cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left me negative feedback without contacting me first!Also item is not marked as delivered (?)

I have always been proud - like many of us - on maintaining a perfect feedback score. I sold a container of pool chemicals to a guy. By now it should have been delivered but is not indicated as such. And yet, he must have gotten it since he gave me negative feedback which simply said "packet was open...."  I'm not clear at all on what he means and so just contacted him asking him to clarify, stating I'd really like to work together to clear this up so that I can restore my perfect feedback. It's most upsetting. If I'm not mistaken, before issuing negative feedback I believe eBay even questions as to whether or not you're certain you want to do this and maybe should contact the seller first, etc. Can't recall the exact wording that comes up. I'm certain the lid was on tight. The pool tablets within the container are all individually wrapped, and the container itself was well secured with all sorts of packing material. Box was securely taped. Unless damaged in shipping, I can't imagine what I would have done to justify this feedback. Any suggestions at this point? Suppose I don't hear back from him? Can eBay look into this further. And why isn't it marked as delivered??  Thanks for any help. I've never encountered this situation before. 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Buyer left me negative feedback without contacting me first!Also item is not marked as delivered

I'll just comment on why the package wasn't marked as delivered, most likely the mail carrier didn't scan it delivered that happens sometimes.  So actually your lucky, the buyer could have opened an item not received case and you would have had to issue them a refund.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Re: Buyer left me negative feedback without contacting me first!Also item is not marked as delivered

That's exactly what I did....said he probably misread. I can't correct what I don't know about. Thanks. See what happens with it. 

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@gretschwhtfalcon wrote:

I mean, come on....I'll accept that the title could be misconstrued, but who buys an item solely by just reading the title?  Apparently this guy does. 

LOTS of them!  Sometimes it seems like all of them 😐   It's actually very common for people to buy just reading the title & looking at the pics.    FWIW, from the title only, I would have expected 16 tablets.   Sorry, but I doubt Ebay will remove it.   On the plus side, it won't hurt your sales. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

I'll definitely be contacting eBay. This negative feedback was certainly not warranted. To not contact a seller first if there's any sort of problem is unconscionable in my book. I wouldn't do it to someone. If there's a problem...communicate it and give the seller a chance to make it right. Really ticks me off that the first feedback this guy ever left since being in eBay for 9 years would up being me. He has only ever done 3 transactions besides me. Sorry I was the unfortunate person to be his 4th. 

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Of course it can hurt sales. I'll buy from someone that has a score of 100 before 98. 

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Ebay won't change the feedback, so at least I tried that. See what happens with the revision request sent to the buyer. I suspect the guy's going to blow me off, but then I guess my last resort is to offer money back. I'll gladly sacrifice the $50 sale to clear off the feedback IF he'd even do it. With my luck, I'd send the money, and he wouldn't change it. So maybe agree to do it the opposite way. No idea. I've never been down this road before.  I simply ran into the wrong guy the way it seems. Sure wish he would have never come across my listing. If nothing happens, I'll block him and try not to cringe every time I see that 98% associated with my name. This is going to take a long time to get over. 

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Did you send a revision request before helping the buyer? You cannot tie the removal of feedback to money, that is an eBay violation.

The best way to deal with issues is to fix the problem with the buyer with no strings attached then request a revision. They time out

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

If I only read your listing title, I would have expected 16 tablets.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

OK...this gets even more interesting. The item, as I mentioned previously, was never officially delivered. I just spoke with eBay and they confirm that the item is still in transit. Even more interesting is that the tracking info shows arrival at "unit" - presumably referring to the buyer's address but then, 6 minutes later shows the item arriving at the USPS facility where he lives. 2 hours later it shows "out for delivery" and then, the following day it shows "awaiting delivery scan". A buyer cannot leave feedback for an item that he didn't technically receive. Ebay confirms this - so just what IS going on here??  They are investigating it and will get back to me, but from their end  - based on the rep I talked to today - the item was never officially received. Did he get it, was not happy, and take it right back to the PO to be returned to me?  This is crazy....

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Yeah, ok, I get that and acknowledge it - but I think this has gotten a bit beyond that due to the USPS situation. Something is very much "off" with this whole thing. And the buyer not responding to anything so far, in my opinion, negates the argument of the title being the most important critieria. I see the ambiguity, but that's only a piece of what seems to have become a larger puzzle. 

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

"16 COUNT" means there was 16 in the box offered in your listing. The photo shows a box marked with "16" units. This one is on you. Also, "Packet" is a term often used by people in other countries for "Parcel", so your buyer might not have had the best grasp of the English language and didn't even read your description. 

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Did your buyer revise their feedback or did eBay remove it as I see no negative in your feedback now.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Ebay removed it. Once I sent the tracking info to them, I guess they considered it a qualifying event. I'm thankful and, even trying to be as objective as possible given the circumstances, agree that it was the right thing to do. Pure speculation, but it almost seems like the buyer did get it, took it right back to the post office (did he buy it by mistake...it happens) and then is it still in TX awaiting shipment? And if so...to where? Maybe it'll show up here in a few days or weeks. I'll gladly refund the buyer's money if the item comes back.  I'm just glad it's over. It was worth pursuing with the additional phone call and a few emails. Still no word from the buyer...I don't expect any. I'm done with him, hopefully anyway. 

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

Well, I disagree that it's "on me", and so does eBay in this particular case. Something way beyond just not being able to read (or not wishing to) has taken place with this transaction. The negative feedback was WAY more ambiguous than my title - had no idea what he even referred to - still don't. All this talk over the number of pieces in the container may not even be the issue. I may never know. 

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

I blocked him. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this item going forward. I'll keep checking on the tracking info. 

Message 30 of 36
latest reply