cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed a payment dispute with their financial institution

I cannot find a situation quite like mine after searching "payment disputes with financial institution"   I am appreciate of the outcome for me but feel bad for e-bay if this is how these cases end up....

On 1/29/24 I sold a book for $125. I always purchase postage through e-bay  and they have recorded that the book was delivered on 2/2 (not bad for media mail NY to Montana).  Buyer left positive feedback and even sent  a couple of e-bay messages to me.  The first saying that they left feedback and the second  about how excited she was with the book as she was getting into it (hey, its a good Stephen King book). 

3/16 I received the following from e-bay:

buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on Jan 29, 2024. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. They are requesting $125.60 back and the reason for this dispute is that the buyer did not recognize the transaction. The good news is that you’re protected for this dispute under eBay seller protection policy

Today I receive the following:

The buyer’s payment institution sided with the buyer. The good news is that you’re protected for this dispute under eBay seller protection policy. We won't deduct the dispute amount from your funds. You're not required to take any action at this time.

I am not out any money but I assume e-bay had to refund the buyer....that is just not right.  There is no way for me to respond to the dispute reminding e-bay that the buyer received the item and I have written proof she is happy with it. 

I keep an eye on what my feedback number is and before writing this I noticed it dropped by 1 and sure enough, I can no longer find her feedback but on the sellers hub under orders paid and shipped it still shows the green plus that she left feedback.  Can a buyer retract feedback?  She was probably trying to cover her tracks unless e-bay removed it. 

Anyway, that's my story and I am happy that at least for now I am not out any money...and yes, I have blocked the buyer. 

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

@gurlcat wrote:

LOL well I guess theoretically anyone "can" do anything they want in their mind or something.  Maybe you didn't see message #55 where the OP reiterated that there was no dispute page where she could do a response like what you keep talking about (which I am already keenly familiar with, but cannot seem to make clear to you it was NOT what this dispute had).  

You can laugh all you want.  The truth of how it works is in the policy pages in which I provided multiple times.  Because some members haven't located where to see a Chargeback doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  But what it means is the member was not able to locate it.  

The OP was told in the email they got from Ebay that they did not need to respond to the Chargeback, NOT that they couldn't respond to the Chargeback.  Big difference in those two things.

Here is another active thread that the OP DID submit their evidence on the Chargeback.  I'm not sure if you will believe this OP as you don't believe Ebay's written policy either.  But here it is anyway for your review if you want to.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-submits-payment-dispute-4-months-after-delivery/m-p/3436...

Your link reference is for a TOTALLY different type of chargeback and in fact the seller has to respond or loose the chargeback. The OP's case was for a buyer who did not recognize the charge. 

Message 61 of 87
latest reply

The staff handling these must be proficient in managed payments to know how to properly submit the rebuttal using the evidence they have assisted by the seller uploading the file. That is GREAT that they have expanded what the seller can submit to them. I would imagine then they take all that information and put it into a proper rebuttal letter to the FI. The people doing this stuff have to be versed in all the CC codes. Each FI has their own codes and policies. It’s why sellers on their own websites sometimes buy a subscription to a CC chargeback company who handles their chargebacks.  It’s also why a seller who is inexperienced in this stuff should not be doing the rebuttal themselves. Whether the win rate is higher with these companies like Chargebacks 911,  not sure, but the rebuttals have to be done properly.

Message 62 of 87
latest reply

I have gotten the did not recognize charge one’s and also did not have to lift a finger. Done deal. These are the easiest to win for ebay and I betcha they do usually win them.

Message 63 of 87
latest reply

All ebay has to do when a buyer says they did not purchase the item is send the FI the details of the transaction and if the cardholders name, address etc on ebay account match the account holders name, address on the credit card and that item was delivered to that name and address. If people are letting their relatives play around with their card and that merchandise gets sent to the card holders address it’s pretty hard for the FI to say the chargeback was legit. They are not going to babysit your credit card that way. But, people can claim their card was stolen/lost, however those purchases will not be items that show up in the cardholders mailbox at that address. 

Message 64 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@gurlcat wrote:

LOL well I guess theoretically anyone "can" do anything they want in their mind or something.  Maybe you didn't see message #55 where the OP reiterated that there was no dispute page where she could do a response like what you keep talking about (which I am already keenly familiar with, but cannot seem to make clear to you it was NOT what this dispute had).  

You can laugh all you want.  The truth of how it works is in the policy pages in which I provided multiple times.  Because some members haven't located where to see a Chargeback doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  But what it means is the member was not able to locate it.  

The OP was told in the email they got from Ebay that they did not need to respond to the Chargeback, NOT that they couldn't respond to the Chargeback.  Big difference in those two things.

Here is another active thread that the OP DID submit their evidence on the Chargeback.  I'm not sure if you will believe this OP as you don't believe Ebay's written policy either.  But here it is anyway for your review if you want to.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-submits-payment-dispute-4-months-after-delivery/m-p/3436...

Your link reference is for a TOTALLY different type of chargeback and in fact the seller has to respond or loose the chargeback. The OP's case was for a buyer who did not recognize the charge. 

Uh-oh.  You called it a chargeback.  Don't you know that's not what eBay calls it?  🤣

Message 65 of 87
latest reply

Uh-oh.  You called it a chargeback.  Don't you know that's not what eBay calls it?  

Sometimes eBay doesn't know what to call it. From one of their policies. 

laugh.jpg

dbfolks166mt_0-1711335808117.png

Message 66 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Please share with me where in the policy that there is different rules for different reasons to open a dispute/chargeback?  You posted on that thread too, but you didn't bring up the fact that the OP submitted information on the Dispute/Chargeback.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 67 of 87
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I have gotten the did not recognize charge one’s and also did not have to lift a finger. Done deal. These are the easiest to win for ebay and I betcha they do usually win them.

That does NOT mean you could not have submitted information / evidence.  It just means you did not and/or Ebay told you it wasn't necessary like they did the OP.  But they did NOT tell you or the OP that you could NOT submit info.

Message 68 of 87
latest reply

@gurlcat 

Uh-oh.  You called it a chargeback.  Don't you know that's not what eBay calls it?  

It has been this way going on FOUR years now.  While the rest many in the rest of the world call them Chargebacks, Ebay has decided on this site they are called Disputes.  Call them whatever you want, it doesn't change the FACTS of how they work.

Message 69 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Please share with me where in the policy that there is different rules for different reasons to open a dispute/chargeback?  You posted on that thread too, but you didn't bring up the fact that the OP submitted information on the Dispute/Chargeback. 

This is one of those cases where eBay has changed a process and simply not updated the policy to reflect the change, so there is nothing I can show you in the policy. I am going by my own past experiences with chargebacks and what the OP, and others, have stated multiple times. 

It's like the information from one of the policies that I posted where eBay calls them chargebacks while other policies call them disputes. 

Message 70 of 87
latest reply

Payment dispute is a chargeback interchangeable terms but really it should be one or the other for clarity to the customer. And all this crazy banter about it here. Most people understand the term Chargeback.

Message 71 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Please show me where in the policy that it even mention the different reasons for a Chargeback Dispute.  You are referring to something that does NOT exist in the policy.

This policy has not been changed other than to add the ability to attach more documents / pictures.

I'm unsure as to how productive it is to continue to discuss this policy as clearly you have your mind set that it is NOT as the policy or the Seller Updated provides.

Message 72 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Please show me where in the policy that it even mention the different reasons for a Chargeback Dispute.  You are referring to something that does NOT exist in the policy.

This policy has not been changed other than to add the ability to attach more documents / pictures.

I'm unsure as to how productive it is to continue to discuss this policy as clearly you have your mind set that it is NOT as the policy or the Seller Updated provides.

Pointless to continue as you are obviously NEVER wrong and  you are correct it is NOT as the policy states. That policy needs to be updated to reflect the current process for when eBay handles a chargeback/dispute internally and does NOT require or allow the seller to submit anything in response to the informatory message. 

Message 73 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Lets try it this way.  Please point out in the policy where is says the policy only applies to certain reasons for why the buyer opened the Chargeback / dispute.  That would help me to better understand your position.

Well now you are stating things just cuz you can and not back it up with any facts.  "Pointless to continue as you are obviously NEVER wrong..."  I never said or implied anything close to that.  I backed up everything I said with policies of Ebay that also stated what I said.  You are choosing to dismiss the Ebay policy pages as being incorrect because you believe differently.

Wait, I never said "...does NOT require or allow the seller to submit anything in response to the informatory message. "  I have never said that the only way to respond to a Chargeback Dispute is through the email the seller receives notifying them of the Chargeback.  Further I have been VERY clear in my posts, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, that the email the OP received said they did not need to respond to the Chargeback.    Need to does NOT = can't.  It only means exactly what it says, the seller is not required to respond to the Chargeback, but if they want to they can.

Message 74 of 87
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Lets try it this way.  Please point out in the policy where is says the policy only applies to certain reasons for why the buyer opened the Chargeback / dispute.  That would help me to better understand your position.

Well now you are stating things just cuz you can and not back it up with any facts.  "Pointless to continue as you are obviously NEVER wrong..."  I never said or implied anything close to that.  I backed up everything I said with policies of Ebay that also stated what I said.  You are choosing to dismiss the Ebay policy pages as being incorrect because you believe differently.

Wait, I never said "...does NOT require or allow the seller to submit anything in response to the informatory message. "  I have never said that the only way to respond to a Chargeback Dispute is through the email the seller receives notifying them of the Chargeback.  Further I have been VERY clear in my posts, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, that the email the OP received said they did not need to respond to the Chargeback.    Need to does NOT = can't.  It only means exactly what it says, the seller is not required to respond to the Chargeback, but if they want to they can.

Lets try it this way I will purchase one of your items and once I have it I will open a chargeback using the reason item not recognized. When you get the informational notification from eBay you can come back and let us know what you can ACTUALLY do in response to the chargeback. 

I have had several of these types of chargebacks and like the OP stated, I stated and multiple others stated you CANNOT respond to those informational messages. I do not really care what the policy says I know from experience how this actually works. Give me a few minutes and I will find something to purchase. 

Message 75 of 87
latest reply