cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed PP dispute within hours of purchase and before I shipped. Can this effect me?

Yesterday I accepted an offer and a couple of hours later the buyer paid through paypal. This morning, I got a few alerts on my phone but couldn't check it right away because I was driving. I'd gotten messages from the buyer: the first was asking for me to cancel the order. The second (sent about 10 minutes later) was the buyer saying they wanted the order canceled, why wasn't I responding, they filed a claim through paypal, and needed to hear from me asap. I sent them a message telling them that now that they'd filed an claim, I couldn't just cancel the order and I'd try to handle the situation when I got back home. So now I'm home.

Anyway, the buyer's notes on the paypal dispute is "emailed seller to cancel order no response." I'm about to refund their money through PP so I can cancel their order, but before I do I'd like to make super duper sure that won't backfire on me for some archaic eBay and paypal dumb rules reason. I know I sound silly and paranoid, but I've just returned to eBay after a decade absense, and so much has changed I'm having trouble remembering or keeping track of wires to trip over. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Buyer filed PP dispute within hours of purchase and before I shipped. Can this effect me?

The buyer just clicks on   "I just escaped from a mental hospital and opened an account"....     the rest is automated apparently. 

This is simply incredible !!!

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Buyer filed PP dispute within hours of purchase and before I shipped. Can this effect me?

Some buyers seem to think we sellers are on call 24 hours a day. Sometimes time zone differences can mean the seller is sleeping while a buyer is firing off panicky emails. Why the impatience? As a buyer, you are protected. Give it at least a day before filing a claim. These kind of buyers really tick me off.  A

Anyway once you refund the buyer, PayPal will immediately close the claim. Do it through PayPal's refund process from the order history/details. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Or, if you're like me and work graveyard, while the buyer is awake I'm most likely asleep.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@ericcanti_0 wrote:

How are buyers able to open disputes this quickly?

No idea. It's a Paypal dispute, not an eBay dispute, so maybe PP doesn't have wait times.

What did he file it as INR or SNAD - or something else?

Under the reason it states "Credit not processed." No idea what that means.

And your buyer should know that many sellers will cooperate and cancel, but they do not have to.

That's true, but I personally have no desire to force a buyer to be a customer. I was happy to cancel for them, and I let them know that, but their filing that dispute muddied everything.

I would get on the phone with PayPal and find out what that means .... it almost sounds as if the buyer canceled his payment 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

So there is a 7 day waiting period?

That is what I always thought.

No. That is incorrect. The 7 day waiting period is for escalating and they don't always make you wait. If its been more than 7 days since the payment was made, there isn't a waiting period, I know from experience. From the paypal UA--If you are making an Item Not Received claim, PayPal may ask you to wait at least 7 days from the transaction date to escalate the dispute. " https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection

There is NO waiting period in regards to opening a dispute. It can be opened immediately. Has been that way for years. This paypal help page suggests buyers wait 3 days after purchase before opening an INR on ebay purchases https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-did-not-receive-the-item-i-purchased-or-it-is-different... But again the INR can be filed immediately.

Either something changed or I had someone at paypal who did not know the rules.

I bought something which I found out 10 minutes later was a scam.  Stolen picture and description.

Paypal made me wait a week to cancel.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

The buyer just clicks on   "I just escaped from a mental hospital and opened an account"....     the rest is automated apparently. 

This is simply incredible !!!

I guess paypal considers me sane because at I said in previous post they made me wait a week even though it was obvious the seller was a scammer.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply