cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Ignorance - Need Opnion

Hi,

The SuperBowl is coming up and approx. 6-8 months ago I made a hotel reservation near the stadium with Marriott. This was before Marriott marked up the prices for the hotel. I then listed the reservation on eBay and it was up there until Wednesday. The total amount for a 3-night stay was $1.1k. I had the reservation listed at $250 and accepted a $200 offer. The listing description was extremely blunt and clear about what the buyer was purchasing. A non-prepaid reservation. I also disabled the returns feature for this listing. The buyer didn't read the description and now she (unfortunately it's a girl) is losing her mind via eBay messenger. She called it a rip-off, next a scam, and now she's just using the word fraud and police report.

She filed a case with eBay saying she wasn't getting what she thought. eBay closed the case in my favor roughly an hour after she filed the case. Therefore, I win and her negative feedback was removed.

My question: Should I be considerate and refund her because of buyer ignorance? It's clear she wasn't intending to scam, she just didn't read the listing. Would you refund or just move on?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer Ignorance - Need Opnion

Intangibles are tough - I hope I'm reading your post correctly.  If she owns the reservation now, I would not refund.  She can feel free to sell it on herself (probably locally given the date window).  It's not at all uncommon to sell those kinds of things locally (that's how I've purchased entries for sold-out events).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I own the reservation, and had Marriott add her to it. I can call and remove her from it, but at this point I've already won the eBay case. The refund would only come down to me being considerate.

I told her I'd refund her if she would admit to not reading the listing description. Guess what? She won't admit and never acknowledges that I even asked the question. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@ryful10 

To be clear - she bought/you sold the “right” to the room..... she thought she was actually buying 3 paid in full nights?

I’d refund. And pay extra for the “She’s a girl” comment. 🙄

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@ryful10 

If you need to prove the other person wrong to feel “right,” then you’ve already lost the battle.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

She's awful, rude, and didn't read the listing description.

I'd need her to admit it and then I'll refund. She doesn't seem to want to admit and thinks this is personal?
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Like I said, eBay won in my favor..
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

The listing is perfectly clear on what was being sold.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@ryful10 

You can easily resell

She might win a chargeback via a different route

It isn’t worth the headache

It sounds petty to say you’ll refund if she admits she goofed

The girl comment is misogynistic. It’s 2020 for crying out loud!

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@this*old*attic

Well I'd lose around $20 in shipping for a packet w/ printed documents and a few hours of time via shipping as well as constant insulting communication..

I'm sure she will file a chargeback. Easier than dealing with eBay / PayPal, but either her account would get put on suspension for a chargeback or I'd lose the money because of the chargeback. Do you know who gets penalized w/ a chargeback on here (buyer, seller, or both) even with a completed claim?
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@ryful10 wrote:
I'd need her to admit it and then I'll refund. She doesn't seem to want to admit and thinks this is personal?

You asked for opinions, so here's mine ...

... if you "need her to admit it" before you'll refund, then IMHO you are the one making this personal. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Why not be the bigger person and refund.  When she wins the chargeback, Paypal will charge you $20 for the pleasure

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

But will she?  OP fulfilled his part of the bargain - she can't claim SNAD for not reading the listing.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@ryful10 wrote:
I'd need her to admit it and then I'll refund.

It sounds like you have it all figured out so I'm not sure what kind of advice you're actually looking for or if you came here looking for sympathy over advice.

Subtract the 20 bucks you paid for shipping, refund her the rest and be done with it. You still have time to re-sell. I see no need to be petty and drag things out and potentially get socked with another 20 bucks in chargeback fees. She sounds upset enough to go that route so why risk it? Because you look down on women? Because she sent rude messages? Holding on to this and letting it drag out can result in a bigger loss for you. If you don't want it to be personal then do your part to not let it be.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 24
latest reply