cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer extreme demands for SNAD

I accidentally sent a buyer the wrong shirt and filed a SNAD, which is fine. I accepted them and the buyer generated the postage. But now the buyer is very upset. They are complaining that they have to spend gas money to go to the PO, pay for the parking meter, and buy a poly bag to ship the shirt in. And they are saying they don't have time to wait at home for the mail carrier to pick up the package. They are saying they have to do all the work and I'm not doing anything. They demand that I mail them a poly envelope and pay them for the gas money and parking meter.

How would you respond?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Buyer extreme demands for SNAD

I would have already sent the correct shirt and never asked for a return of the one that was sent in error.

Suprised that with 50,000+ feedback you need to ask.......

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Hi, this was your mistake, the buyer should not be out any monies to rectify the error. But i’m wondering—If he truly filed a SNAD, then policy dictates you must pay return shipping. So did he open a case against you? Either way, if it were me, i’d send him a prepaid label. In the mean time, send the buyer the correct item. Some might advise to wait on the package. But i would want to generate as much good will as possible, and would send the correct item post haste. Below is the link on how to handle a Not As Described dispute from ebay’s Help pages. Good luck to you.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-not-as-described.html

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

When I make a similar mistake I send the right item immediately, and include a return label for the wrong item in the package.  If the buyer is going to need a new envelope I would include it in the package. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

"How would you respond?"

Dear Buyer,

Pound salt.

Love, Seller.

“Item Specifics are important - they help the ebay search engine find your products and help Google, Yahoo and other search engines classify your products for inclusion in their search engines
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

The buyer did file a SNAD. They never complained about the return shipping since it was charged to my account.

For the ones who would send a replacement without ever asking for them to return the original... yes it was my mistake. Hence SNAD. Are you saying that with all SNADs (seller mistake) you never require the buyer to return the item and just replace or refund the item? Thus not having to pay for the buyer's gas money, packaging, and/or other costs for them to return the item?

@slippinjimmy I like to check with the masses every now and then to make sure I change when needed. Despite my experience I don't want to just get set in my ways if outdated.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

The buyer did file a SNAD. They never complained about the return shipping since it was charged to my account.

For the ones who would send a replacement without ever asking for them to return the original... yes it was my mistake. Hence SNAD. Are you saying that with all SNADs (seller mistake) you never require the buyer to return the item and just replace or refund the item? Thus not having to pay for the buyer's gas money, packaging, and/or other costs for them to return the item?

You have the option of not requiring the return and to simply refund or replace the item as the situation warrants. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I made a similar mistake - item was a different color than what was listed. Of course me buyer was upset and I apologized and explained how to open an SNAD return. 

I also offered them a 20% off discount on any item in my store for their inconvenience. I'm only small time and as much as I try not to - will occasionally make a mistake - but your buyer really is a PITA. Whether buying on Ebay, online or at a B&M - if an item needs to be returned a buyer will incur a cost - even for gas to do an exchange at the mall. Any exchanges or returns I've had - the buyer simply retapes the poly envelope the item was sent in. If it's a poly envelope - drop it in a mailbox or at the drop box at the PO. 

Sorry but some buyers are over the top and high maintenance - don't forget to put them on your BBL.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Well since they've already filed the SNAD and you've issued the label end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

Hi, this was your mistake, the buyer should not be out any monies to rectify the error.

They're not.  Put it back in the same package they received it in, tape it closed, tape a label on it an stuff it in the mailbox/slot for the carrier to pick up.

Last time a seller sent the wrong theing, I netified them by message (not dispute).  They sent the right thing, but never asked for the wrong one to be returned.  I packed it, went to the PO and shipped it on my dime.

Getting the wrong thing by accident doesn't mean ya' gotta be a doink.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

I accidentally sent a buyer the wrong shirt and filed a SNAD, which is fine. I accepted them and the buyer generated the postage. But now the buyer is very upset. They are complaining that they have to spend gas money to go to the PO, pay for the parking meter, and buy a poly bag to ship the shirt in. And they are saying they don't have time to wait at home for the mail carrier to pick up the package. They are saying they have to do all the work and I'm not doing anything. They demand that I mail them a poly envelope and pay them for the gas money and parking meter.

How would you respond?

Dear Buyer:

Please reuse the packaging that the Item came in.

After you print and attach the label to the package, you can schedule a free pick up of your item on the USPS website.

Thank You.

Seller

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Hi, this was your mistake, the buyer should not be out any monies to rectify the error.

They're not.  Put it back in the same package they received it in, tape it closed, tape a label on it an stuff it in the mailbox/slot for the carrier to pick up.

Last time a seller sent the wrong theing, I netified them by message (not dispute).  They sent the right thing, but never asked for the wrong one to be returned.  I packed it, went to the PO and shipped it on my dime.

Getting the wrong thing by accident doesn't mean ya' gotta be a doink.

Exactly they could have messaged the OP first before filing a SNAD they may have got that item for free and got the item they ordered but now they decided to jump the gun before the seller could make it right so I see no reason to do anything more at this point, the label was issued as far as eBay is concerned they need to return it.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

I just wanted to add.

If the item is small enough to fit in a polymailer ... it is probably small enough to fit in a mailbox.

They don't have to sit at home and wait. If there is a secure place to leave the package (where do their incoming packages get left?) The can just leave it there.

On the USPS pick up screen, you can put exactly where the package is being left.

Now ... if they continue to refuse ... the return label must be used within 5 days ... after that, you can call eBay and have them close the return in your favor.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

I don't recall anyone on this thread suggesting that.

I recall them saying that when they know that they sent the wrong item, their goal is to make it right with the buyer rather than jerking them around with a return. 

You seen to be suggesting that all SNADs are the same ... that sending the wrong item is no different than a buyer trying to force a refund over a difference of opinion or by nitpicking over condition or by complaining about color or measurements. 

The two are different things entirely. This is not a difference of opinion; you simply screwed up. Just because eBay happens to label them both SNADs does not make them equivalent.

Perhaps instead of resisting the idea that you inconvenienced your buyer, you should spend that mental energy on devising better inventory control measures. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

No, the buyer is not upset. They want to keep the item, and get refunded, or hope you in addition send the correct item. For those of you siding with the buyer, remember, every buyer can start to make that claim on every return and who knows what ideas that may give eBay. 

Return for a refund. Because he is being a jerk. Had he not been such a jerk, I would have recommended you tell him to keep the shirt and send him the correct one. 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply