cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big price increase with the Post office 2019

If favorably reviewed by the PRC, the new prices will include a 5-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail Forever stamp, from 50 cents to 55 cents. The single-piece additional ounce price will be reduced to 15 cents, so a 2-ounce stamped letter, such as a typical wedding invitation, will cost less to mail, decreasing from 71 cents to 70 cents.

First-Class Package Service, a lightweight expedited offering used primarily by businesses for fulfillment purposes, will move to zone-based pricing to better align with the cost of service and improve value based on distance.

he proposed Mailing Services price changes include:

Product
Letters (1 oz.)
Letters additional ounces
Letters (metered 1 oz.)
Outbound International Letters (1 oz.)
Domestic Postcards  

Current
50 cents
21 cents
47 cents
$1.15
35 cents

Proposed
55 cents
15 cents
50 cents
$1.15
35 cents

The proposed domestic Priority Mail Retail Flat Rate price changes are:

Product
Small Flat Rate Box
Medium Flat Rate Box
Large Flat Rate Box
APO/FPO Large Flat Rate Box
Regular Flat Rate Envelope
Legal Flat Rate Envelope
Padded Flat Rate Envelope

Current
$7.20
$13.65
$18.90
$17.40
$6.70
$7.00
$7.25

Proposed
$7.90
$14.35
$19.95
$18.45
$7.35
$7.65
$8.00

First-Class Package Service, a lightweight expedited offering used primarily by businesses for fulfillment purposes, will move to zone-based pricing to better align with the cost of service and improve value based on distance.

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Big price increase with the Post office 2019

The small FRB cost $4.95 (retail) when it was launched in 2009. Unlike the medium and large boxes, it was a size already available through USPS, formerly known as 1096-S.

Debates about whether the old 1096-S boxes could be shipped at the new small-box flat rate dropped off when it was pointed out that they could fit inside a flat-rate envelope.

Message 46 of 69
latest reply

Yes, these prices do happen every year. Have you not paid any attention to how international mail rates are created? Look it up and you will understand that we have been subsidizing China for years. Only now the costs are even more. Any person, not just eBay sellers are having to foot the bill for the cost of delivering all those e-packets that the Chinese only pay a couple dollars for. Our cost for the same service would be closer to 40.00-50.00 and one of the reasons why you don't return any items bought from China. You can't afford to.
Message 47 of 69
latest reply

You do know that the USPS is no longer owned by out government, right? Our government let it go many years ago, same way they did all those medicines created by the people for the people. They are now owned completely by big pharma, and USPS is also owned by others.
Message 48 of 69
latest reply

USPS needs to raise rates, however they raise them on the wrong sellers.Large mail order companies,Amazon, and China do not even pay pennies more while small sellers get raised $.10 to $.60 for first class and priority mail which is substantial.They do this every year far over inflation rates until they put smaller sellers out of business. Most sellers can not keep raising prices every year.The post office needs to cut down on millions of dollars of waste which I see first hand each time I walk into my local post office.

Message 49 of 69
latest reply

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/17/business/postal-treaty-withdrawal/index.html

Should probably read that. Thats subsidy you speak of is abut to come to a halt.

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

@fine_find wrote:
You do know that the USPS is no longer owned by out government, right? Our government let it go many years ago, same way they did all those medicines created by the people for the people. They are now owned completely by big pharma, and USPS is also owned by others.

Not true.  No one "owns" USPS; it is a service provided by the government (it's part of the Executive Branch).  It is called independent because it is supposed to operate by using its own revenues.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 51 of 69
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@fine_find wrote:

Not true.  No one "owns" USPS; it is a service provided by the government (it's part of the Executive Branch).  It is called independent because it is supposed to operate by using its own revenues.

The Postal Servicereceives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products, and services to fund its operations. But while Congress doesn't fund thepost office, they do continue to control the purse strings.

Change the channel!
Message 52 of 69
latest reply

The zone based rates are the most annoying thing.

I would have switched to the calculated shipping costs a long time ago if only ebay would let you put the actual weight of an item in. I have items that maybe weigh 1/10 of a oz but 1oz is the minimum you can put so if someone buys 10 that's 10oz and it would charge shipping as such.  I ship allot to PR and i'm sure that will now cost ALLOT more, This is so annoying.

Message 53 of 69
latest reply

This is more preferable to it being government run. 

Message 54 of 69
latest reply

@ibuyyoulongtime wrote:
 ... I have items that maybe weigh 1/10 of a oz but 1oz is the minimum you can put so if someone buys 10 that's 10oz and it would charge shipping as such....

Why not set up a combined shipping rule that charges only for the first item, then allows all additional items for free?  The cost of First Class postage is the same for all packages up to 4 ounces, so that's dozens of items if they are actually ten to each ounce.

Shipping to PR from WV will cost the same as shipping to California.

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

Hello fellow sellers!

What am I missing here with these new rates and "9 zones?"

How am I suppose to list an item with shipping when I do not know where it is headed?

I must be living in some bizarre universe, I am really clueless.

Help me understand all this madness.

Message 56 of 69
latest reply

No change in the standard 8 zones, just added previously undefined Zone 9 to:

• Palua
  • Micronesia
  • Marshal Islands
  • Guam
  • Marianna Islands

https://postalpro.usps.com/zone_chart_Exceptions_presentation

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

Here is a link to a post office chart that will let you know all the zones for shipping based on the first 3 digits of your home zip code. Easy to understand and very helpful to those of us who ship first class packages of various weights. https://postcalc.usps.com/DomesticZoneChart
Message 58 of 69
latest reply

What about the decrease in fuel, did they factor that in, I think not. Someone has to pay for the retirement of those people who retired 20 years ago

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

FedEx Ground is always a better way for larger items.

Message 60 of 69
latest reply