cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer offered my asking price and left message

So someone offered me the actual price of my item asking me to text them at their number (yes ik this sounds fishy af and I do not intend to at all text them, only responding through ebay messages) and they stated they're fast payer and need it shipped fast. Is there a way they can somehow screw me over if they receive the item? I've already mentioned in the post that I will only ship to the paypal address AND require a signature. I don't mind waiting for a more legitimate looking person to appear, they do have a lot of buyer feedback but only 2 were in the past 12 months with the other 90+ being over a year ago... I usually never sell on ebay so am just a bit worried as getting scammed out of this item would be devastating to me, is there any way I can be scammed out of my item if I make the signature is required? Thanks!  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's a scam, they want to send you a fake e-mail telling you that you have been paid. They will not actually pay you. Just ignore them.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The fact that someone would send you an offer for your Buy-It-Now price rather than just going ahead and buying it, and also wants you to text them should tell you all you need to know.

Scammers want your contact information to be able to send you a fake PayPal email that makes it appear that you have been paid when you have not. They are hoping to pressure you into shipping quickly before you realize you have not actually been paid at all. Scammers particularly like to target new, inexperienced sellers selling expensive items like laptops.

Sending contact information (text or email) prior to a transaction is a violation of eBay policy; this policy is designed to protect honest buyers and sellers from this sort of thing, and to prevent off-eBay sales.

Ignore anyone that wants to communicate outside of eBay prior to a transaction payment. eBay will likely close the scammer's account eventually; unfortunately the scammer will simply open another account and continue sending such messages.

As a seller you should always check your PayPal account directly (not following a link in an email) to see if you have actually been paid prior to shipping. If an actual buyer does not send an actual payment, file an unpaid item dispute and go through that process to get your fees back and to give the "buyer" a strike -- and set your buying requirement to reject bids from users with two or more strikes.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@davitruon1 

First I wanted to let you know that since the item is over $1 thousand your funds will be held for 21 days after tracking shows delivery.  

This is a lot of information so if you have any questions please let me know.  

You're a new seller selling a popular scam magnet item

1) You should list it as a FIXED PRICE immediate payment required, only NO auctions and NO best offers 

To have the immediate payment required option you will need to use this listing form and check the IPR box:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/using-advanced-listing-form?id=4159&st=2&pos...

2) If you have offers from suspicious buyers then add them to your blocked buyer list: 

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

3) If a bad buyer won an item and has not paid then after 48 hours from close of sales file an unpaid item case to get your sellers fees back and give the non payer a strike on their account.   At least 96 hours after you open the case you must return and close it as not paid to get your fees back

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=3&pos=1&quer...

4) Have you set up your account blocks:

Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences or Seller Hub > Shortcuts > Site preferences.

Set up your buyer requirements:

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
Are currently winning or have bought 5 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 5 or lower

Also, make sure that all the locations you do not wish to ship to have checkmarks in Shipping Preferences:

Click the Edit link next to Exclude shipping locations from your listings. Put a check mark next to locations you do NOT want to ship to.

Select the states, territories, countries, or regions you don't want to ship to.
Click the Apply button to save your selections.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Do not text them.... always communicate with buyers (and sellers) through the eBay platform.

This "buyer" is a scammer and you should put them on your blocked buyers list (BBL) where they belong.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You are correct and it is a scam attempt.  I sincerely wish newish sellers with low feedback would start out with low dollar items until they get past this tricky level.  It is really about the only time feedback plays a big role in selling and definitely not a helpful role.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

SCAM ALERT

New sellers with expensive items are targets.  No need to text, eBay messaging works like a dream and everything is documented.  Block this buyer ASAP.  He wants your PayPal address to send you a fake payment received notifcation.

I don't recommend selling expensive items on eBay.  If you can't afford the item as a loss it's a huge risk.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

SCAM!!

Never text them or send them any information. I just decline

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

scammers want overnight shipping, ASAP, on laptops that go to a reshipper, then off overseas.  A girl a few weeks ago lost her $3000 laptop to this scam.   

Message 9 of 9
latest reply