setting your vacation mode, there are two choices and each choice states exactly what that selection will do while you are in vacation mode. The first toggle is just to let your buyers know you are away, but they can still purchase from the listing. The second toggle hides your listings so that people cannot purchase until you turn off your vacation mode. If you do not have extended handling times set for your listings, you want to choose the second toggle, because eBay and buyers are still expecting that you've made arrangements to have these items shipped when they are supposed to ship. 

The first toggle that only lets buyers know  you are away does not help you if you are physically unable to meet your handling times.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@teaisfortoys wrote:

Why are late delivery dispute cases possible at all, for purchases made while a store is in vacation mode?

Because as long as item as visible, the seller is obligated to fulfill orders.

What doesn't make sense is leaving items available for sale when you know you can't ship.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Did you change your handling time?

If not you should have. 

Ebay is all about handling time and you sending it on time.

@teaisfortoys wrote:

This is a first for me.

We went out of state for our annual family vacation for a couple weeks(the 23rd to the 10th to be exact).
Our eBay store was placed in vacation. The listings were kept visible so that purchases could be made but we wrote a notice letting everyone know, our return dates included, that no orders would be processes or shipped out until we return. I encouraged questions, as always, and kept my laptop nearby during the trip.

So about half way through the the trip we had not one, but two people open dispute cases because their order had not been shipped out on time.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and looked at the store using a different account. Vacation mode notices are everywhere. It’s a fact that is hard to miss. It’s actually very clear to see that nothing will be done until the stated return date.

Both cases have since been closed.

But one things bother me:

The fact that a customer and a seller can get so tied up, and waste so much of everyones time and money, with all of these clear messages and notices in place is astounding.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

This is a common mistake.  Putting your store on vacation mode does not protect you from late delivery.  You have to manually extend your handling time as well.  Or you have to hide your listings.  You now have 2 seller defects that take time to drop off.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@teaisfortoys wrote:
 ... Why are late delivery dispute cases possible at all, for purchases made while a store is in vacation mode?....

Because the basic vacation "mode" is nothing more than an "Away" message.  

The only way to avoid disputes and late-shipment defects is to either (1) use the option to hide your listings; or (2) revise your handling time to refect your actual anticipated shipping date.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

If you don't bulk edit your handling times, then technically you are still required to ship within them.  Ebay also still applies the shipping time metrics based on your listed handling times.

Ebay doesn't make this clear when you pick the vacation settings.

In all fairness, when I complained to ebay reps about this not being made clear I was directed to tell folks that it is explained under "Knowledge Base" and Commonly asked questions.  

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

When you are setting your vacation mode, there are two choices and each choice states exactly what that selection will do while you are in vacation mode. The first toggle is just to let your buyers know you are away, but they can still purchase from the listing. The second toggle hides your listings so that people cannot purchase until you turn off your vacation mode. If you do not have extended handling times set for your listings, you want to choose the second toggle, because eBay and buyers are still expecting that you've made arrangements to have these items shipped when they are supposed to ship. 

The first toggle that only lets buyers know  you are away does not help you if you are physically unable to meet your handling times.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

We leave them available to so that we dont miss sales. In the meantime, I inform the buyers that nothing will be shipped out till we get back. And am always happy to take questions as they come.

The resoning behind chosing to do either is irrelevent, as long as ebay choses to make those options available withing their vacation mode settings. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

That's sounds similar to the call i just had with them.
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I didn't think of it that way. Thank you. So many different ways to look at it haha its been interesting
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

.....Or you have to hide your listings.....

Even if you hide your listings, buyers can still purchase if they have the item saved to their Watch list. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Yikes
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@teaisfortoys wrote:
Yikes

Surprised me, too, when it happened to me when I had my store on vacation.  I had no idea that it could happen but now I know it does.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Even if you hide your listings, buyers can still purchase if they have the item saved to their Watch list. 

RIGHT, I forgot about that again.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@zzydny wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

RIGHT, I forgot about that again.

I read this loophole was closed.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply