cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beanie babies

This is my first time doing this and my mom gave me my old beanie babies I was just wondering how would I go about selling them or getting them appraised to see if they are worth anything?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Beanie babies

@murph1727 wrote:

@bennotbill  Beanie Babies are not for pets. They contain plastic pellets inside which can be swallowed by pets when ripped open.

Indeed. There are stuffed animals specially made for pets, but Beanie Babies are not included.

Dogs love stuffed animals. This, for example, is Leo, who never goes anywhere without his pet monkey: 
 Leo_and_friend.jpg

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Collectibles 100 years from now will not have appreciated in the same way collectibles from 100 years ago have. The main reason being is that people are saving all of this stuff.  When I was a kid 50 year old comics were the cream of the crop and ALL OF THEM were valuable.  Compare to 50 year old comics today, 1974, the majority of which in average condition are worth less than $1. 80s and newer, even less valuable.

There will still be complete (and completely worthless) boxes of 1990 sports cards floating around 100 years from now.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@danialca29 wrote:

This is my first time doing this and my mom gave me my old beanie babies I was just wondering how would I go about selling them or getting them appraised to see if they are worth anything?

They aren't worth anything. You will spend more money in time than you will ever make.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Hi For what its worth I used to take me Beanie Babies to the flea Market and sell them 3 for a dollar.  I still have 2 bins full in the garage

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

@murph1727 wrote:

@bennotbill  Beanie Babies are not for pets. They contain plastic pellets inside which can be swallowed by pets when ripped open.

Also plastic eyes that can be chewed off.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

They do sell, but don't expect to get more than about $4-8 for most of them. These days they aren't collectible, just toys that people buy for their kids. I have a bunch listed and I sell one every few months or so.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@a_c_green 

"Taking this from the other end of that perspective: what item(s) were the topic of a collecting craze back in 1924? How are those items valued now?"

Real good question:  I wasn't around then; but some of my older collector friends (who have since passed away) had mentioned the original "dime novels" (FRANK READE Jr, NICK CARTER and so on),  and the older "yellowback" novels (following the adventures of Buffalo Bill, Deadeye Dick, Kit Carson and other American western heroes).

I see very few of either the dime novels or the "yellowbacks" anymore;  but there wasn't much interest for them after the 1980s, and only minor interest in the dime novels in the 1950s and 1960s.

Also books in the Horatio Alger series.  I see them from time to time; but interest in those has died out, as well.

Radio was still in its early days in 1924; and it is likely that advertising premiums connected with products advertised on radio would have been considered collectible.  These turn up every once in a while; and are still fun to examine, especially for some of the more famous radio programs and radio performers from that period, many of whom then made the transfer to movies and even early television.

Authentic American western items were very much in demand, I am told -- everything from pistols and rifles,  to boots and chaps, plus leather horse gear, law officer badges, and so on -- much of which actually remains collectible even today.

And let's not forget American Civil War items -- 60 years after the end of all those battles, there were still a few veterans around, as well as their children and grandchildren -- and any authentic memorabilia would have been considered a hot collectible.

But what made most of these items "collectible" (except for perhaps the cheap radio premiums) was the original negligible value of the items themselves, and the manner in which most people from the decades preceding 1924 had considered these items as DISPOSABLE, and of little value.  That, by its very nature, is the most important "stand-alone" feature of ANY "collectibles" market -- that these were items that previous generations had chosen to USE and HANDLE, rather than to be set aside as "future investments."

And that variable is what easily eliminates Beanie Babies from serious consideration as "collectibles" -- from nearly the outset, the manufacturer had promoted these items as "instant collectibles."

And too many "investors" took that term seriously, and bought multiple quantities of each Beanie as it first hit the shelves, and stored them carefully away in some sunlight-protected room -- and never let the kids play with them.

Which is one of the reasons why today's marketplace is flooded with barrels and bins filled with Beanie Babies -- going nowhere at 50 cents apiece.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Donate or keep them, they are probably worth a couple of bucks, not worth the time to invest in them. It's a fad that's gone by the wayside.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

100 years from now they will STILL be worthless. I have stuff from the 1800's that is worthless. Neat to have but not worth anything and believe me when I tell you that there were a whole lot less of those items made in the 1800's than some stuffed toy made in mass production in the 1990's.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

I think I recognize Leo's friend as the Kohl's version of Curious George.  Should be easy to replace if it ever gets lost.  

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

You turned me off, I was debating which one to buy, I like the one with the free shipping. lol

ten_o_nine_0-1711061365517.png

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@ten_o_nine 

Oooo -- and look how "rare" they are -- only 5900 listed!

Maybe you can offer only $750,000.00. . .

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Depending on the variety, and the beans enclosed,  there might be some good soups to be made. Remove the fur and skins prior to boiling. Eyes sockets, ears, toes, nose cartilage make great stock.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@byrd69er 

And a good source of vitamin B(eanie).

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@byrd69er wrote:

Depending on the variety, and the beans enclosed,  there might be some good soups to be made. Remove the fur and skins prior to boiling. Eyes sockets, ears, toes, nose cartilage make great stock.

You can collect all the little skins and sew them into fashionable accessories, a bit like those horrible mink body stoles women wore in the 60s with the beady eyes and dangling claws (you'd need to keep the eyes and feet back for that).

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 33
latest reply