cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is making a false return request that product was damaged in shipping

Hi everybody,

I've been selling on eBay for some years now and never ran into a situation like this one before.

To begin with, my listing was for a Dell laptop with the Buy It Now/Best Offer option.  After negotiating an acceptable price back and forth, the buyer gave me an amount in which I gladly accepted.

A certain number of days went by and...no payment.  I opened an unpaid item case.  Again, several days later, and still not a peep.  Shortly before I was about to close the case, I finally received the total amount via PayPal.  I promptly shipped the product to them after the holiday weekend.

Upon receipt, barely two hours after it was delivered by USPS, I get a notification for a return request from eBay.

After reviewing the options on how to settle the problem, I noticed the person uploaded a photo of a completely different laptop model other than what was sold to them (some standard Google image of a broken Dell laptop screen).  It was so blatantly obvious because the laptop itself looked as though it had shrunk during shipment.

Of course, instead of disputing it which would have inevitably led to me giving them a full reimbursement anyhow, I offered to accept a refund provided they send it back to me first (I'm guessing eBay will issue them a shipping label and bill me for it).  From what I understand, getting into a heated argument would have gotten me nowhere.  It seems as though eBay tends to side with the buyer, even if the seller is clearly in the right.

My main concerns are the following:

1.  What if the buyer intentionally breaks the monitor and/or removes parts before returning it?  That may very well happen just to make sure I cannot resell it under any circumstances.

2.  What if they actually return something different other than what was purchased?

3.  What do I do about possible negative feedback?

I'm assuming the buyer is just a con artist.  They probably expected me to believe the picture and just give them a full refund, writing it off as a loss.  If it was inexpensive, then I wouldn't have cared, but the total including shipping came out to $82.70.

Other than blocking the person from purchasing any future items, I may have to bite the bullet on this one.  I neglected to insure the package.  My only proof is some random image the buyer uploaded to eBay as part of the return request.

I will keep everybody posted on what occurs during the process.  As of now, they have until January 29, 2018 to make a decision.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Buyer is making a false return request that product was damaged in shipping

Not sure what delivery service you used but the weight of a laptop would qualify it for priority mail from the USPS which has insurance included. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Thank you, very helpful!

I figured I could at least get them for mail fraud with USPS, but didn't know about the Internet Crime Complaint Center and also filing police reports.

Even if I don't get my money back, I'm hoping the methods you mentioned scares them.

Oh, and I blocked the buyer the moment they filed a return request with a picture of another product.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Take that label to the Post Office for examination.  If they tampered with it, that could be a whole different kind of crime in addition to what mail fraud there might be for switching the item.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Very helpful and clear. Makes sense so that this will not happen to other sellers.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

wrote:
Very helpful and clear. Makes sense so that this will not happen to other sellers.

Thanks but the credit goes to retrose1.  She has posted this "how to handle a scammer" to-do list repeatedly.  It makes sense to do as much as you can to report buyers like this.  Once one seller lets it go and accepts the loss, those buyers get bolder and bolder toward the rest of us.

I'd fight a scammer for a single dollar if I knew I was right.

Joe

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

I had this exact thing happen with an item I sold as well. Except my item sat either in the post office or a loading dock for 8 days until “delivered”. I called eBay several times requested pictures of the damaged packaging and better pictures of the damaged item, and the buyer never once responded eBay inevitably sided with the buyer !
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Sorry.  I videotape receipt then opening every return.  Honestly had I been sent a stock photo I would have probably called Ebay and ask for advice

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

" I videotape receipt then opening every return. "

Why?

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

wrote:
If they returned other than what you sent, why in the world did you refund them? Now ebay cant help you, you should not have refunded, and reported to ebay that you did not get the same item back, ebay would have stood behind you.

LOL that’s funny. And so not true. eBay would have refunded the buyer period and IF the seller is lucky, eBay will give them a courtesy refund. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

VVideotaped to make sure no fraud (wrong item sent back....destroyed...etc)

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

How would a videotape prevent fraud?

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@comfycozies wrote:

Videotaped to make sure no fraud (wrong item sent back....destroyed...etc)

No it doesn't.  It's a total waste of time.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

eBay is doning NOTHING to protect us sellers.  The same thing has happened to me!

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Unfortunately, the only way for you to be absolutely sure that the item was not damaged during shipping is if the item was damaged before you sent it.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 29 of 29
latest reply