cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boxing Card Category Problem (Sports Trading Cards - new categories)

Does anyone know if eBay is aware that when browsing, if you select the category "boxing cards" in Sports Trading Cards, it now includes every sports card listing with the word "box" in it, which fills it with random listings. Most boxing card collectors browse the category and now a lot of business is being lost because it is very difficult to do so.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Did you try "boxing"...with the quotation marks around it?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  I think they are referring to just browsing by category and then filtering.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/64482/i.html?_dcat=212&_fsrp=1&_nkw=trading+cards&_sacat=64482&_from=R40&rt...

I don't do much shopping in that category but I'm assuming previously "boxing" was an actual subcategory you could narrow down to but with the recent category changes now it is a filter instead of it's own subcategory.

The problem is the filter seems to be picking up other sports with the word "box" as well.

boxing.jpg

I'm not sure if it is because of the word "box" in the title, or more likely I think is that there is a different item specific with "box".

If filtering by "sport", this item should only come up for baseball, but it is coming up under "boxing" as well - maybe because of those other item specifics?

box.jpg

brittanie@ebay  can you pass this on to the team please?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  No, I was referring to doing a general search by putting the following in the search bar:

"boxing" cards

I skimmed the first page of results, and all I see is cards related to the sport of boxing. I didn't do a detailed examination, but it seemed to work...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The following search seems to be a good starting point for boxing trading cards:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=%22boxing%22+&_sacat=212&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fsrp=1&_osac...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresource  No, I was referring to doing a general search by putting the following in the search bar:

"boxing" cards

I skimmed the first page of results, and all I see is cards related to the sport of boxing. I didn't do a detailed examination, but it seemed to work...

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  sorry for the confusion, I meant the OP was referring to browsing with the filters. 

Your suggestion to search with quotes will definitely help narrow it down for that specific search. 👍

However, if the browse/filter/Item Specifics function is picking up on other IS besides the one selected, that could be a bigger problem not just for boxing cards but potentially other categories too.

If you filter by "sport", I think most people would expect the results should be for the specific sport selected - meaning that is what shows in the corresponding "sport" IS, but not include listings where a derivation of that word appears in any other IS.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I do see the problem, just pointing out that even if you use the boxing filter within the sports card category, if you then search by "boxing" you appear to eliminate or at least drastically reduce the problem. 

I would suggest forwarding the issue to the Item Specifics team. 

sdsupport@ebay.com 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all for the suggestions, but valueaddedresource is exactly correct. Many sports card shoppers will only browse by a category, or in this case, a filter within a category. There are a lot of eBay users who don't know advanced search techniques, such as using quotes, and are therefore walking away.

Thanks again everyone!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  I think they are referring to just browsing by category and then filtering.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/64482/i.html?_dcat=212&_fsrp=1&_nkw=trading+cards&_sacat=64482&_from=R40&rt...

I don't do much shopping in that category but I'm assuming previously "boxing" was an actual subcategory you could narrow down to but with the recent category changes now it is a filter instead of it's own subcategory.

The problem is the filter seems to be picking up other sports with the word "box" as well.

boxing.jpg

I'm not sure if it is because of the word "box" in the title, or more likely I think is that there is a different item specific with "box".

If filtering by "sport", this item should only come up for baseball, but it is coming up under "boxing" as well - maybe because of those other item specifics?

box.jpg

brittanie@ebay  can you pass this on to the team please?

Thanks for the tag @valueaddedresource! That's definitely not the best experience. @my-cottage-books-and-antiques gave the correct email below for the team that works on item specifics, but I'll also make sure the search team is looped in on this as well. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 9 of 9
latest reply