cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad experience as a new seller

I listed three item on July 27th.  The first item sold on July28.  However I got message from the buyer to send more pictures.  I had listed 5 pictures and answered that I didn't know what else I could take pictures of.  I alerted Ebay, I don't even remember how.  They send a message that the buyer was not an Ebay member so they took down my listing.  Now I have to go and create it again.  I don't know how this person got to bid if they are not a member.

Then today, I got a nasty message from a buyer telling me that I had fraudulently listed an item saying that it was from the 1940's and he was going to report me and wanted a refund.  We went back and forth all day. He continued to tell me that it was my misleading information.  It was very upsetting.   I told him that he didn't purchases anything from me, my listing did not say that it was from the 1940's  He then sent me a picture of the listing but it wasn't mine.  He  had my Ebay item number in his email but not my listing.  How did it have the Ebay number but a different posting?  I couldn't find anywhere to send Ebay this situation other than the seller page even though the problem is with the buyer   Then when I went back into Ebay my item was still there with no bids, and ending date of Aug3 but when I scrolled to the bottom of the listing, it showed this same person as the buyer.  I am completely disgusted.  I sold on Ebay 20 years ago and everything was perfect.  What can I do in this situation.  I'm have a lot of things to sell but I am afraid to do so.  Maybe I should give Mercari a try.  I know that their audience is not as wide.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sorry, but I got pretty lost in your post.  Your item was still there with no bids, but when you scrolled to the bottom it showed the same person on the buyer.  How could that be?

Unless the person to whom you refer is an actual buyer, why not just ignore him, or you can also block him and check that you do not want to see messages from him.

PS:  I see no sales from you under this ID.  

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

However I got message from the buyer to send more pictures. 

@natschw85 

This one sounds like the typical eBay "text me" scammer.   You need to NOT respond to them in the future.  If you accepted an "offer" and they start with their typical message that requires you to respond off site, you can at least report them.  Likely others already did do that, so eBay gave the ID the axe, which will make your transaction void.  You should still be able to find it though.  Since I don't sell here anymore someone that uses the "seller hub" will tell you where to look.  These people are annoying, but they never pay.  They just send you phony payment notifications saying the money is on hold for you.  ......  If you fell for the first phase of the scam, they will ask you to buy some pre-paid gift cards to include the the parcel.  

I told him that he didn't purchases anything from me, my listing did not say that it was from the 1940's  He then sent me a picture of the listing but it wasn't mine. 

Either this person is totally confused or trying to shake you down for some money.  Can't really say. Best bet is to IGNORE going forward and see if they file a case against you.  Doubt if they can if they are not the buyer of record.  If it happens, however, come back here for advice on what to do. 

Unfortunately, you are a new seller.  Here that means that you are a SCAM MAGNET for all sorts of unsavory activity.  They hope you don't know any better, and many don't.   If in doubt, always ASK.  In the meantime read here and become acquainted with the routines used by the text me scammers, the change of address scammers, and the phony tracking number crowd that will do that for a return.  

You can do it.  Just be smarter than the usual eBay crook!  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@natschw85 wrote:

Then when I went back into Ebay my item was still there with no bids, and ending date of Aug3 but when I scrolled to the bottom of the listing, it showed this same person as the buyer.

Can you explain this better? How did it have no bids but on the same page show there was a bidder/buyer?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I wish that i knew.  It didn't show that he bought.  At the bottom of the page, it had his screen name and said do you want to meet the buyer, or something like that.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thank you so much.  I did respond saying that I took 4 pictures, what more does he want.  I will know to ignore

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Which item shows as having been sold? This is more than a bit puzzling, because I see two current listings for you and no sold items.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I understand that you are confused.  It didn't show that he bought my item.  It jus had his screen name and said do you want to meet the or a buyer.  I would have ignored but he said that I had committed fraud and he was going to report me.  He was trying to settle this before he had to take it further.  I now how harmful a negative review can be especially accusing someone of fraud.  I later went into e-bay and reviewed the "sold" site. There was sign like mine that did say "1940".  So I messaged him and showed him that he must have gotten me confused with her.  The biggest problem that i see is that there is no way to report a problem like this with a buyer.  There are ways to complain about a seller but not a buyer.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=3&quer...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

I've learned a thick skin is pretty much required to deal with these online people.

The easier they can get to you, the harder and faster they come at you.

Don't let them get you down, my dear.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Can you explain why you felt you had to deal with this person in any way?

He did not buy from you and there is no evidence that he did so, as far as I can tell.

You could have successfully ignored him.  He could not have left any kind of FB because he was not in a transaction with you.  Have no idea how he could have reported you for anything.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The Buyer IDs that are messing with you, be sure to add them to your Blocked Buyer List (BBL).

Unfortunately as a Zero FB seller, you are being targeted by scammers and such.

Often New Sellers are encouraged to build a little buying Feedback on their ID before they sell.  As a new Seller, you will be subject to payout holds initially, so be prepared for that.

My son and daughter both sell on other sites, including e-Bay and the one you mentioned. They report good things about it - have never used it myself.  Perhaps a mix of the 2 sites as you get started?  Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Maybe the picture was of a true vintage sign to compare and he was saying yours isn't from the 4Os. Appears to be an 80s repop.  A VINTAGE Pepsi thermometer would be from 1940-69.  Maybe he wanted you to remove vintage from your description or change it to VIntage Style.    Some members try to be helpful like that.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply