cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is drop shipping my items on Amazon

It has recently come to my attention that a seller on Amazon has taken my photos and listed my items for sale on Amazon.  When they sell something they buy it from me and put a note on the order asking it to be sent without an invoice or any type of branding.  From what I read on Amazon, drop shipping this way is not allowed.  They are also selling my items for 2-3 times more than what I sell them for on here.  I have reported this to Amazon but have not heard back.  Can I report them to eBay or should I just block the buyer and hope they don't have more buying accounts?  I like the sales, but I'm still not happy this is happening.  My items are branded with my seller name and website and it will be easy for customers to go to my eBay Store and see that they got ripped off on Amazon, then contact me thinking that I was the seller.  Anyone else have experience with this?   

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Buyer is drop shipping my items on Amazon

Does this happen often?  If so, then I don't see why you feel you can't raise your prices too, or if you are happy with your profit, then it is a sale. 

Do you make this item yourself or buy it elsewhere?   If elsewhere, then I assume you are also selling it for more than you bought it for.

It isn't your problem if their buyer gets angry about not shopping around, but it could benefit you in the end.

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

Don't forget, tribalism among Homo Sapiens manifests in the modern world with irrational brand and site loyalty.  That means that there are good odds that many of the sales the OP is getting from her drop shipper are going to buyers who will only buy on Amazon, and would never consider shopping eBay themselves.

So upping prices too much, like to the price the dropshipper is asking could suddenly kill sales altogether, as none of his buyers would come here instead.  Also remember that buyers on eBay are as a whole, cheapskates for lack of a better word; whereas over there buyers are more concerned with simply getting what they want as conveniently as possible, which can possibly explain why despite higher prices, sales still happen there.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 17 of 56
latest reply

@treasuredcharmsjewelry wrote:

All of my charms, necklaces and earrings are carded with my branding that includes my business name and eBay store.  Buyers are going to  know it didn't come from Amazon.  

That being the case, have you seen any of your own buyers first showing on your radar as an Amazon buyer from your competitor? Have you seen any buyers on Amazon who have bought your items more than once? Given what you describe, it sounds to me like you already have everything all set up to pinch your rival's buyers as soon as they figure out for themselves where the better deals will come from. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 56
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

Yes, you can report it - and should, in my opinion as this borders on fraud and you could get caught in the middle. I'm unsure if they will/can do anything about it, but at least your protest will be on file. 

Use your block list and prevent this person from buying your things in the first place (if you don't need the sales that badly). And since watermarks are still allowed (I think - please research it first) in photos, consider branding your photos with your store name so they can't be stolen and used as you describe. 

You can also contact the FTC - maybe they will have a solution.  Good luck.

IT's not fraud and it's nothing to notify the FTC about.  There's nothing illegal about drop-shipping.

The only thing that AZ restricts re: drop-shipping is using one's own prime account to drop-ship FROM Amazon.

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I've read about this.  Why not raise your prices?  If they are selling your items for 3 to 4 times more, that would be a valid consideration.  

Sorry, that should be 2 -3 times more.  I just inadvertently upped his profit!

Message 20 of 56
latest reply

It is actually prohibited by Amazon.  Directly from their website:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/external/201808410?language=en-US&ref=mpbc_201808430_cont_2...

Examples of drop shipping that is not permitted:

• Purchasing products from another online retailer and having that retailer ship directly to customers; or
  • Shipping orders with packing slips, invoices, or other information indicating a seller name or contact information other than your own.

Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the suspension or removal of your selling privileges.

The buyer is asking me to do both of those things - ship directly to the customer and omit my packing slip indicating I am a different seller.  

Message 21 of 56
latest reply

You can go after them for using your photos.  They are your intellectual property--with or without a watermark.  They can't use them without your permission.  I would report that to Amazon.

If it's one particular buyer, can't you just block them?

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

@treasuredcharmsjewelry wrote:

When they sell something they buy it from me and put a note on the order asking it to be sent without an invoice or any type of branding.

Anyone else have experience with this?   

Yes, I have. My response was to include a nice note inside identifying myself as the original point of sale, and that the sale was conducted on eBay. "If you bought this on another venue, you probably paid much more than I sold it for on eBay". Then add the eBay buyer to your block list.

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

Thank you so much for this info -- this really helps!!
Message 24 of 56
latest reply

Why would you want to cut off what appears to be a consistent source of sales?
Message 25 of 56
latest reply

@la*belle*boutique wrote:
Why would you want to cut off what appears to be a consistent source of sales?

I'm wondering the same. If the buyer is a drop shipper, then they don't have a case against you if something happens, as they didn't send it to themselves and drop shipping is not covered on ebay. I would just include a "gift receipt" with your name on it and the buyer will figure it out on their own, like I did when I receive from amazon something I purchased on ebay. If they are inclined they will purchase it from you next time, otherwise from the amazon seller. So either way you win.

Message 26 of 56
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm always looking for great sorces for my dropshipping business.

What is your return policy by the way?

Do you combine shipping?

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

@namtrag1 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm always looking for great sorces for my dropshipping business.

What is your return policy by the way?

Do you combine shipping?

heeeyyyyy... 😉

Message 28 of 56
latest reply

The point is this, these Amazon sellers are middlemen connecting eBay sellers to Amazon buyers.  Obviously, some eBay sellers could move to Amazon and capture the higher prices and profit on the Amazon seller is asking.  The problem is Amazon has barriers to entry in certain categories and grandfathered seller accounts with zero restrictions on what they can sell.

I perform all of the procurement, storage, listing and shipping of my items on eBay.  I have cash tied up in my inventory and assume all of the risks.  I don't do all of this so someone else can simply use software to list my item on a competing platform, which I'm barred from selling my brands on, so they can reap profits from my hard work.   

Message 29 of 56
latest reply

Message 30 of 56
latest reply