cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer gave negative feedback plus wants to return item!

Hi all! I really just need to vent! I listed a vintage item, that had some defects that I described in the description and showed in the pictures.

Louisville S and P 2.PNGLouisville S and P 1.PNG  

I took a chance on listing them because well they were repaired and not in the condition I typically sell things. I figured they would NEVER sell because of the defects.  Well low and behold, someone bought them! Yay!!

Now they want to return them because "the handles have been repaired" plus the buyer has already given me negative feedback! I am really taken aback by the instant negative feedback and I am like 😤. Personally, I don't even want to deal with the buyer because of this. The buyer didn't even give me an opportunity to discuss with them and accept the return before the negative feedback was given.  In addition to that, the reason for the return was what was put in the description as a defect. This is not something that I hid from potential buyers.

I know I am going to end up taking the "L" on this one. What would you all have done in this instance? I don't want anyone to chastise me or anything like that. Just a sympathetic ear and maybe a "yeah, it's happened to me too!"

Thanks for your ear!

Lori  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

1.  Buyers do not read.

2.  Never sell anything you would not purchase yourself.

If something is "rare" or OOP and repaired - that is one thing.  There are enough issues selling pre-owned items that are in pristine condition. 

On a heavy item like that, I would sincerely apologize, refund in full and ask the Buyer to then revise the FB.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

1.  Buyers do not read.

2.  Never sell anything you would not purchase yourself.

If something is "rare" or OOP and repaired - that is one thing.  There are enough issues selling pre-owned items that are in pristine condition. 

On a heavy item like that, I would sincerely apologize, refund in full and ask the Buyer to then revise the FB.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

OHH yes it has happened to me  not with feedback but buyer stating its defective when in my description its Clearly pictured and mentioned. eBay always gives into the buyer. I took item back, refunded. just dont know who paid to ship it back cause it didn't come out of my account. I lost on the initial shipping cost. Nothing on ebay is sold AS IS, NO RETURNS, seller is wrong even when they are right, part of the frustration of online selling.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I figured they would NEVER sell because of the defects.   

It sounds like you figured right. 

In addition to that, the reason for the return was what was put in the description as a defect. This is not something that I hid from potential buyers.

The feedback also says it was dirty. I did not see that mentioned in the listing. 

What would you all have done in this instance?

I would have followed my initial insticts and not listed them. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I just had to accept a return for the same situation. Pair of jeans buyer said they were patched to the point they were unwearable and it was not shown in the photos. It was clearly shown in the photos and description was not even a patch just a very slight distortion and no where near unwearable. These are an $80 pair of jeans they got for $20. Thankfully they didn't leave neg feedback.....yet. Still **bleep** they are allowed to return it as INAD even tho it was. I almost wonder if she ordered and they didn't fit right so she returned. I find it very hard to believe a buyer with over 40 feedback from buying in last 30days with 3000+ feedback would not even bother looking at the photos of a pre owned pair of jeans.

If you have free returns accepted call eBay and ask for a supervisor to remove the neg. They will do that if you offer and accept the free return. Ive been thinking about switching all my listings to free returns because it seems like 95% of the time you are going to eat the return anyways prob worth it having that protection from neg feedbacks.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yep, buyers just don't read.

You will probably have to accept the return.

Then respond to their feedback with . .. .

Accepted return because the buyer cannot read about the defects and the description. Sent refund for a reading tutor.    (that's just me thinking . . ..   LOL  )

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The dirty part... I have no idea what they are talking about.  All of the other items in this pattern/brand that I have/had for sale all had a gray hue to them. It is perhaps maybe what the buyer is talking about.? IDK. 🤷‍♀️

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@urbanpeddler 

First thing before you do anything else: BBL!!

I'm sorry you got a buyer who didn't read, didn't contact you first, didn't enlarge the pictures and negged you without contacting you first. 

In this case, I wouldn't even take the return but would just issue the refund and tell the buyer to dispose of the items. (You certainly won't be reselling them!) It's a total loss but one you seem to already have learned from.

What you might have done in the listing (that you did in your OP here) is to draw arrows, circle and highlight all flaws and fixes. That way, even if the buyer doesn't read, she would have (possibly) seen the arrows and double-checked what they were pointing at. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@urbanpeddler wrote:

The dirty part... I have no idea what they are talking about.  All of the other items in this pattern/brand that I have/had for sale all had a gray hue to them. It is perhaps maybe what the buyer is talking about.? IDK. 🤷‍♀️

I was simply pointing out that the feedback mentioned more than just the broken handle. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@urbanpeddler wrote:

I was simply pointing out that the feedback mentioned more than just the broken handle. 

Yes.  These should not have been sold online.  Flea market perhaps or on a thrift store shelf where they could be held examined prior to purchase.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Just a suggestion that was given long ago by blues...........in the condition field at the top of the listing page.....where you have Used......THAT'S where you describe the problems/defects with an item.  As such, the problems will then show up just below the title  both on a PC and mobile........and hopefully inform the buyer right off the bat as to any imperfections.  This came up in response to a question of a seller who had no returns....and the Blue said, if the info was in that place, Ebay would NOT require a seller to accept a return....whether that would hold true for Ebay to remove negative feedback, I don't know, but would certainly give you a better shot.

As has been said many times.........buyers don't have to contact seller with a problem, and if you want the neg removed, you need to work with the buyer..... since you've already answered the feedback, probably not now an option. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Leaving negative feedback does not negate the option to request a return.

I have sold this pattern before and it has a 'ugly yellow' paint that glazes over the blue, which could be what the buyer is calling dirty. 

If you view these boards long enough, you will see there are plenty of false Item Not As Described claims.   This may fit that category since you DID describe the flaws, but eBay will respond in the same manner - force you to accept the return, pay for a return shipping label, and refund the buyer in full upon return.

Do you really want these items back?   

Other responders - is there a ding the seller will get for refunding a buyer in full outside a claim?   

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I would have had multiple pictures zooming in on the defects.  I'll bet you didn't list the picture with the red highlighting?  That was so we could see, right?  Just describing the defects in the description is not enough.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi , just happened to me , listed a pair of shoes ( clearly showed any scuffs in pics) she sent me a rude message saying sole coming off , even though wasn’t when I tried on . She left me negative feedback and then a message saying ‘I want a refund and return postage ! ‘ to which I replied you have left me negative and try not being rude and get some manners. Some vile humans out there .

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Old thread from 2021.

It's best to start your own thread instead of dragging up an ancient one from 3 years ago that may contain outdated information.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply