cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer False Claim item not as described. ( contacted Live Assistant. )

Hello fellow ebayers.
I am here to document what is going on at the moment of a False claim of a "Not As Described". Me being the seller.

So the buyer purchased a 95$+shipping O2 Sensor with the Gauge ( it helps with tuning a performance vehicle )Normally over $165) . The Gauge is also known as a Controller. I don't know why, but it is. The big WideBand o2 sensor companies call it that such as AEM . I can prove that as well and have the proof documented to the buyer in a message along with picture proof from that companies website.

Anyways.. the buyer receives the item and opens up a Not As Described case when in fact the listing is PRECISELY as described. I have it listed as Returns Not Accepted . 
Ebay chat told me by 8.27-2020 ( today is 8-23-2020 ) in 4 days if the buyer does not respond, they will close the case in my,the sellers, favor. Since the buyer isn't responding.
Let's hope for the best. Because this is truly a false claim. The item is what the seller purchased and read in the description.

I will bookmark this page and update as things go.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I wouldn't wait.  If you don't accept the return you risk getting a defect on your account, losing your item, and or your money.  Don't listen to CS.  There are people here more experienced that most eBay CS agents combined.  CS regularly gives bad advice regarding returns.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

You listed the item as "New other" which eBay defines as new, unused, but you used the item in your car engine for 5 miles so technically it is not as described.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I talked to another Live Chat agent and was told once again i should wait until the 4days is up and immediately contact them again so they will step in and close the case in my favor.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@untamed_performance wrote:

I talked to another Live Chat agent and was told once again i should wait until the 4days is up and immediately contact them again so they will step in and close the case in my favor.

It isn't going to work out like they say.

When a buyer files an INAD, they want you to accept the return, pay return shipping and refund buyer once something is returned.

This is the part you probably won't like, when a buyer files an INAD and seller tries fighting it and calls CS, they usually find in favor of the buyer, gives buyer a refund from your account, let them keep the item and give you a defect for not handling the return yourself.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Yeah, close it in favor of the buyer

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

In the end you aren't selling here for a living so if you choose to fight the case that is your right.  If you look through the other posts of people who followed the incorrect advice from CS you might think twice.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@untamed_performance   You are being given BAD advice by the CS agent.  They do not know the difference between a buyer and seller half the time.  They will close the case in the BUYERS FAVOR.  

There is no such thing as a no returns policy on ebay.  Your return policy is for buyers remorse returns only:  changed mind, doesn't fit etc. 

Under the ebay MBG the buyer just has to SAY that the item is not as described and you MUST accept the return and refund the buyer.

IF you do not do so willingly then eBay steps in and forces a refund. You do not get your sellers fees back, you get a DEFECT and the buyer may be allowed to keep the item.

There is no way to prove to eBay that the pictured item in the listing is what you sent to the buyer.

If the buyer abuses the eBay MBG then you can report them but it doesn't get your money back  

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=3&quer...

The only slight protection a seller has is if they offer FREE RETURN shipping on their listings OR if they are a Top Rated seller and offer 30 days or greater returns.  The seller can then reduce the refund amount by up to 50% if the buyer sends a different item or somehow reduces the value of the item.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=12&pos=4&query=Sel...

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@shhboom wrote:

You listed the item as "New other" which eBay defines as new, unused, but you used the item in your car engine for 5 miles so technically it is not as described.

@untamed_performance, as stated by @shhboom above, your item is not new — per your listing, “Only been tested twice for a total if maybe 5miles.. I didnt keep my turbos on for long.” — and categorizing it as “New other” does not help.  

Rather than trying to force the buyer to keep your item, you should accept the return.  If you do not do so, eBay could close the case in the buyer’s favor, providing a full refund to the buyer and allowing the buyer to keep your item.  However, if you choose to fight the return of the item then you should point out in the transcript for the case that you clearly stated that the item had been previously used, “Only been tested twice for a total if maybe 5miles.. I didnt keep my turbos on for long.”  However, again, this becomes a problem for you as it contradicts your statement that the item is “New” even with “other” added — a “new” item has not been used, even for testing, and “testing” for 5 miles can be considered use.

If you accept the return and later relist the item, you should describe the item as used and provide your statement regarding the extent to which you used the item, “Only been tested twice for a total if maybe 5miles.. I didnt keep my turbos on for long.”

For the future, keep in mind that “new” means “unused”.  “New other” is frequently used with items for which the original tags are not present — NWOT (new without tags) — or items for which the box may be missing or has been damaged. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

On day 5, let us know what happened.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I guess i should be clearer about why the person claimed Not As Described..
The person for thought they were getting a Standalone ECU for some reason. Which costs way more than $95 . 

The listing clearly states for the sensor kit and nothing more.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

The posters here @untamed_performance do not work for eBay, so they don't know how eBay works, unlike your reps, who are 0% correct, as they are completely familiar with eBay policy backwards and backwards, which states:

eBay Money Back Guarantee requires sellers to respond within 3 business days when buyers request to return items that don’t match listing descriptions. When you do not respond, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to ship the item back. Starting June 1, 2020, we may decide these cases after the 3 business days elapse without requiring the buyer to contact eBay.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

You're joking, right?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Whatever you do, do NOT WAIT. Refund the buyer now and save yourself. This is NOT going to end with the case closed in your favor. CS is known to tell a person what they want to hear to get them off the call quicker. CS is known to give bad advice that comes back to haunt the member who believed them. And they will not make it right when they give wrong advice. SO PLEASE heed the advice of your fellow sellers. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I guess i should be clearer about why the person claimed Not As Described..
The person for thought they were getting a Standalone ECU for some reason. Which costs way more than $95 . 

The listing clearly states for the sensor kit and nothing more.

Their real reason doesn't matter.  They could open a NAD case with the reason being it didn't taste like a banana split.  All that matters to eBay is the buyer claimed not as described.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply