cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE OF BUYER

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to share this but if you read this, try to share it with as many sellers as possible. This happened to me less than 24 hours ago and I am still pained from it.

A buyer "" ordered 2 iPads from me which I shipped and paid for the shipping cost. The iPads delivered and I immediately got a return request. The buyer indicated that I shipped metal instead of 2 Apple 1st Gen. iPads (IMAGES ATTACHED).

The 2 iPads weigh no more than 4lbs 4 oz. Knowing what I do about USPS, if the package is not "flat rate", it will be returned for incorrect weight (shipping weight higher than prepaid label). The 5lbs weight plate is definitely higher than the weight of the 2 tablets combined so it is obvious I did my part as an honest seller and shipped the 2 iPads. Unfortunately the buyer is dishonest and to add salt to injury, the buyer left me a negative feedback. How callous can people actually be?

Due to the fact that I am a new seller (1 month), I do not want any negative feedback so I took this loss after communicating with the buyer my displeasure and issued a refund to the buyer with the agreement that he would need to revise the feedback. Since receiving the refund, the buyer has changed the feedback to "Got my order on time. Device working as seller described". How do you leave a feedback like this when you didn't receive the item?

Anyway I do not intend to make this a long mail but I just thought you all should beware of this buyer.

I am left with one question directed at eBay and the longtime top rated sellers "what is eBay doing to protect the sellers?"

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

BEWARE OF BUYER

@resale_hk wrote:

I am left with one question directed at eBay and the longtime top rated sellers "what is eBay doing to protect the sellers?"

Not much. Your word against the buyer and in most cases Ebay sides for the buyer.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

Thank you for the information. The buyer is now on our blocked lists. You need to add their ebay id to your blocked buyer list so they will not be able to buy from you again with that ebay id and steal from you. One thing I noted on your sale was that the transaction was a private listing sale. Personally I do not like private listings and will not buy from those type of listings. I while I know that you do not use private feedback I do not like private feedback and feel that sellers/buyers can use it to hiding things. Feedback is one of the few things that SOMETIMES can be used buy sellers to help them decide on if they want to accept an offer. Private feedback takes that away.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

What a bizarre thing to say you shipped considering that 5 lb plate is worth quite a bit now and a highly flipped item at this time.

Are those your pictures of the item after he returned it or ones he sent you? If the latter, which I think it is, if you study the pictures that set up looks like a typical seller's photo setup for taking item pictures.

So my guess is this guy is also a seller and maybe those weight plates are an item he purchased to flip.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

I would have immediately close my seller account closed PayPal and just connected any credit cards associated with it and told the buyer and eBay to  **Bleep** off.

So how do you feel like selling on eBay now?

If it happened once it'll happen again. These community boards are full of horror stories just like yours.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

So you're saying he stole your ipads, claiming you shipped him a 5 lb. weight, but you got him to leave you positive feedback saying the ipads he stole from you work great?

Maybe ask him to upload a video showing how great the ipads he stole from you that he didn't receive work, because, you know, AFHV has a stupid criminals segment.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

@resale_hk wrote:

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to share this but if you read this, try to share it with as many sellers as possible. This happened to me less than 24 hours ago and I am still pained from it.

A buyer "sylvieobi0" ordered 2 iPads from me which I shipped and paid for the shipping cost. The iPads delivered and I immediately got a return request. The buyer indicated that I shipped metal instead of 2 Apple 1st Gen. iPads (IMAGES ATTACHED).

The 2 iPads weigh no more than 4lbs 4 oz. Knowing what I do about USPS, if the package is not "flat rate", it will be returned for incorrect weight (shipping weight higher than prepaid label). The 5lbs weight plate is definitely higher than the weight of the 2 tablets combined so it is obvious I did my part as an honest seller and shipped the 2 iPads. Unfortunately the buyer is dishonest and to add salt to injury, the buyer left me a negative feedback. How callous can people actually be?

Due to the fact that I am a new seller (1 month), I do not want any negative feedback so I took this loss after communicating with the buyer my displeasure and issued a refund to the buyer with the agreement that he would need to revise the feedback. Since receiving the refund, the buyer has changed the feedback to "Got my order on time. Device working as seller described". How do you leave a feedback like this when you didn't receive the item?

Anyway I do not intend to make this a long mail but I just thought you all should beware of this buyer.

There is definately a scam going on here.  Either it's the buyer or someone at the post office is stealing items.  New seller = easy prey.   Now there isn't much you can do because you did everything the buyer was hoping you would: refund and let them keep the item. 

Always come to the boards first to get help.  There are special mail fraud reports that can be filled out.   Chances are, this buyer has done it before and if sellers don't bother to report them and keep refunding because they are scared about a negative, these buyers will keep doing it.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

Sorry for any confusion the edits may have caused. The edits were to the topic title only. Thanks for your understanding. If you have any questions in regards to the edit, please contact me via private message.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

I am sorry this happened to you.  Unfortunately thieves look for the new sellers to target for higher priced items.  Ebay advertises to sell your Iphones and tablets.  They fail to let the seller know they side with the thief almost all the time.  Ebay is not losing on the sale, the seller is the loser.

My advice to you is to file a police report on them in their city and ask for a copy.   Contact USPS and report them for mail fraud.   Report them to IC3.  Once you get the reports try to appeal the case to ebay.   Also let the buyer know you have filed these case against them if nothing else to hopefully shake them up.

As stated by somebody else put the buyer on your blocked buyer list.  In the future try selling lower priced items so as not to be a scam magnet.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

BEWARE OF BUYER

As far as I know, 4 lbs 1 oz is the same price as 5 lbs, the rates go per pound.  That's why he chose a 5 lb weight to claim as the scam.  

I would never sell high dollar electronics like that on here.  Too many risks.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply