cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer extreme demands for SNAD

I accidentally sent a buyer the wrong shirt and filed a SNAD, which is fine. I accepted them and the buyer generated the postage. But now the buyer is very upset. They are complaining that they have to spend gas money to go to the PO, pay for the parking meter, and buy a poly bag to ship the shirt in. And they are saying they don't have time to wait at home for the mail carrier to pick up the package. They are saying they have to do all the work and I'm not doing anything. They demand that I mail them a poly envelope and pay them for the gas money and parking meter.

How would you respond?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Buyer extreme demands for SNAD

Sorry just no.  If you buy something at a store and find something wrong with it you have to pay the gas to go back to the store   I don't see stores refunding buyers for gas.  If it fits in a poly mailer it should fit in a mailbox.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Ebay funnels buyers into SNADs when something goes wrong. It's how they want buyers and sellers communicate now. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. I'd still provide the same level of customer service as I always do.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

Ebay funnels buyers into SNADs when something goes wrong. It's how they want buyers and sellers communicate now. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. I'd still provide the same level of customer service as I always do.

Are they back to opening cases now when a buyer contacts a seller about an item? That was happening a few years ago as I recall. That's just swell. unamused

As to the OP's problem - been there, done that once a few years ago. Immediately sent the correct item and told the buyer to keep the other one. I did not refund, however. Buyer was fine with that and left good feedback.  (Same book, different edition)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

"How would you respond?"

Dear Buyer,

Pound salt.

Love, Seller.

Smiley Surprised

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Hi, this was your mistake, the buyer should not be out any monies to rectify the error.

They're not.  Put it back in the same package they received it in, tape it closed, tape a label on it an stuff it in the mailbox/slot for the carrier to pick up.

Last time a seller sent the wrong theing, I netified them by message (not dispute).  They sent the right thing, but never asked for the wrong one to be returned.  I packed it, went to the PO and shipped it on my dime.

Getting the wrong thing by accident doesn't mean ya' gotta be a doink.

Exactly they could have messaged the OP first before filing a SNAD they may have got that item for free and got the item they ordered but now they decided to jump the gun before the seller could make it right so I see no reason to do anything more at this point, the label was issued as far as eBay is concerned they need to return it.

Frustrating to be sure~Ebay suggests that the buyer contact the seller about issues~but many may not know this, or are impatient, or have contacted a seller in the past, only to be treated to non stop hostility and abuse when the buyer has done nothing wrong.  This may make them reluctant to go through that process again.

When you send the return label, the buyer can schedule a pick up online.  Very easy.  No need for a trip to the PO.

Sorry this happened.  I admire your attitude~a twenty year veteran open to opinions and new ideas~someone with your experience might not be that open.  

You do have the option to just refund and not require a return, and to just send the correct item, if you want to appease this upset customer.  But really, the return is fine as well.  

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

Well since they've already filed the SNAD and you've issued the label end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Not really.  Buyers need to have valid tracking showing for the return within 5 business days and 7 days total.  If no tracking scan is showing the seller can close the case out in sellers favor.

I am like the others though in that I would just end all the wonder and frustration and just issue a full refund and be done with it.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

To whomever it was that mentioned posters here siding with the buyer - I don't see anyone saying that at all.  I see them giving examples of ways to provide good, reasonable customer service in the face of an error that the seller made.  I don't see anyone telling the OP to give in to threats.  Telling the buyer to "pound sand"  is not a professional approach, politeness should always prevail. 

And to the OP, there are times when it really isn't reasonable financially to require the buyer to send the item back, such as a large, heavy but broken item.  But if the item is just the wrong size or color, but is a perfectly saleable item, it can be best to insist on a return.  That would be your choice as to which way to go with it.  But I do trust my buyers to return the item even after they get the correct replacement item.  However, I sell in very low fraud categories.  I've always gotten the items back, although some buyers are a bit slow about sending them. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

They could have messaged the OP first before filing a SNAD they may have got that item for free and got the item they ordered but now they decided to jump the gun before the seller could make it right so I see no reason to do anything more at this point, the label was issued as far as eBay is concerned they need to return it.

Have you ever tried to message a seller?

It's like calling your bank and trying to get a live agent.

Thank you for contacting us. How can we help you?

__ I received the wrong item

__ My item is damaged

__ the item has not arrived

__ my dog tore the package apart

__ I ate the box

__other

Then only after clicking other and then another other do you get the option of sending a non topiced message to the seller.

ebay all but in flashing lights has the "my item was damaged" and "seller sent the wrong item" only after passing on those clicks does the buyer get the option of a generic contact. So Please do not blame the buyer for jumping the gun and skipping a step, when eBay tells them this was the right thing to do.

Also, when you make arrangements with a seller you can lose eBay protections. For that reason alone I will ALWAYS do things through eBay. I will click item not as described when that is the truth.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

a seller can also schedule the item to be picked up. Since it was your mistake, why not take responsibility?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

Sorry just no.  If you buy something at a store and find something wrong with it you have to pay the gas to go back to the store   I don't see stores refunding buyers for gas.  If it fits in a poly mailer it should fit in a mailbox.  

Buyers have to assume some responsibility when they buy on line.

Yes the seller made a mistake, but she is doing everything to rectify it by sending postage and telling the buyer how to reuse the same package, stick it in the mailbox, put the lever up, and away it goes.

Or if he has to spend a bit of gas to return it to the PO.  Makes you wonder how some people are able to function in life

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

If I was a big business like you (3400+ listings) and it was my error, I would apologize, refund the buyer in full, send them the shirt they ordered at my cost, and let them keep the wrong one. End of case, move on, your business mistake. Tax write-off.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 26 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Are they back to opening cases now when a buyer contacts a seller about an item? That was happening a few years ago as I recall. That's just swell. unamused

As to the OP's problem - been there, done that once a few years ago. Immediately sent the correct item and told the buyer to keep the other one. I did not refund, however. Buyer was fine with that and left good feedback.  (Same book, different edition)

This may work for cheaper items, but with expensive ones, no way would I send another one out until I got the original one back.  I would apologize, send shipping label, even upgrade shipping on my dime to get the correct one to him overnight.

I once ordered a table and chairs set for my deck from Target.  The sent the wrong item.  But I had to disassemble it and re package  for them to pick up before they would send me the correct set.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

castle's response was a joke and nothing more - she knows how to handle herself in every situation always being nice and professional. She, unfortuanately, has had more than her fair share of SNAD cases where a seller won't take responsibility and has more patience with them than I would.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This may work for cheaper items, but with expensive ones, no way would I send another one out until I got the original one back.  I would apologize, send shipping label, even upgrade shipping on my dime to get the correct one to him overnight.

I once ordered a table and chairs set for my deck from Target.  The sent the wrong item.  But I had to disassemble it and re package  for them to pick up before they would send me the correct set.

Exactly. When you buy online you may be inconvenienced at times. My wife ordered a $50 item from a major BM retailer online. They sent a $300 lego set by mistake that was meant for someone else. She called and they asked us to return it to our local store which is a 5 mile drive. We didn't get a gas allowance and did return it. It's called being an adult with morals.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I'd be hecken annoyed. We all know what annoyed buyers do on Ebay.

Sellers should fix the problem in the least annoying way for the buyer. That's what SELLERS with morals do.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply