cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Selling: Item Descriptions or Lack Thereof. My Mind Blown!

I've been selling antique and collectible books on ebay off and on for over 20 years. Long ago 80% to 100% of everything I listed would sell in a week (back then my items were usually auction items.) I have always provided detailed, accurate descriptions of my books. I go through every book I list page by page looking for defects. I provide all the pertinent book information including title, author, publisher, publication date, illustration information, number of pages, information on defects, etc., etc., etc. I am no longer motivated to sell on ebay because I do so much work and almost nothing sells.

Last night I found an ebay seller who sold over $1000.00 in books in a single day (31 items.) What I noticed about their auctions is that they had absolutely no description information whatsoever. In their description section they repeated the title of their auction and nothing else. Is it possible, in this upside-down world we live in now, that giving people more information is actually bad? The seller only has about 225 positives, so it's not like they are decades-long established on ebay. This blows my mind! I've always worked so hard to give potential buyers all the information they may need, and I get nothing for it. I was going to write the seller last night and ask for information, but I waited till this morning as I was in a mood of mixed anger and hurt pride last night and felt unable to ask for advice or information from the seller without sounding like a jerk. lol. What am I missing? Why would these books sell so seemingly easy with not a single word of description in the listing. Does the average buyer lack so much patience that sentences deter them? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Book Selling: Item Descriptions or Lack Thereof. My Mind Blown!

"Does the average buyer lack so much patience that sentences deter them?"

@prizedpages 

That would not be my assumption for a reader. For what it's worth, my mom sells books here and is about to give it up. 😑

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Just a couple of random thoughts:

First, my compliments on properly cataloguing a book.  It's become almost a lost art.  And your photos are very good, as well.

It's hard to  know what to say, unless I could see that you are selling the same, or quite comparable, titles.

Maybe he's just selling reading copies, and so his buyers they don't care about detailed descriptions.

Lots of people are using apps on mobile devices and do not even see your descriptions.

Maybe people do not like your "No Returns" policy.  No Returns does not mean No Refunds, of course, but not all buyers know that and the ones who do may think there'll be a hassle if there's a problem.

Books of every kind, from commodity books in rough shape to antiquarian books in fine condition, are an increasingly tough sell. 

I guess none of that is particularly useful, but it's hard to reply to a general situation.

-

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I agree. I would think that people buying books would have an attention span. lol. That's why I can't figure it out. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you. The seller I found runs a book shop as I could see by the photos they used. Many of the books sold were Easton Press books and other books that looked to be in very good condition.

The reason why I've changed to no returns, as you may well know, is that ebay's return options for media are ridiculous. I think that the minimum is now 30 days(?)  In that time a person could easily read your book or damage it then return it. I appreciate your thoughts and I will think more on changing my return policy. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Agreed! Its not just books. Thank goodness for shows is all I can say.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes, it is a perplexing situation when your items sit, and your competition is selling hand over fist. But there are so many factors in play.

He may have better placement in Search results. If he offers free shipping and free returns, that may get him more eyes on his listings and premium placement as eBay has filters for those services.

Maybe his listings have been optimized. SEO can draw organic traffic from other Search engines to eBay. How many listings does he have? If its 1000, he may be attracting more views as compared to your 45 listings. And sellers who actively sell their items get a higher place in results as sales beget sales on eBay.

It is impossible to know all the factors that may be affecting sales. However, eBay does not make a secret  of what a seller can do to improve their placement in Search results. See the link below for more information about their Best Practices. 

As for your listings, i would not substantially change them or delete pertinent information in an effort to copy this other seller’s strategy. There are those buyers who will not do their due diligence and go on price and photos alone. But those kinds of sales can go south, quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if the competition you describe has multiple cases opened against him and multiple returns from dissatisfied buyers that may eventually cost him.

Hang in there, and i bet you will see an upturn for holiday sales. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/listings/listing-best-practices

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@prizedpages wrote:

What am I missing? Why would these books sell so seemingly easy with not a single word of description in the listing. Does the average buyer lack so much patience that sentences deter them? 

Basically, like was said, you have to look at the general demand for any books.  Most people that get them these days just want them as a quick read, so basically they aren't going to care that much about specific condition past whether it's complete and readable.  In other words, most people you will run into aren't collecting books and don't care about condition.  This will also translate into the asking prices.  Probably 90% of your potential buyers won't care to pay very much for "just a quick read" that they'll put aside or give away when read.  They may already trawl places like thrift shops and get books, but only go on ebay because they have a specific desire for something.

