cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer messages me an offer, but he accepts a higher offer that I submitted.

Yesterday AM I received a message from a buyer saying they will offer me $80.00 for item. I verified buyer and he checks out, joined eBay 2004 and has been active lately. I message him back that I accept his offer and waited for his offer to come through eBay. Separately, much later on in the day I received notification from eBay that there are several buyers interested in same product and I had the option to submit offer. I submitted a bulk offer to all 3 watchers/prospective buyers for $100. In hindsight, I figured that one of those buyers was the one that messaged me, but I had no way to verify since their ID's are hidden to me. 

Turns out I was right, and he accepted my offer. Now he messages me telling me that I accepted his $80 offer. I responded that when I submit offers, I have no idea on buyers ID, and then I asked him why he accepted the $100 instead of countering with $80 and messaging me that he had already communicated with me. 

What to do? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer messages me an offer, but he accepts a higher offer that I submitted.

Hi titipeo,

I would message him and say when he didn't follow through, meaning hit the buy it now button, you accepted another offer.  As you said, you had no idea it was him.  Now it's up to you. You could tell him you have other offers for $100 (if you do), and let him buy it, but he might get mad and claim a defect or something.  Or just let him buy it for $80. Personally, I'd let him buy it for $80.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@titipeo   OK, so do u already know what u r going to do? or r u asking us what u should do?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@titipeo   OK, so do u already know what u r going to do? or r u asking us what u should do?

What to do? 

I can cancel using Buyer Requested cancellation, but will he get hit with that? Any repercussions on him, me?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi titipeo,

I would message him and say when he didn't follow through, meaning hit the buy it now button, you accepted another offer.  As you said, you had no idea it was him.  Now it's up to you. You could tell him you have other offers for $100 (if you do), and let him buy it, but he might get mad and claim a defect or something.  Or just let him buy it for $80. Personally, I'd let him buy it for $80.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks, I did, its best to go this route, otherwise buyer will be paying taxes on $100, and I will be paying fees on $100 as well. Best to do everything the proper way. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@titipeo wrote:

Turns out I was right, and he accepted my offer. Now he messages me telling me that I accepted his $80 offer. I responded that when I submit offers, I have no idea on buyers ID, and then I asked him why he accepted the $100 instead of countering with $80 and messaging me that he had already communicated with me. 

Well, you can argue the finer points of the offer process with him (i.e. he needed to respond faster to your reply message, because you had sent out a higher offer as a broadcast after that, plus at that point he needed to counteroffer, not accept), but I can't see any way that he won't take this as an attempt by you to pry an extra $20 out of him. I know I'm spending your money by saying this, but after all that's transpired, I think I would just sell it to him for $80.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

YOU NEED BETTER COMMUNICATION SKILLS LOL. NO WONDER AMAZON IS TAKING OVER CRAPPY EBAY. EBAY SUCKS. SOMEONE ASKS A QUESTION AND EBAY COMMUNITY IS EXTREMELY RUDE. NO WONDER NO ONE USES EBAY ANYMORE

Message 7 of 7
latest reply