cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Buyers List - What Causes You to Add a Buyer to your List?

Wondering if others will shares their thoughts on this?

I noticed today that my list was a little long - but after back and forth with a buyer wanting more pix and 3 more emails about the "edges and corners" and could I zoom in better (seriously, I am not a professional photog - I barely manage to get what I do done).......I ran, not walked to my BBL.

Sales are a little slow right now, but I really would prefer to wait for my price and for a buyer who isn't wanting 3 more angles of a corner of an item.  I am looking at this wrong?  I never used to get these types of emails and now, I feel like a large part of my day is spent on these emails.  I typically use 2-3 pix, I photograph the actual item, my widgits are typically new, factory/sealed and I note any flaws in the listing.  If it is open box, that is how it is listed and I usually do not list something that has package damage, etc for this very reason - if I do, it is listed as "used" to avoid any issues and I note in the description that the widgit is new, but the packaging is not and show a pix of the damage.  The email today was on a $34 widgit with free shipping, not something previously hung in the Louvre.

Lastly, our inventory is not at our fingertips.  We rent space above my office used for my day job and have everything in tubs and on shelves, etc.  Since we are all working from remote due to the pandemic, I would need to drive 20 min each way to go take more pix again, etc.  It seems like a lot of work for a $34 sale.  My issue, not a buyers issue, but we can't be the only ones where the inventory is not close by?

Would you mind sharing about your BBLs, how you handle these requests and how far you would go to accommodate a potential buyer?  We answered a total of 5 emails and sent them 3 additional pix of the back, side and top - exactly what they asked for.  The front and back of the widgit are in the listing and shelf wear, if any, is minimal.  

I want sales.  I guess I am wondering if we need to change our module in order to achieve them.  Wondering too - is it because everyone is viewing on some dang mobile device and it looks different than on a laptop?

Thanks in advance.  Sorry this is so long.  Long week, need Mr Belvedere

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: Blocked Buyers List - What Causes You to Add a Buyer to your List?

I put buyers on the BLOCK list, when they give me a negative vibe, and when thoughts of Jack Torrance flashing in my mind...😧

ZZZZ_32.jpg

Message 2 of 86
latest reply

My inventory is in an out building on my property but still a PITA to root through for a picture, especially if there is already 14 pictures posted.  Depending on the price of the item dictates if I will take the extra step or not.  FOr a $20.00 item probably not UNLESS there is no picture close to what they are asking for.

If I get a bad vibe they will go on the BBL.  If they do not pay YES on the BBL.'

This is a hobby for me that pays for our diving trips to the Caribbean 3 times a year.  I no longer try to kill myself over e bay.  Been a lot happier since I stopped chasing the top rated seller and moved to 3 day handling.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 3 of 86
latest reply

I block so much I have a contingency plan for the day I meet my limit of 5,000.  It's usually after they ask a question that is already answered in the listing.  Like making an offer when best offer is not in the listing or wanting me to give free shipping.  I check the feedback any question asker has given (not received) and sometimes I get a hint they've had many customer service issues.  The last buyer I blocked wanted both plus asked me to throw in a free stuffed toy.  For real obnoxious potential buyers I may even end the listing and put it in time out for a month or two; hoping they shop elsewhere.  

Message 4 of 86
latest reply

YEP!  Stay AWAY, FAR AWAY for the most part, when the potential buyer keeps grilling you on details already in the listing, like a police interrogation. Also, on lowing the price, reduce or free shipping, can you pack it this way or that way, send it this method, etc, etc...😧

ZZZZ_34 - Copy.jpg

Message 5 of 86
latest reply

Some sellers here will block a buyer simply for asking a stupid question or making a low offer.

Not me. It would take quite a bit more before i'll block a buyer.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 86
latest reply

Blocked Buyers List - What Causes You to Add a Buyer to your List?

Nothing. Because I know that buyers can change accounts on eBay as easily as they change their socks. 

Message 7 of 86
latest reply

I agree.  The vibe, the attitude.

Nothing I can write in a hard & fast rule.

I have an item, well worth the 100 dollars I had it listed as.

Free shipping too.

A guy sent me an offer for 25 dollars.  I paid more than that for it, not to mention shipping would have been just over 10 dollars.

I declined.  Next day I got another offer from him.

20 dollars.

Gasp!  Was I being punished 5 dollars for not agreeing to his first offer???

😆

Declined & blocked.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 8 of 86
latest reply

I have on rare occasion cancelled a sale for a buyer that was blocked.  It's against eBay policy to circumvent a block.  It's usually easy to figure out if you ban them one day and it sells the next to the same dinky town with a zero feedback new buyer...  To me the sale has a high risk of negative feedback, especially if they were blocked because they had a history of leaving negatives.   

IMO eBay does not have my back so I have to sell defensively.  That's why I frequently put items in time out so they can't be sold at all.    I do 'sell similar' and save it as a draft.  I can end the listing or if the buyer has been nasty revise it with a pair of worn out shoes used to mow the lawn or a Grim Reaper action figure a dog chewed up and decapitated.

Message 9 of 86
latest reply

I no longer try to kill myself over e bay.  Been a lot happier since I stopped chasing the top rated seller and moved to 3 day handling.

We did this due to Holiday shipping debacle and never changed it back.  Yes, it has been freeing.  Still ship same day most of the time, but every once in a while, it has been 1-2 days and the world did not end.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 10 of 86
latest reply

The last buyer I blocked wanted both plus asked me to throw in a free stuffed toy.  For real obnoxious potential buyers I may even end the listing and put it in time out for a month or two; hoping they shop elsewhere.  

Okay - and I thought my past week was rough - I have never dealt with buyers who think this is Cabo and we're haggling on the beach.

Never knew it was limited to 5000 and we've been selling here since 2004, so am guessing we have yet to hit the max as I have added about 10 since November and for us, that seems like more than usual.

I guess we need to re-think about seller protection as clearly the BBL really does not mean much anymore since you really can create as many accounts as you like and pay for the widgit with any means you desire, unlike the days of requiring a Paypal account to validate it was a "real" buyer.

I really do wish to work smarter - not harder.  But I also do not wish to go all this work and have it given to the buyer for "free".  We don't even have free plush toys to send along to someone - lol, so I guess our fish bowl is better than it seems. 

Yesterday was a really trying day with e-Bay and customers.  Wasn't looking for validation to use the BBL, I was trying to understand how to do this better or not use it, i guess, as ultimately, I would prefer the sale - money is money.  We're only averaging 7-8 sales per day right now, down from 30+/day in Nov, Dec and Jan.  Yes, small seller compared to most, but this is a side biz for us as we both work FT.  Today is Saturday and we only shipped 5 parcels today, so my BBL is not our problem, unfortunately.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 11 of 86
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

I block them if they fart in my face.

Message 12 of 86
latest reply

@katzrul15 

>What Causes You to Add a Buyer to your List?

1) Asking a question already answered in the item listing.

2) Not paying for 2 days.

3) Requesting a return/refund for any reason.

4) Making a lowball offer.

5) Complaining about my prices.

6) Using the boards to make a political/cultural statement.

7) Being a member of the "Cheerleading Squad" aka Comment Police.

and probably quite a few other reasons that don't come to mind at the moment.

Message 13 of 86
latest reply

When they refuse to understand the word "no".

Message 14 of 86
latest reply

I don't block a lot of people and try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but here are a few of the reasons I would:  Zero or low feedback buyers who don't pay for an item.  Buyers with obvious mental health issues who have been very difficult to deal with (understatement). They get blocked so I hopefully never have to deal with them again.  A very few times I've gotten a negative vibe from someone, checked the feedback they have left for others, and saw that they were obviously a very difficult, unreasonable buyer. They were added to the list. That's pretty much it. I try not to block people because I'm in the business of selling, but sometimes it's deserved, and on they go.

Message 15 of 86
latest reply