cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filing chargeback with financial institution after 5 months, INAD, money taken from my account

Hi. I'm hoping someone out there can give me some advice on the below as I can't get my head around it but I am sure it isn't right...! I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible:

On 24/11/19, I was paid through PayPal for an item (a coat) I sold on eBay (£50 - the money does bother me but it is also just the principle!). The buyer is in the USA and paid through PayPal. No problems. The coat was in good condition, matched its description, photos on the ad etc.
I dispatched the item and that was that. Didn't hear from them again.
On 18/04/20, a case was opened on PayPal - note, not a dispute - a case. PayPal themselves state that if there are any issues, the buyer should contact the seller (me) to discuss, then open a dispute, then finally a case if it can't be resolved. This all according to their own guidance on resolutions. So my first thoughts were - how come this has gone straight to being a case without there being a dispute or even any contact?
The buyer has never contacted me directly, and there are no notes on the case details apart from an automated comment stating:
"The buyer reported that the item they received wasn't as described. After reviewing the information we received, we were unable to cover the payment in this case. However, we might be able to recover this from the buyer's financial institution. Once we file a case on your behalf with the buyer's financial institution, it could take up to 75 days to get a resolution. If we're able to recover the payment of £52.98 GBP, we'll refund the money to your PayPal balance."
On 21/04/20 I added my comments to the case - all I was able to do was submit this on the case page, where I basically stated that I disagreed with this since the buyer had not contacted me directly, not opened a dispute through PayPal or eBay, nor submitted any evidence whatsoever to prove that the item was 'not as described'. PayPal simply removed the 50 quid from my account with no warning and have said if they can get it back, they will, but can't make any promises.

Now my question is - how is any of this OK? My thoughts (or aghast comments):
- How can the buyer raise this after 5 months? Surely if there was an issue, they should have to contact me within a certain timeframe to resolve it? Even if the coat is now damaged, how can anyone know at this point whether it arrived like that or whether they've done it themselves? Should they not have to offer to return to the item to get a refund?
- How can the case be ruled in the buyer's favour when they haven't submitted any photo evidence, nor even written a single comment themselves? Neither myself nor PayPal have heard from the buyer directly - the case was simply opened and the money taken from my account. Should I not be able to discuss this and argue my case??
- According to PayPal, "this was a chargeback that was filed directly with your buyer's financial institution. That is why it did not go through the usual disputes process that we have here in PayPal." and "When the card company decides the case in the buyer's favor we cannot dispute the chargeback any further. If you would like to take action outside of PayPal we recommend you reach out to the buyer directly for further resolution, file complaints with various fraud organizations, or take legal action if necessary."

So I now have to sit and wait for the 'investigation' by Paypal, and if they do decide that the buyer 'wins' then I have no say in the matter and they just take the money. How is this allowed? Surely anyone could just buy something online, wait 5 months and complain to their bank that there was something wrong and get a refund... It is really bothering me that at no point have I been able to talk directly with the buyer (I sent them an email asking for an explanation/ways to resolve this but have obviously heard nothing back...) and PayPal can't talk to them on my behalf. Is it just me or does this reek of dodgy fraud? A silent anonymous buyer getting their money back without saying a word, submitting any evidence, bypassing the PayPal/eBay resolution centres completely and waiting 5 months to do it all? Is this wire fraud?

Does anyone have ANY thoughts/advice/experience on the above? I'm at a complete loss - it may not be a load of money but it's still money I wasn't expecting to just be taken from my account without any warning! 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer filing chargeback with financial institution after 5 months, INAD, money taken from my acc

Similar situation here and with a 4000$ item. After three months he opened a case with PayPal, through her financial institution, claiming it was not as described. ...
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Buyer filing chargeback with financial institution after 5 months, INAD, money taken from my acc

I had a “buyer” case opened against me this week for $1740. On PayPal Of an item I refunded, Completely $1740. Refunded, never sent Pendant on a closed Cancelled eBay sale Case on an item I relisted currently For sale on Now eBay!

I’m convinced she’s a psychopath thief scammer getting her financial institution Now involved.  She’s a deranged person who in her eBay message to me stated she’s angry being refunded the money for the item acknowledging There was no sale...
Her PayPal case was for never receiving the item.

I called PayPal for 3rd time about this item no sale & they also agreed she is up to something Crooked fraudulent.
This scum is allowed To be operational on eBay.  She scares me!  So crazy!

trinton@ebay.com
Frankly she is crazy.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I had a similar refund for a small purchase occur from pay pal. No notification from buyer through eBay or Paypal of a problem or a chance to reconcile. In Fact it was a refund for an item not received for a sail I was never notified of.  I Still had the item for sale on ebay and no record of it ever selling.  It was mystery that could not be explained by eBay or PayPal. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I’m afraid there is some Bank financial procedure I have no knowledge of where this psycho can put her criminal mind to getting another $1740. Of my money Somehow!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Did they leave feedback? If they did, you win.

This happened to me. Someone opened a case saying their account was hacked and they wanted a refund for an item that was purchased months ago, saying they didn't order it. I searched feedback- and voila! they left good feedback - case closed!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Lets face it, most buyers requesting returns do not adhere to eBays policy and inform the buyer regarding an issue with their purchase, prior to opening a case.   Also, that the item must be returned in the same condition as purchased. 

RE:  On 21/04/20 I added my comments to the case - all I was able to do was submit this on the case page, where I basically stated that I disagreed with this since the buyer had not contacted me directly, not opened a dispute through PayPal or eBay, nor submitted any evidence whatsoever to prove that the item was 'not as described'. 

From your comments, you didn't mention that the buyer has not returned your coat and that she has exceeded the time limit of 120 days to open a charge back with her credit card provider.  This requirement is stipulated in eBay Policy.

In my opinion, the key is whether the buyer exceeded the 120 day time frame for initiating a chargeback?

formatio

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Ask them to return the item, like so:

Watch carefully and don't just jump out with the first thing she says, don't be afraid to rewatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6uiaxQoJtg&t=585

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I wonder if I should go to the police as this is Attempted bank fraud because the buyer states To her financial institution that I didn’t ship out merchandise For which she was already Proven by eBay & PayPal Completely to be refunded?  

Why does she think I should ship out my item when she was 100% refunded?
 That is reason she never received item.
What is she up to making a case of item not received through PayPal?

I bought it to sell here not to keep for myself & that’s why it’s relisted.
Item # 193539956500

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Please note you are bringing a paypal issue to the ebay community, perhaps the paypal community would have better input?

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Community/ct-p/en

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Excuse me!  

It was because of a cancellation of an eBay sale by an eBay “buyer” on this eBay site!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@elizabetharscott 

You are in the UK.......this is the US Board........there may be different rules/law governing this kind of thing in the UK.......I suggest you post on the UK board........

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

Excuse me!  

It was because of a cancellation of an eBay sale by an eBay “buyer” on this eBay site!

Whoa, this is about an INAD filed through Paypal, read the OP again if you don't believe me.

Also you are not the OP and the OP is who I replied to, your reply is both inappropriate and rude.

When the content does not apply to the OP you should not reply unless replied to.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply