cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery bank listing fraud is apparently okay and ebay looking the other way?

Just was going to buy some new battery banks with the mag safe charging and some other variations and realized that its almost impossible to find any where the sellers aren't committing fruad and seriously falsifying the specs on these things. They're claiming 1,000,000 mAh capacities which would be almost as much as a tesla power wall that weighs 300lbs. I messaged the really big seller who is scamming every buyer and has the highest possible seller rating still to see if i could get some of the real specs on the units hes selling since he has the largest selection i have seen without having to order from china. And he just lied right to me and insulted my intelligence so now it's personal. It's gonna make a good blog topic and will help consumers who might not have the knowledge I do and would have no way to know they are being scammed unless they are educated so maybe my blog will help some people and it will draw some attention to this and make them have to clean it up. They make up false terminology that doesn't even exist and make it sound good to fool people and then have a whole story about conversion rates and wte else to justify it but its blatent fraud there's no other way to look at it. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed how outta hand this has gotten and have any input that might help with the article im putting together. What really sucks is it is harming the honest sellers who are putting the accurate specification on their listings. They cant compete if the other guy is claiming his are 50 times higher capacity and ebay allows them to do that so then they have to either lie also and falsify the listings to compete or they won't move their product.

Heres an example of what I am referring to, not to single this one out because there are thousands o... 

For anyone that doesnt know what that really means, 1,000,000mAh would be the same as 1000 Ah. So if we wanted to compare this this claim to say a tesla wall, we would have to convert it to kWh. So it would have to have at least 2 lithium cells in series inside, That would make it 3.7V x 2  nominally which equals 7.4V for the two cells in series.

So if the capacity in Ah is 1000 as he's claiming, that would be 7400 Wh or 7.4 kWh which is what they measure the capacity of the massive 300-350lb tesla walls that run your whole house.

The 300lb tesla power walls are 13.5 kWh.

The specs this seller and others would mean that two of these packs they are selling that would weigh maybe 5-6 ounces total would have a 14.8 kWh capacity. And store more energy than the 300lb top of the line tesla power walls that cost $20,000 or whatever they're at now. It's beyond impossible and ridiculous to go that far with it but i saw thousands and some were almost as ridiculous as these ones.

Realistically, this pack he's claiming is 1,000,000 mAh is actually only 5,000 mAh and that's probably generous. So it's not a minor embellishment where the margin of error could justify it. It's blatantly embellishing the capacity by over 20,000% It's nowhere near the 15% margin that's acceptable.

And he is selling a ton of them and making a lot of money by taking advantage of the general public who don't have the knowledge to even know they are being taken advantage of.

And once again im not shingling this seller out he's one of many he just happens to be the one I see with the largest selection and very high sales and he is making very good money by lying and harming the honest sellers by doing it.

And when I made it clear I know he's full of it and asked if he could just let me know what the real specs are on some of his units that I was interested in buying he lied to my face and insulted my intelligence and said that its just the "conversion" and the actual capacity varies based on that and its okay to embellish that much. The conversion he referred to is the  15% variance between capacity ratings depending on wheathey youre rating it at the nominal voltage or the maximum voltage when calculating the mWh capacity.

20,000% embellishment when talking about specifications that are the consumers only means to make an informed decision and know what they are buying is not anywhere even on the same planet as the 15 percent variance between nominal and max voltage ratings which embellishing beyond that 15% is already fraud but going as far as they are is just confusing the buyers even more and taking advantage of them and making it so they have no clue how to even use the specifications to make purchases anymore when one says 1,000,000 mAh and another that looks just like it says 300,000 and then the seller whos actually reporting the real specifications in his listing has the similar pack for sale and its only 5,000 mAh. How could the buyer possibly make an informed purchase after that or ever have any clue what a good value would be when buying batteries or battery packs or chargers or anything else that use these same specificaitons to express the storage capacity, charge rates, and discharge rates for every product class that charges, discharges, and stores energy which is an important thing to understand now with how much we rely on lithium powered portable devices.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The seller is from China, dropshipping so they probably don't know anything about the items they are selling.

They get their information from their supplier.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@smartsolutions518 ,

Ebay has MBG policy that covers buyers if what they receive is not what is promised. All buyers have to do is open a INAD claim.

A seller who gets too many will soon be looking for another venue to ply there wares.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I messaged the really big seller who is scamming every buyer and has the highest possible seller rating still to see if i could get some of the real specs on the units hes selling since he has the largest selection i have seen without having to order from china.”

Why would you consider ordering from a selller who by your report is committing fraud?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

With 1.5 billion listings on eBay, there is no way eBay can hire experts to review the specifications of every item and unearth all fraudulent claims made by sellers. At just 10 seconds per listing, it would take 2,083 man-years to review all 1.5 billion listings on eBay.

That is why eBay gives buyers a money back guarantee in the event that an item is not what it is claimed to be. And if that fails, they can file a charge back with their payment  provider.

Just because Bay cannot prevent all fraud on their site does not mean that it is "apparently okay" or that they are "looking the other way".

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Sadly, a lot of these sellers work for pennies a day.

Some are children, literally, indentured into servitude through their parents plight.

That certainly doesn't make it right, but it allows me to have some compassion towards the whole situation.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

There was someone who posted about the same concerns a while back on the UK forum. Despite the obvious fake claims that were pointed out on some long threads time and time again nothing was ever done by eBay as far as I know.

They did say that they would have to buy some items and return them as clearly not as described as eBay would take no notice otherwise.

Don't know what happened in the end. Chances are if they did what they said they were going to I expect they ended up being kicked off the site while the fake battery sellers carry on.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I reported an item recently (counterfeit). From the time I reported it, to the time eBay said they looked into it and took down the item was approximately 9 hours. So it is worth it. The only thing I wish they had done better is remove the similar items that seller was listing, which they did not (at least in that 9 hour period). Wasn't going to report all those too.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

"Sadly, a lot of these sellers work for pennies a day.

Some are children, literally, indentured into servitude through their parents plight."

Shipping from China to the US has been cheaper than domestic shipping due to an international postal system that favors developing countries over developed ones. The US has challenged this system and demanded more flexibility in setting its own rates for inbound mail.

almost like a system put into place. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Nothing new.  Buyers have always had to know what they are buying.  Best to buy from well known sellers and companies.  Lot of snake oil out there.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply