cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Received Broken Item; How is the BEST Way to Refund the Buyer?

I shipped a candle and packed it VERY well; however, it was received broken.  The buyer provided photos of the broken item and the packaging.   

It was sent via USPS Priority Mail (I doubt I will get my claim paid).  I asked the buyer to retain all packaging, etc.  

What is the best way to refund this buyer?  Does the buyer have to open a claim of INAD?   If so will that be a ding on my account?   I tried searching these threads but did not find a concrete answer.  

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I would just go ahead and issue them a full refund since you're not having them send the item back to you.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The best cleanest way is to refund the buyer and pursue a damage insurance claim with USPS to cover yourself if you believe they caused the damage.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Just issue a full refund.  And move on.  That's what I will do, if I was in your shoes.  As far, as trying to get the money from the post office, give it a try.  

Good luck on your selling journey!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

As others have said, just refund and move on.  Don't ask them to file a claim.  Apologize for the inconvenience and thank them for their understanding.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

redlmc_0-1694536593249.png

Which one should I choose?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Breakable things that are shipped are almost NEVER paid by USPS. If they do, the BUYER would have to 'hold' the item for an inspector, should they want to see it. 

Was the Packaging CLEARLY damaged??

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

A glass jar candle?  If it wasn't double boxed, they won't pay. If it was double boxed, file the USPS claim and see what happens.  They may or may not approve it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@redlmc wrote:

redlmc_0-1694536593249.png

Which one should I choose?

Not as described. It was described in excellent condition but the buyer received it broken.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I cannot tell if the package is damaged.   I had the candle triple wrapped in padded envelopes and I had that encased in cardboard inside the box.   Somewhat double-boxed.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I had it encased in cardboard, so like a box inside a box.  The candle was triple-wrapped in padded envelopes too.  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@redlmc wrote:

I cannot tell if the package is damaged.   I had the candle triple wrapped in padded envelopes and I had that encased in cardboard inside the box.   Somewhat double-boxed.  

The claim will be denied for insufficient packaging.  Glass and fragile items have to be double  boxed, not "somewhat" double boxed.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I use Priority mail for everything and I have never had them NOT refund me for even the most minor damage.   Kind of a pain to fill out their form and they do need a good picture but you should get your money back in about two to three weeks.   

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I have received packages with items missing from damaged packages.   I filed claims and they would not pay anything.   They wanted the contents of the packages with the items I did receive, which what I did get was worth more than the few things missing from the packages.  I have not had good luck with USPS insurance, but I am glad you have.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply