cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asking about refunded money. Need guidance.

Hi, so I'm a small time seller and occasionally sell my shoes. I sold a pair for $310 and ended up having to cancel the buyers order and refund them as I had just sold that specific pair they bought on another platform. Ebay says refund is pending but I just got a message from the buyer saying "Hello why keep my $100. Please return me immediately." I replied to them stating that I'd already sent the refund. My question is how long do refunds usually take? They paid via paypal. Also I'm confused on the $100? Is it possible the refund was immediate but for some reason they didn't get $100 back? Is there anything I should do to help them?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer asking about refunded money. Need guidance.

It depends on how the buyer funded the payment.  Refunds show immediately only if the buyer used their PayPal balance,  Otherwise, the refund goes back to the original payment method. It can take 3-5 days if they used a credit card.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It depends on how the buyer funded the payment.  Refunds show immediately only if the buyer used their PayPal balance,  Otherwise, the refund goes back to the original payment method. It can take 3-5 days if they used a credit card.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If your Pay Pal account shows you refunded, dont worry about it.I have had weird things like this. Sometimes it takes the buyer to go into their Pay Pal account and except the money.

It could also because you didn't have the money in your Pay Pal account and Pay Pal is withdrawing it from either your Credit Card or Bank account.. Which ever you have as a secondary paying format. Can take up to 10 days.

I would tell the buyer that you sent the refund, check his Pay Pal account.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Double whammy for a buyer to have an order cancelled and then think they're coming up short the refund.

I agree with @lightlily_arts and will add an idea. Could it be that he paid partially with his PayPal balance and put $100 on a credit/debit card? Maybe he only thinks he's short some cash.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The $100 thing. I dont understand . May mean his $100s

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Me either paypal says the whole amount was refunded and ebay says its pending. Guess I'll wait and see.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What if the money was on hold when I refunded? Do you know if that would make it take longer?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Possibly, This is my first time ever having to refund a payment and they haven't sent anymore messages so I'll have to see how this works out and just take what ever feedback they decide to leave. Thanks for your reply.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your reply! Hopefully they wont have to wait too long for my mistake.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Buyer messaging me again about $100. Do i ignore? I already sent screenshots of the refund from paypal and the refund pending screen from ebay...

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Buyer messaging me again about $100. Do I ignore? I already sent screenshots of the refund from paypal and the refund pending screen from ebay the first time they asked about it & told them they may need to wait 3-5 days for the money to show up... 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply