cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonsai sellers

eBay NEEDS to crack down on **bleep** sellers of bonsai!  I would be willing to bet at least 75% of so called bonsai sales are illegal as they have no AGRICULTURE LICENSE, therefore their plants / cuttings can not be transported or shipped across state lines!  They could be sending out and spreading many plant diseases and or bugs to areas that don't have them!  Each seller should be required to put there ag license number in their listings, and eBay SHOULD verify it!

I personally (a few years back) sold very nice "established" bonsai trees on here until the market got flooded with these type of sellers...out strictly for a buck, and not caring who they screwed.  Yes, I had an ag license, and had two nurseries in two different states.  

Overlooking the lack of licensing, what I have recently observed on here are clowns selling "pre bonsai cuttings" which may or may not grow...depending upon the species I would venture to say about 90% of the cuttings would not ever take root for the purchaser!  Besides that, why pay $15 and up for a piece of a branch when you could go out and cut one yourself?  But my biggest complaint is the ones selling bonsai that (just) went to their local box store or nursery, bought a plant, went home and stuck it in a pot and called it a bonsai after doing a little trimming and selling them for $60 to $200!  An experienced bonsai person can detect that trick quite rapidly, as they can see the fresh cutting on the plant...THIS IS NOT AN ESTABLISHED BONSAI, and is worth no more than the cost of the plant and pot!!!  Just as the cuttings, it's a scam for a buck, as many of them die within a month of receiving them!  

An established bonsai is just that...ESTABLISHED, it has been growing in the pot which it is in for one year plus!

Also, MOST all of the sellers say you can grow it indoors or outdoors.......**bleep** on that one too!  A tropical can be grown indoors, but all other trees are outdoor ONLY, especially junipers, which I see many listed as can be grown indoors!  They can be moved inside for one or two days for show, but will not tolerate much time away from their normal climate...  Either these people are just plane ignorant and watch too much tv with bonsai trees, or they just don't give a **bleep** and are out for the buck!

All trees should come with care instructions also, directed to indoor or outdoor, or even more specific to that particular species, which I doubt very few send along with the purchase.

I personally no longer have my nurseries, but still care for and grow bonsai, some as old as 80 years that I have been caring for just shy of 30 years myself.  I just had to voice my opinion as I hate seeing people getting ripped off, then having a bad outlook on the hobby due to their loss which hurts legitimate bonsai sellers in the long run, as well as the craft / hobby...

PLEASE LEAVE ANY COMMENT YOU HAVE, AND PLEASE PUSH THIS ISSUE WITH EBAY!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Bonsai sellers

gjs_16
Guide

Hmmm...

Have you tried looking into what the Department of Agriculture could do in this regard?
I mean, voicing your concerns here isn't going to do much, I feel you but there are many questionable sales on eaby and they don't seem to care... Now if you can get the proper government organization to look into the matter, I bet there would be concern awakening then!
As to what the Ag.Dept could do, that I couldn't tell you but that's where I would start looking, perhaps they have a page for reporting these practices?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know much about bonsai but I do know a random rant when I see one.

Shady Bonsai sellers. Now I've heard it all.

Also I sense anger and passion for the hobby from you...

download.jpg

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

I'm sure there are ripoffs as in any selling category......

I'm also sure there are hobbyist growers that try to make a few bucks to "feed" their habit.  I'd hate to see those thrown by the wayside...... 

No easy answers......

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

I'm sure there are ripoffs as in any selling category......

Pretty much this ^

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

I guess you're one of those IGNORANT people that doesn't UNDERSTAND the ramifications of transporting plant diseases and or bugs to new areas!  All I can say to you without being nasty is may all the Japaneses beetles and killer hornets as well as many other non-native things infest your land...providing you have any.  Have a wonderful day!

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

Anonymous
Not applicable

File a complaint or write a letter to the USDA. Good day to you.

U.S. Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20250 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aa-rocketry wrote:

I guess you're one of those IGNORANT people that doesn't UNDERSTAND the ramifications of transporting plant diseases and or bugs to new areas!  All I can say to you without being nasty is may all the Japaneses beetles and killer hornets as well as many other non-native things infest your land...providing you have any.  Have a wonderful day!

Or, I have a sense of humor. Sheesh.

Do...

Enjoy life a bit.

Laugh a bit.

Don't...

Don't take everything so seriously.

Don't take everything so personally.

Don't assume that everyone shares the same passion for you on certain subjects.

Don't be a Palpatine.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

OP

When you state

PLEASE LEAVE ANY COMMENT YOU HAVE, AND PLEASE PUSH THIS ISSUE WITH EBAY!

then get a reply you dont like & reply with

I guess you're one of those IGNORANT people that doesn't UNDERSTAND the ramifications of transporting plant diseases and or bugs to new areas! 

Do you Really want any comments OR just comments that agree with you?

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

PS Bug transporting is a concern (Dont even get me started with how much more chemical pesticides end up being used because of it!). But you wont win favors by attacking people when you asked for any comments.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

As a small time farmer I understand fully the implications of invasive species, pests and other fun things that can ride along with plants and seeds.

If there were one thing I wish Ebay would do would be to limit plant and seed sales to domestic only. That would help a lot. For example, a seller from outside the US can't list plants or seeds on ebay.com...a seller outside Canada can't list plants or seeds on ebay.ca, etc.

Yeah, it would be the end of milk melons, blue roses and rainbow tomatoes, but that would be a good thing indeed.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@southern*sweet*tea Perhaps they should put an end to all plant life sales, including seeds and buds, on ebay altogether. There are surely more responsible ways to purchase these either locally or through more responsible sites.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

You are asking ebay to forsake profits for responsibility LMAO!!!!!

( Not laughing at you. Laughing at the thought of ebay doing something like that )

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I realized the insanity of the post after I hit "reply" 😁

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Bonsai sellers

@Anonymous wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea Perhaps they should put an end to all plant life sales, including seeds and buds, on ebay altogether. There are surely more responsible ways to purchase these either locally or through more responsible sites.

I've never purchased live plants online, but I do purchase seeds online, sometimes on Ebay. All of my purchases I make by zip code, so everything is *sort of* local for me.  I don't have good seed sources locally. Plants, yes. Seeds, no - unless I want to grow cotton, corn or soybeans.

There are plenty of well established, legitimate seed sellers out there through catalogs, online, etc. The good thing about being able to buy as local as possible is that the plants the seeds come from are adapted to my climate.  For example, Seed Savers Exchange out of Iowa.  Excellent dealer of good seed, they harvest their own. Nothing at all wrong with their seeds...BUT I have far better success with seed harvested from a random farmer/gardener who may only be 50-100 miles from me, because the plant the seed was harvested from was grown in my own Mississippi climate.  I do save a lot of my own seeds, but sometimes I get lazy and just don't want to deal with it, so I buy as locally as I can.  🙂

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 26
latest reply