Did you mean: 

Book sellers might want to read this

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/amazon-seasonal-book-restriction/

if you don't want to click on the link.........google valueadded resource

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

That reads like a nightmare. I personally like scary books any time of year. Not just during the Fall.

Message 2 of 75
latest reply

Good grief this sounds worse than eBay's often-botched innovations:

received an email from Amazon today, 1/16/24, stating that they are implementing a new seasonal book restriction, effective tomorrow. Very vague email stating that I'm no longer approved to sell seasonal books, but they are not stating which books they are classifying as seasonal.

Now, when I read that, I figured they were talking about Christmas topics, or maybe gardening? Textbooks? No, it's not as obvious as that:

• Seasonal Book products are books have a certain seasonal feel to them.

For example, a fluffy contemporary is often thought to be a perfect beach read but you would never think to pick it up when it's snowing outside. Spooky thrillers belong to rainy days in November, and hard-hitting literary fiction seems to be an important part of spring.

Excuse me? "hard-hitting literary fiction seems to be an important part of spring."  What does that even mean??

One Amazon seller's response:

"I went over to eBay and scaled up my store to the next level. I am expecting a new wave of Amazon refugee books."

Message 3 of 75
latest reply

Clown world

Message 4 of 75
latest reply

lol........let's hope ebay doesn't expand the idea..........  Swimsuits only in June-Aug, snowsuits......Nov- Feb.......

Christmas ornaments......Oct-Dec...... 

and.......love the "notice".......receive the email 1/16, effective 1/16..........remove books from FBA 1/16.......

Message 5 of 75
latest reply

As a buyer and avid reader, does that mean my buying options will be limited if I don’t shop for certain titles within Amazon’s “appropriate reading season”?

That is such a dumb take on Amazon’s part…

Message 6 of 75
latest reply

Amazon is maximizing the use of its resources.

These seasonal books have a selling period of about three months of the year at most.

They do not want product in FBA during dead time, they do not want active listings for them either,

Books are a tiny part of Amazon's business, and their book sales are primarily new books.

New booksellers who will often return books to the publisher when the season has passed.

The Internet version of used booksellers will often buy remainders of seasonal books, list them any time of the year, and wait until there is some interest.

Booksellers and Amazon have rarely had great love for each other. Those with an interest in history can explore the results of what happened when Amazon bought Bibliofind.

Remember, Amazon's idea of being a bookseller was having Ingram Books drop ship for them.

Message 7 of 75
latest reply

Wow, it's even crazier than I thought it would be!  I also thought seasonal topics would be Christmas themes, plants & gardening in spring, things like that, which is bad enough.  But dictating who reads what genre & when?  That is nuts!   My buyers read spooky thrillers & beach reads all year long...  So do I!  The whole thing sounds pointless.  Someone should let Stephen King know that he needs to publish only during Halloween!

Message 8 of 75
latest reply

I read the entire thing.  If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was reading The Onion or The Babylon Bee.

"The internal team will audit the listing regularly to ensure that we provide better customer experience to the buyers.  We will not be able to say a particular product that will fall under the category.  We request you to list all the product with the proper information and documents. If our internal team finds concern with the listing you will be notified and you can take necessary actions. You may need to list the product first and if there are any certifications required, there will be a notification sent to you regarding the same."

"Seasonal Book products are books have a certain seasonal feel to them.  For example, a fluffy contemporary is often thought to be a perfect beach read but you would never think to pick it up when it's snowing outside. Spooky thrillers belong to rainy days in November, and hard-hitting literary fiction seems to be an important part of spring."

"We understand that your concern regarding what Seasonal Book products are. Thank you for letting us assist you in this regard. Rest assured that we are here to take care of the issue with the highest priority."

Only people who are not themselves readers, people who haven't cracked a book since the last one they were required to read at school, could have come up with that.

And suddenly the people who run eBay look like thoughtful geniuses.

-

Message 9 of 75
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I read the entire thing.  If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was reading The Onion or The Babylon Bee.

"The internal team will audit the listing regularly to ensure that we provide better customer experience to the buyers.  We will not be able to say a particular product that will fall under the category.  We request you to list all the product with the proper information and documents. If our internal team finds concern with the listing you will be notified and you can take necessary actions. You may need to list the product first and if there are any certifications required, there will be a notification sent to you regarding the same."

"Seasonal Book products are books have a certain seasonal feel to them.  For example, a fluffy contemporary is often thought to be a perfect beach read but you would never think to pick it up when it's snowing outside. Spooky thrillers belong to rainy days in November, and hard-hitting literary fiction seems to be an important part of spring."

"We understand that your concern regarding what Seasonal Book products are. Thank you for letting us assist you in this regard. Rest assured that we are here to take care of the issue with the highest priority."

It reads like it was written in French, translated to Chinese, then translated to English.

Message 10 of 75
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

It reads like it was written in French, translated to Chinese, then translated to English.

With gobbledegook somewhere in between.

Message 11 of 75
latest reply

Did you see what Bezos’ girlfriend looks like now?

Maybe she influenced him to make this ridiculous statement?

Message 12 of 75
latest reply

Sounds like the beginning of their mass ejection of sellers, they aren't wasting time.  Word has they've been rather silently reducing fulfillment workers, part of the reason Amazon literally dropping of "Heavies" as my friend postal clerk calls them (pallets full of heavy parcels) at USPS mains.  Over the holidays it caused such a stir with mail carriers they spoke up about it and were told basically "Shut up" and don't even mention the name "Amazon" LITERALLY. I kid you not. 

How much that impacted other mailers who knows?

Amazon being deemed the poster boy of counterfeit goods sent shockwaves through DC and much of the rest of Amazon's covered territories.  So much so they winged out TV statements about how their tirelessly attempting to protect consumers.  That happened when companies subcontracted by brands made statement to the Shop Safe Act Congressional Committee about the open marketplaces late last year.

Now they've got problems both in the above and obviously what no corrective actions mean to not only business but investors.  Hence its being predicted there is going to be mass ejections of sellers at Amazon perhaps likely to follow Walmart's Anchor Vendor practices.

A VERY big question is whether the problems online w/ consumers getting hurt as well as the Gen Z crookery going on that is thieving from big retail ends up on the campaign trail.  BIG question.

Message 13 of 75
latest reply

New rules for book readers and book sellers concocted by people

that have never picked up a book themselves.

Sort of like fine tuning a selling site when you've never actually bought or sold anything

on that site.

Message 14 of 75
latest reply

Retro posted,    "Mass ejection of sellers"

AZ has other problems too.    AZ has constructed a new 800,000 square foot facility in my town 

and touted the 1,000 new jobs it would bring to my area.  

Opening was set for May 2023

The Covid virus brought all that new revenue to AZ and they needed new facilities.    Bought up

the property next to Interstate 80-90 and now they are proud owners of an 800K sq foot 

warehouse drawing dust.

No new jobs,    No new tax revenue,   Nothing.   

I'm not going to post a link.    The article can be read 

at WSBT Television in South Bend and then search "Amazon"  

Message 15 of 75
latest reply