cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Buyers List - What Causes You to Add a Buyer to your List?

Wondering if others will shares their thoughts on this?

I noticed today that my list was a little long - but after back and forth with a buyer wanting more pix and 3 more emails about the "edges and corners" and could I zoom in better (seriously, I am not a professional photog - I barely manage to get what I do done).......I ran, not walked to my BBL.

Sales are a little slow right now, but I really would prefer to wait for my price and for a buyer who isn't wanting 3 more angles of a corner of an item.  I am looking at this wrong?  I never used to get these types of emails and now, I feel like a large part of my day is spent on these emails.  I typically use 2-3 pix, I photograph the actual item, my widgits are typically new, factory/sealed and I note any flaws in the listing.  If it is open box, that is how it is listed and I usually do not list something that has package damage, etc for this very reason - if I do, it is listed as "used" to avoid any issues and I note in the description that the widgit is new, but the packaging is not and show a pix of the damage.  The email today was on a $34 widgit with free shipping, not something previously hung in the Louvre.

Lastly, our inventory is not at our fingertips.  We rent space above my office used for my day job and have everything in tubs and on shelves, etc.  Since we are all working from remote due to the pandemic, I would need to drive 20 min each way to go take more pix again, etc.  It seems like a lot of work for a $34 sale.  My issue, not a buyers issue, but we can't be the only ones where the inventory is not close by?

Would you mind sharing about your BBLs, how you handle these requests and how far you would go to accommodate a potential buyer?  We answered a total of 5 emails and sent them 3 additional pix of the back, side and top - exactly what they asked for.  The front and back of the widgit are in the listing and shelf wear, if any, is minimal.  

I want sales.  I guess I am wondering if we need to change our module in order to achieve them.  Wondering too - is it because everyone is viewing on some dang mobile device and it looks different than on a laptop?

Thanks in advance.  Sorry this is so long.  Long week, need Mr Belvedere

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: Blocked Buyers List - What Causes You to Add a Buyer to your List?

Hi, i block non-payers and the truly egregious. In over ten years, that comes to about 5 IDs total.

Message 76 of 86
latest reply

99% of the names on my block list are clowns who show their tails here in the forum.   The other 1% are non-payers.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 77 of 86
latest reply

I simply add anyone who acts like a nut or request something crazy. Its pretty easy to pick out the scammers and know who is worth dealing with and who will cost you money in the end after talking to them or dealing with them once. A scammer will be hostile right off the rip and demand not ask for things. They also wont normally ask about returning the product or be interested in your policy. They will say xxxxxxxxxxxxxx is wrong and I demand a refund. But they mostly do this with items below 5$ that most sellers will just refund to save money in the end on shipping. These scammers get hundreds of 3 to 5 dollar items every season by doing this. That's why I make every person wanting a refund return my products. Scammers like getting items delivered but not so much showing up on the cameras at the usps site to mail packages back. That one package can connect them to thousands of mail fraud cases if the cameras there caught on and the buyer get matched up. They love to go to the game but don't like to play the game if its possible they can lose in the end. Sometimes good customers come across wrong but its rare any legitimate buyer would give you a real reason to block them.

Message 78 of 86
latest reply

"look at my feedback dose it look like i pose a risk of unfavorable feedback. "

I was making a general statement, not making a personal attack. I don't stalk people from the eBay forums.

Message 79 of 86
latest reply

I'm with you.

It takes quite a bit before i'll block someone.

I don't  block people for asking a lot of questions or asking stupid questions.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 80 of 86
latest reply

...Long week, need Mr Belvedere @katzrul15 

I hear he's streaming on hulu...lol  Me too, Katz!

Message 81 of 86
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

99% of the names on my block list are clowns who show their tails here in the forum.  

Am i on your list?   😉

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 82 of 86
latest reply

I try to list as a seller to give the most details as possible along with photos. That is what I like to also see as a buyer on eBay.

I use a digital camera and sometimes my phone depending on lighting issues. 

If you don't have items on hand (in storage), it would be best to collect the photos you think you need to sell the item along with details and measurements to avoid the least amount of questions and additional work.

There are some buyers that ask weird questions and that is where a seller needs to decide themselves if this buyer is being too demanding and / or setting up the seller for a claim down the road for a freebee.  

Message 83 of 86
latest reply

#1 is when they will not take "we are not accepting offers" as a STOP ASKING! 

#2 is when they keep asking for free shipping when we are clear to state we try to keep our prices low to account for the costs of shipping the BUYER has to pay.

#3 is when they message asking 100+ questions when everything is listed in the pictures and/or description.

#4 is anything that happens during the sale:
- They cancel AFTER the label has been printed
- They return for buyer remorse
- They open a "not as described" and complain about things that were CLEARLY listed in the pictures/description (which is basically just another form of buyer remorse).

#5 is when they purchase and then try to get a faster form of shipping and ask to be invoiced outside of Ebay. 

That's the short list. 

Fortunately, I can say it does not happen that often but each of them do happen from time to time.

Message 84 of 86
latest reply

I block anyone I feel like blocking.  Lots of boardies, lots of "bad vibes", lots of reasons.  Oh and recently I've added a new criteria.  The boardies who private message me, to tell me PERSONALLY how wrong I am in my opinion.  I had one tell me that talking about blocking on the boards was against policy.  HMMM, an entire thread about blocking that's still up.  

I've said this before, I sell at flea markets.  I've told every one of my employees that they are allowed at any point to tell someone they are no longer a customer.  I will back them up and tell the "previous" customer, they are no longer allowed to buy from me.  I'll ask them afterwards why, but I will completely support their decision.  I probably have 5 excustomers that I will never sell to again.  Never.  

Recently blocked someone who used all their "best offers" to make the exact same offer.  Auto-denial caught them.  Then they messaged me with the exact same offer.  They used all of their best offer chances to offer the exact same amount each time, then messaged to ask why they couldn't do any more best offers.  REALLY?  

A couple more made my list due to this post.  

Message 85 of 86
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

...Long week, need Mr Belvedere @katzrul15 

I hear he's streaming on hulu...lol  Me too, Katz!

@ckimodog 

8 months later and lots of slow sales periods, constant glitches, site change debacles, nutty buyers, scams and fraud too.......yes, I still need Mr Belvedere!! 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 86 of 86
latest reply