cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is claiming a Trombone I shipped isn't how I described.

I recently sold a Conn Trombone, I had it as a auction listing with lot's of pictures. I had played the trombone myself and it worked fine, I made sure and described that it was old and had considerable tarnish but very minor dings, it also had 2 mouth pieces equally as old as the trombone. It was in a hard case. The buyer offered a $100.00 and shipping costs if I would make it buy it now for him. I clearly said in the listing that the trombone worked but because of the tarnish and age I was selling it in as is condition. As soon as the buyer paid the buy it now he made insane demand on how to ship it that would have doubled or tripled the size of the package, I made it clear that it would do the same to the shipping costs (that he had already paid) Anyway he got the trombone and sent pictures with a few big dents and creases in the trombone, he claimed the slide would not move. The trombone was in a hardcase in a box, he admitted the hardcase wasn't damaged. He wanted me to refund him $90.00 and to let him keep the trombone. I refused and told him to send it back. He opened a case claiming I misrepresented the trombone. Bottom line he is trying to either get free mouthpieces or both and he took pictures of another instrument that is dented like that. I might add that he is a dealer of wind instruments in Philadelphia. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer is claiming a Trombone I shipped isn't how I described.

Provide a return shipping label, and refund after return.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@bryan8707 

If you want something returned before refunding, accept the return and pay return shipping.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

**bleep**:  I played the trombone for 12 years, even I am not this dumb.  I don’t care whom it is they damaged the item themself.  They should be ashamed of themselves because at $100 it’s a bargain no matter the tarnish.  Someone else at your local school could have used this.  Shame on this scammer.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

None of the extenuating circumstances have any bearing on a Not As Described case. Doesn't matter it was sold as-is.

When a buyer invokes the Money Back Guarantee, the seller must refund 99% of the time. If you do not do so after the return, eBay will forcibly refund on your behalf with your held funds. Then give you an account defect and charge you the Final Value fees as a penalty.

If you want it back, you must pay return shipping. Then, even if the instrument was not returned in the condition it was sold at, you will still be forced to refund. This is the risk all sellers agree to when using the platform. 

If you wish, you can appeal the outcome when eBay decides for the buyer. See link below for how to do this. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you, but your best move is to accept the return, provide a shipping label, and refund when you receive the trombone back.  Otherwise, because of your "No returns" policy, eBay will refund the buyer and  let him keep the trombone.  If you get the trombone back, at least you will have something to sell to recoup some of your loss.

-

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Sorry to hear. Sounds like all the telltale signs were there. Definitely would add someone like that to the blocked bidder list as soon as you see that first troubling message come in. When buyers message and ask if I'll accept a price and it's not within about 20% of my current price, I block. If they are messaging me, it's likely because mine is the lowest price or one of the nicer items. If I decline a lowball offer and they reluctantly buy at a higher price, in my opinion, they are more likely to pull shenanigans. I would probably call the buyer's possible bluff and have him return it prior to issuing any sort of refund. Report the buyer if he damaged the items and just do all you can against them legally. Well packaged items rarely ever get damaged in shipment. You can pack stuff in checked luggage and it'll arrive fine if packaged right. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Not sure I'd buy a Trombone after Somone's lips have been on it but each to their own. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@greg_orye wrote:

Not sure I'd buy a Trombone after Somone's lips have been on it but each to their own. 

Mouthpieces are routinely sterilised and cleaned. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The buyer got a huge bargain at the $150ish he paid with shipping and tax.  But he's reselling and wants to maximize his profit.  

There are a lot of resellers who buy on ebay, then ask for a discount after it's received.  It's planned.

Just tell the buyer to return for a refund, repeat frequently.  No partial refunds.  And block him from ever buying from you again.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Sounds like a bait and switch, he is trying to pass of a direct and damaged instrument as the one you sent. I would hope eBay sided with you but you might eat this one. eBay is all about the buyer and will even go as far as helping buyers scam sellers to make the buyer ( scammer ) happy. a single bad user review is far worse to eBay than loosing a seller or two.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

As  justafemster  mentioned a lot of buyers will phish for a discount after they have purchased and received an item but they generally first try to do this simply through messages as your buyer did. Often refusing to partially discount and offering a full refund with the return of the item you never hear from the buyer again. In your case the buyer opened what amounts to a NAD case through eBay. You have to respond to the NAD case and you should know your options. 

While your listing stated does not accept returns that is nullified by the eBay MBG. Personally I would offer the buyer a full refund upon return of the item and make sure you send them a return shipping label. You have the serial number of the trombone you sent so it should match the one you get back. If this is truly a 1921 Conn trombone it is a vintage instrument and Conn makes some high quality trombones. You could explore options once you have the trombone back. You may be able to sell the mouthpieces separately, some of those are solid sliver, others silver plated. There are a number of restoration businesses that may be interested in the item for refurbishment. Or you could part out the pieces. 

If the buyer returns a different trombone, aka serial numbers do not match or something else is off report them for abusing the return policy. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

And filing a police report for theft if the serial numbers on the returned item don't match.  

Gawds, I despise those kinds of 'buyers'. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply