cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer leaves Negative Feedback for 32 sellers

I sent a message to eBay support since they are not answering their phones. My request for them to remove my negative was denied. So frustrating since this buyer leaves over 32 negatives for other sellers, some with the same reason she claims for us.  We sellers work VERY hard to keep our customers happy and our feedback ratings at 100%. We received a Negative rating from this buyer for a false accusation that the item she received smelled. We had 100% for many years without a problem and have sold Thousands of pieces of Clothing without a bad rating. We wash and clean all of our items before listing them and we also state that in our "condition description"  This buyer has given other sellers over 32 Negative Feedback, obviously there is something wrong with her since she has given all these Negative ratings for some of the same reason she left for us. We have NEVER had this problem with the over a thousand of clothing items we have sold in the past. Sad when eBay doesn't take common sense into consideration. Look at our 100% feedback and then look at the 32 negatives buyer has left for sellers. Ebay has done an injustice to the sellers when they took the capability to leave buyers a Negative feedback as well, how are we suppose to know what kind of buyer we're dealing with until it's too late. I know if I worked for ebay I would take the buyers feedback into consideration before making the decision of removing a negative feedback for a seller. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

If it appears the buyer is using feedback inappropriately, use the report a buyer feature. I used it recently and had a neutral feedback removed as the buyer left around 10% non positive feedback, and had offered to change feedback for a discount to me, which is feedback extortion. if these 32 feedbacks are out of 50, the buyer will likely have their account removed, or be warned but your negative should be retracted by eBay. You may have to send a few emails due to the pandemic. Don't think it will be resolved with one email to eBay these days

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

The fact that your seller has left 32 nergatives tells me nothing without some context about the buyer's activity on eBay. 

If a buyer had 32 transactions and left 32 negatives, that would certainly indicate a problem. But if a buyer had 1500 transactions and left 32 negatives, that might not be unusual at all. 

That side ... 

How exactly is eBay supposed to determine that the item you sent did not smell? 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

If you sent an email........it may take a day or two for ebay to answer.........

Two things in general

There ARE people who have very sensitive senses of smell......which may account for the number of bad smell feedbacks she's left.

While 32 seems alot, if she's bought 5000 items, it's probably not that bad a record......(something the ebay employees harp on)......

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Buyers like that can ruin our day for sure but then again your negative will go away in one year, the buyer's side however will always show the negative left for you under the "feedback left for others" tab.  So in effect negative feedback hurts the buyer more than the seller, and this part seems impractical to me but some sellers do check some buyer's feedback left tabs for the purpose of adding them to their BBL.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Buyer is severely lacking common sense, this buyer needs to purchase items by a hands on inspection, not on the internet!

EBay should remove the negative feedback left by this buyer.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I used to get good service from ebay when they had phone service. Now that they have gone to email only, it's a waste of time to even contact them.

I got "seller protection update" email from them today. They said: When you deliver on your service promises to create good buying experiences, we will protect you when a buyer falsely claims the item wasn’t described correctly or returns an item after using or damaging it. 

Just a big fat lie. At least in my case it is.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Hi, there is a link in the feedback policy to report an unfair negative. You might try again using that channel (if you haven't already). Perhaps you will get get a more understanding rep. Here is the policy link, below. After clicking on it, scroll down to near the end of the page. In the “Tip” box is the link to “Seller Help”. Then follow the prompts.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-policies?id=4208

I can see why eBay did not remove your neg. It doesn't break any policy rules, and is the opinion of the buyer. As negs go, it’s pretty mild. One negative in a sea of green As you have would not stop me from buying from you. Most shoppers know there are unreasonable people who can’t be pleased, so there is only one way that neg can really hurt you. That would be thru the follow-up comment.

If you leave a well-worded comment, that “blemish” could be even less likely to matter to future buyers. (But i would wait to leave a follow up until you try again to get it removed.)

Prospective buyers want to see how a seller handles a dispute. Savvy sellers express their concern and  next steps in the follow up. Something like “please contact us so we may address your concerns.” can disarm the negative. That puts the buyer’s needs in the forefront.

Conversely, sellers who devolve into leaving defensive statements (or blame the buyer, or name call) are shooting themselves in the foot and ensuring they will lose future sales.

A last thought: things happen in transit that can alter a package. There is no  empirical evidence that your buyer is stating a falsehood in their feedback remark. 

But the 32 negatives seems excessive to me. That would be the angle i would emphasize to eBay. Good luck, hope it gets removed.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

By my count, she has left negs on 21 of the last 33 feedbacks she left, and at least one of the first page of the positives was "seller resolved problem/refunded" type positive. Definitely a pattern. Very glad I saw the username before a mod deletes it.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Had to check it out for myself...

My goodness, what a nightmare buyer to deal with...

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

There ARE people who have very sensitive senses of smell......which may account for the number of bad smell feedbacks she's left.

Perhaps those sensitive people should not by buying used items online? 

eBay also 'harps' on the fact that ONE unhappy buyer experience is enough to have a buyer leave ebay and never return.  Unfortunately, this buyer is still here. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I had to cancel an offer received because after totaling Ebays fees and Paypals fees I was ending up giving away my $200 product for FREE AND HAVING TO SEND PRIORITY MAIL SHIPPING TO THEM FOR $8!! 

On top of that, Ebay would have taken ANOTHER FINAL VALUE FEE ON THE SAME SALE. The person left negative feedback messing up my 100% positive, oh well I don't care. I am not in the charity business giving away hard earned worked for product. It amazes me how people think they are entitled to you just giving them your stuff so they can turn around and sell it.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

The fees are stated up front..........if you were going to lose money on an offer.........you shouldn't have accepted the offer.......  Ebay's going to take a fee if you sell something......if you cancel for any reason other than buyer requested or problem with shipping address.......you owe the fee.....  If you sell the item again......they will charge another fee......  They brought the buyer (s) to you, you chose not to deliver the item.....therefore you owe the fee (s).......

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I would not worry about the neg. One neg won't  stop you from selling. It didn't  stop me.And if anyone actually bothered to see if the neg is justified they would see nobody else complained. HE MUST BE SMELLING HIS UPPER LIP!  Or maybe for lunch the mail carrier ate a stinky Gyros sandwich in his jeep and smoked a stinky cigar afterwards.

Besides that he should be rewashing used clothes. Some sellers might have cats that jump in the clean laundry basket after a trip to the litter box. Or they might have roaches crawling around.  Just saying.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

So insatiable, perpetually miserable people are not allowed to leave honest feedback?

I'm sure you can see the problem here...

I think ebay should implement a system like they have in jury selection: each attorney gets X number of unquestionable jury dismissals. Don't like they way they look? The way they walk? The feeling you get when you look into their eyes? Dismiss them, no questions asked. But you only get a few.

If sellers had some number of times they could delete feedback received each year, no questions asked - perhaps a number that is some fraction of the number of feedback responses they receive - that would go a long way to make sellers feel their hard work isn't going to be ruined by some random crazy person.

We only need a few. Just enough to mitigate the aberrant comment that bears no resemblance to reality (and ruins the result of our hard work for an entire year). I'm sure ebay could easily figure out how many we would need. Just take a thousand people with perfect feedback (except one), then figure out the number of free removals that reduce 80% of those to 100% positive.

Posting ID
Message 15 of 24
latest reply