cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer case item not received - undeliverable?

Hello. I had a buyer file a case for item not received. 

I checked tracking and it says 'undeliverable to address'. Next update was 'sending back to sender'. So the package is on its way back because the buyer put a wrong address (0 feedback buyer). 

So how should i go about reaponding to the case? Will I be able to refund minus the shipping since I paid for shipping?

Thanks

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Buyer case item not received - undeliverable?

Then your tracking number was not uploaded. You cannot cancel a transaction this way after it has been shipped.

There was nothing unusual about my experience.  Shipped using ebay labels.  Cancel worked for me.

Feel free to post screenshots of alternative experiences.

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
I have never ever had an eBay address different than the Paypal address.
But you are not wrong.

fwiw, we do cross check every sale (we are low volume, so its not a big time-eater for us), and at least 2-3 out of 100 sales there is some variance, sometimes minor, sometimes as major as different state. I usually send a note to the buyer asking for clarification. ymmv

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

Got lucky with this one, was just puzzled at first because the buyer acted if I knew I should of shipped to his/her PO box. 

Luckily the buyer was very understanding and cancelled the request for not received and will be sending me funds again for re-shipping. 

The few crazy buyers ive had always give me nightmares! But most of the time, such as this..I left with a smile 🙂

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

I had one of these cases a several months ago. The buyer had forgotten to change her address to the new address she was currently residing.  I saw that the package had not been delivered and contacted the buyer. She was very apologetic and just wanted her merchandise. So, what I did was call the P.O. where the package was sitting. They found it for me and I contacted the buyer again and gave the P.O. the OK to give the package to the buyer and asked them to hold it for her at the front of the office. Had a happy buyer and a fabulous feedback from her over my consideration for her and getting her package to her. This is what Triton is referring to as number of reasons, and do try to help the customer when these things happen.

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

I meant Tyler not Triton.

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Howdy @honestabe411 - just wanted to step in and clarify a few things:

Without knowing too many of the specifics of the case, I can say that in most situations this type of case (if escalated) would be found for the buyer. The reasoning behind this is that an 'undeliverable as addressed' scan does not necessarily mean the address is invalid. It is a catchall term used by shippers to indicate a host of various issues with the label itself. When you receive the package back the precise reason for this scan is usually stamped on the package itself.  

If the buyer provided an invalid address we will find in the seller's favor. I agree with others here and suggest you contact CS and have them review the messages thoroughly. 

Regardless, once you receive the item back, we'd encourage you to issue a full refund through the body of the case. Your buyer could then look at purchasing the item once more (paying for shipping again). Thanks!

Even when it's an eBay label?

"Sorry we got it wrong... here's your defect" ???

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 36 of 44
latest reply

Hello, I just had this happen to me. Canadian address. Once the buyer saw it was on its way back to me, they opened a case. It was open & shut in my (sellers favor). Now, I will, on my own, refund just the item price back to buyer, then ask for a fee credit from eBay. They did not have the proper address on their account. If the case is not found in your favor, ask to speak to a supervisor (preferably who speaks fluent English) & have it overturned.
Message 37 of 44
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Seems to be some confusion about INR cases, and resolutions.

You have to refund the seller to avoid a defect. If you let it time out and eBay refunds them for you, you will get a defect. You will NOT get a defect if you issue the refund by the given date on the case.

The item is on it's way back to you. You can probably re-list it.

Do not re-sell to this buyer. Block her.

So scammers can go around putting stuff in the way of their mailbox file item not received when it isn't deliverable and then force a refund then go to the post office and pick up the package afterwards? or would the item already be on it's way back to the seller by this point?

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

@rolenboy01
No, you don't give a refund until you receive the item back. But you have track it and be mindful of the time frame you have to resolve the case.
It's not black and white, any INR case has to be monitored, the idea is to avoid a Defect.

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

Perhaps the cancellation feature has been updated? Have not had the issue in a while and if eBay actually updated a feature we can use, then I am okay with that!: 🙂
Message 40 of 44
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Without knowing too many of the specifics of the case, I can say that in most situations this type of case (if escalated) would be found for the buyer. The reasoning behind this is that an 'undeliverable as addressed' scan does not necessarily mean the address is invalid. It is a catchall term used by shippers to indicate a host of various issues with the label itself. When you receive the package back the precise reason for this scan is usually stamped on the package itself.  

If the buyer provided an invalid address we will find in the seller's favor. I agree with others here and suggest you contact CS and have them review the messages thoroughly. 

Regardless, once you receive the item back, we'd encourage you to issue a full refund through the body of the case. Your buyer could then look at purchasing the item once more (paying for shipping again). Thanks!

Here is the ebay policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-problems.html
"It's the seller's responsibility to ship the item to the address on the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction Details page. It's the buyer's responsibility to have the correct address on his or her transaction.

If you shipped the item to the address on the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction details page, and it was returned, please contact the buyer to work out a solution. If the buyer still wants the item, the buyer will need to reimburse you for the additional shipping costs. If you'd like, you can send the buyer a PayPal invoice for this cost.
When you ship an item, be sure to use tracking and email the tracking number to your buyer."

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

I had that issue once.  The address the buyer used was behind a closed and locked 6 foot wooden gate with a speaker and buzzer attached to it.  (I went to Google maps and looked the address up.)
I got the item back and immediately messaged the customer that the item has been returned.  She filed a dispute for "item not received" right after I had notified her, instead of working with me to resend it.  She used the excuse that it wasn't delivered in time for when she needed the product.  It was actually "delivered" two weeks before she stated she needed it and eBay's shipping deadline, but because it came back, she tried to use that to get her money back (a $60 sale.  My guess is she just decided after she bought it that she didn't want to pay for it).  

Because of the way she tried to scam me, I did not offer her a refund.  Also, I sell products for food, it is against the FDA to accept a food product back once it goes out of your hands.  I would have had to throw it away anyway.
I had already offered to reship it free of charge to another address if she changed it in her PayPal account.  She refused and said she always got deliveries there.  Maybe UPS and FEDEX, but not the postal service, because I called USPS in her town and they told me they didn't deliver to that address.

She continued with the dispute and when eBay sided with me and wouldn't oblige her, she  filed one in PayPal.  PayPal sided with her because she didn't get the package, even though I had the proof that the delivery was indeed processed and attempted but the Postal service didn't deliver there, which was not my fault, so it was on her because she listed an undeliverable address in PayPal.  I also fought them because I lost so much money on product plus giving her money back.  She might have gotten away with her ruse and got her refund, but she didn't screw me out of my product or money.  PayPal returned my payment back to my account and paid her out of theirs.

Most posters think it's better to just refund and let it go, but if you keep refunding these people, you are sending a message to buyers that it's okay to shoplift, which is exactly what it is even if we are online.  It's bad enough that eBay and PayPal side with buyers against sellers.
That's one of the reasons I was disgusted with eBay for taking away our ability to neg a buyer.  It was the only way we had to warn other sellers.

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

@rock4best wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:

I messaged the buyer to say I need to charge her for shipping if she wants me to send it back. 

The repaonse was You need to send it to my PO BOX if you're shipping it with the posts office!

literally all the response I got. The new PO box address wasn't given to me, so it's amazing this Customer thought I should send it to their PO Box and somehow know their changed address?

very odd

This will be exact information you need to present to CSR from eBay. Buyer didn't realize that she provided address which USPS couldn't use for delivery. If it will be USA representative you can get case closed in your favor and wait until item will be back in your hands to resolve it with the buyer. Just make sure that CSR do understand the situation and will close in your favor while you are on the phone. If you are not getting understanding do not attempt to escalate. Just try again with better representative. I think it will be a bad idea to put case on hold as they can promise 10 days and give only 5. And even 10 days willn't be enough for you to get item back. But you should know all of your options.

Again, it is a slim chance but you can try. If eBay wouldn't help then you will need to refund via case to avoid any damage to your account. After that you should block that buyer and do not communicate with her anymore.

Please, please read my post I just left.  I even got a shiver down my spine when I read this because it could very well be the same customer I had and talked about in my reply to the OP's situation.  Ebay sided with me and closed in my favor.  The customer then ran over to PayPal and got her refund, though not through my funds.

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@retrose1 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

tyler@ebay 

So ebay is advocating that the seller be out the cost to ship the package - when they did nothing wrong and the problem is the buyers fault??  ebay would not allow them to partial refund OR refund the ship cost back to them?

So the seller loses money because ebay wants to keep buyers happy?  I know the answer, but would just like to see it in an ebay employees post.

Sorry - It will be a cold day in the hottest regions of Hades before I would reship to a buyer that costs me money. 

Hey everyone, just wanted to clarify how we view this shipping scan. When reaching out to USPS for clarification, they have let us know that "Undeliverable as Addressed" can be used for a variety of reasons. While this can include the provided address being incorrect or incomplete, it can also indicate the address on the label was somehow damaged, the address was not printed correctly onto the label (part of it was cut off), or even simply that there was an environmental factor that prevented delivery and a notice could not be left (an example would be an unchained dog in the yard with a mailbox on the porch.)

While it is possible the seller has done nothing wrong in a situation like this, we are clear in our expectation that delivery confirmation be provided. Even when an item is lost in transit and the seller has not done anything wrong, we still expect a refund. A refund expectation is not an indication that we think the seller has done anything wrong, merely that they have a responsibility under the specific circumstances.

We also need to protect against situations where part of the label was intentionally altered to prevent delivery. Since the undeliverable item is almost always returned to the seller, there is a certain risk of fraud as the item and the money could both end up with the same party. This coupled with our expectation for delivery confirmation to be provided (or proof that delivery was attempted) leaves us in a position where we ask for a full refund to be issued in most cases.

There are some situations where it is clear the buyer was at fault and we can side with the seller at that point, however most financial institutions would reverse the transaction without delivery confirmation. That is what I believe has now happened in this situation based on the additional details provided regarding PayPal reversing the transaction after eBay sided with the seller. This is a strong indicator of a chargeback, which we are unable to take action on.

I hope this helps clear up our stance on this topic. @honestabe411, I recommend you reach out to PayPal for more details on this situation.

Message 44 of 44
latest reply