Also as mentioned, descriptions are generally not seen most of the time.  But for most book buyers that are just looking for quick reads, they aren't going to care any way and the description lines just become superfluous.  I notice that as a seller with most of the media I post.  For books, if I know it's not collectible in any way with absolutely no demand behind it (got a couple of stories about that), I'll do exactly what you described because I can relay all the information most buyers would want in the title anyway.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@prizedpages wrote:

Thank you. The seller I found runs a book shop as I could see by the photos they used. Many of the books sold were Easton Press and other books that looked to be in very good condition ...

Well, that explains a lot.  People who buy Easton press books are not readers.  Great heavens, man, if you read an Easton it would lose its value!  I mean, it is considered vandalism to even take off the shrink-wrap!   😄

Here are the delightful words of the late Joe Maraglino, bookseller extrordinaire, posted many years ago to the Booksellers Board when it was both a lively and a useful forum:

Collectors of modern books are unlike other bibliophiles; they value their books not for their content, but for their form as a physical object - the book has the most value to them when it is in the same pristine condition as it was when it left the publisher.  If the book has never been opened - or better still is shrinkwrapped so that it cannot be opened or sullied by the touch of a living organism - they are happier still.  Inside its plastic sarcophagus, the book might be missing leaves, be bound upside down, or, for that matter, might even be nothing more than an assemblage of blank leaves, but these possibilities don't matter - what matters is that the book appears through its Holy Shrinkwrap© to be perfect - and it is the appearance of perfection which they collect.

The modernist eschews any additions to a physical book other than an author's signature - and even then, their preference is for a signature only, without any inscription whatsoever.  Inscriptions create provenance, and provenance means that someone else once owned the book, and perhaps actually read it - leaving unsightly eyetracks on the printed text and illustrations.  Ex libris in any form - the printed bookplate, a previous owner's name, inked or embossed stamps, or a gift inscription - reduce the value of the book in the eyes of the modernist because they detract from the book's perceived perfection.

The bibliophile of ages past - and the contemporary collector of early books - values the book for its content, its provenance, its humanist qualities, which mark the passage (both literally and figuratively) of the lives of previous owners.  Marginalia is studied assiduously in the search for ideas related to the book's content.  Underlined passages are read with great care, since they clearly meant enough to some long-dead scholar that they were underlined in the first place.  Provenance is examined and where possible, the content of the collection from which the book came is studied as well, with the idea that you can tell much about a book's social value from its past owners.  Most importantly, however, books are read - but this process requires the expenditure of energy, considerable investment in both time and the power of thought, and does nothing to maintain the perceived perfection of the physical object.

Freud had a theory about the modern collector - this person who endeavours to surround himself or herself with the outward signs of perfection - and that is that because they cannot control their lives as a whole, they must, to compensate for this fact, direct their efforts to those things over which they can exert control - and in these things, they find the perceived perfection which is lacking in the balance of their lives.  Freud thought (and here I paraphrase) that for every perfect Stephen King dustwrapper, there was a chap with a drinking problem; for every flawless Lord Of The Rings Special Edition slipcase, there was a lass who couldn't keep her weight in check; for every pristine example of Watership Down, there was a couple whose marriage was dull and lacklustre.

Whatever the reason, the modernist seeks perfection in the books which comprise her or his collection, and imperfection - whether it is or is not an imprinting of some other cause - is not to be tolerated.  Where the bibliophile will examine a book's content microscopically, the modernist will examine the physical book in the same fashion - analysing the dustwrapper under black light, through a jeweler's loupe, for any signs of surface scratches.  To the bibliophile, the presence of a previous owner's bookplate brings a smile and consideration for who the past owner might have been; to the  modernist, a bookplate simply mars the perfection of the front pastedown, thus taking from them the joy of attaining perfection some place in their lives.

And if you think that the modernist wrings his hands, whimpers like a whipped dog, and foams at the mouth at the very sight of a bumped corner, you should see what happens the first time that they see a rat bite.

-

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

First off to your statement "........20 years ago." I had to chuckle trying to imagine what life was like back then compared to the never-ending chaos of today. I have been on eBay since they start - 23 years ago maybe. CHANGE - I still hate it. That was one of the reasons I had to get out of the computer field as an IT Mgr. I guess any seller here no matter how long they have been here needs to adapt to change - constantly. It took me a couple of years to realize that here. You must evolve with change or you die. Only you can determine how to change anything in your circle of life, including here. Good LUCK!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Here are the delightful words of the late Joe Maraglino, bookseller extrordinaire, posted many years ago to the Booksellers Board when it was both a lively and a useful forum:

Collectors of modern books are unlike other bibliophiles; they value their books not for their content, but for their form as a physical object - the book has the most value to them when it is in the same pristine condition as it was when it left the publisher.  

This is important to underscore.  When you run into a collector, they aren't looking for it as a reading/listening/watching item because they value condition above all else (I said all three options there because people collect DVDs, CDs, and other stuff too).   This is about the only person that will pay a premium for anything, too.  With older stuff, they'll try for the best they can possibly get, but generally most people can't describe or picture enough an item and they'll inevitably ask questions and for more pictures about parts of the media item they haven't seen and question the details in the pictures they do see.  So they're in the New market where possible and if a shrink-wrap is gone or a minor ding is in the slip cover, they'll pass.

That said, another good question is to evaluate is if what you have is really all that "collectible" and in demand.  If it's not, it might be good to rethink about how you present and price the item.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I would say the overwhelming majority of your books I see listed are not worth the treatment you are giving them. 

It also seems that you are NOT RESEARCHING PRICES AT ALL. And are giving full antique treatment over books that are neither in particularly great condition nor particularly in demand.

Example. "Legion Tourney: A Bronc Burnett Story" by Wilfred McCormick | Vintage Series

You have yours at $25. It is not a first edition, while decent it is not in mint condition either. 32 sellers are cheaper than you on this book. One of them has a first edition with dust jacket at half your price, and another includes 2 books in the series. The cheapest one looks barely worse than yours and it is under $5 shipped. This particular book has only sold once in the last 3 months, a very nice copy of a different printing that brought all of $3 plus what looks to be actual shipping.

According to Terapeak that book has only ever sold for more than $3 twice and one of those was a variant "This Volume Free" copy of the book, not the usual one. 

What do you think the odds are that someone looking for this book is going to make it through all 32 cheaper copies than yours before finding one they wanted? 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I sell a lot of books. I probably tend to over describe them too, but old habits die hard. This dates back to pre-Internet days when books were sold through the mail by dealers using written descriptions only (no photos).

I've always offered returns and I can't recall a single return of a book. (On amazon, I did have a drop shipper try to return a different copy than the one ordered.) By and large, I think book buyers tend to be decent folks. I think the biggest issue with returned books is in the textbook category.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@carolynnq wrote:

I sell a lot of books. I probably tend to over describe them too, but old habits die hard. This dates back to pre-Internet days when books were sold through the mail by dealers using written descriptions only (no photos).

I've always offered returns and I can't recall a single return of a book. (On amazon, I did have a drop shipper try to return a different copy than the one ordered.) By and large, I think book buyers tend to be decent folks. I think the biggest issue with returned books is in the textbook category.

I think the only book return I ever had was one damaged in shipping.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am also a long time eBay seller and have 250 listings on my bookstore account - most of which are nonfiction - about half are prior to 1990.   My last book sale was on 9/25, and I've sold less than 20 books for all of 2022 - a 20 year low.   Amazon isn't much better.

In my humble opinion - books just aren't selling any more, and it has little to do with any listing description or even price - although the increases in media mail haven't helped with another increase coming in January.    It is no longer worth my time to create new listings - especially since fees for media sales are higher than anything else.    Promoted listings have made a dying category even worse.   I am closing my eBay bookstore account in December - have already exported my listings elsewhere to what I call a parking garage site where sales will still be scarce, but maintenance is not necessary and fees are less.   I will use my holiday break to convert books to free shipping in light of the new shipping rates. 

As for the selling who sold $1000 worth of books in one day - I suspect they paid nothing for them and probably are paying to promote their listings.   Plus the more a seller sells - the higher they rank with eBay's search algorithm.   Today's eBay is only interested in the sellers that put the most money in eBay's coffers.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply