cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic knives?

eBay rules say they're prohibited. I've seen them removed many times. Now I see modern Benchmades out the front automatics selling. Listed as Automatics. Why is eBay inconsistant about the rules?  And yes I know what an automatic knife is and I know these are.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Automatic knives?

Ebay doesn't police the site themselves. With well over one billion listings at any given time it would be impossible. Ebay depends on buyer reports. If you see something that's not allowed, report it. The link is on the top right side across from the description and shipping tabs on a desktop. Don't know where it is on mobile.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

Doesn't matter if it's reported. Ebay leaves them up.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

You don't know what action ebay might have taken.   They might have given the seller a warning, or other sanction short of removing the listing.   In any case, I agree that ebay is often inconsistent; and certainly I have reported violations in the past, without any apparent action by ebay. That is just the way it goes.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

Someone will report you and you will get in trouble.  Better just to pass.  Best regards

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

I've seen plenty of autos get sold.  Sometimes they list them as assisted, but some people flat out say it's an auto and rarely do I see them get removed before being sold.  Same with the balisongs.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

Give them time. Eventually those others will also get removed. What you are seeing is as soon as one gets removed, another gets listed. Ebay does not spend the time going through the site daily removing everything that is prohibited. It's best to just follow the rules because if you do not eventually you will be booted.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

If eBay would elaborate on the “what happens next” steps after an item is reported, that would end much of this frustrating speculation.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

I guess it just depends on who you are. I've had listings for legal button locks removed because the photo didn't show the knife in half open position to indicate it wasn't an automatic. I've noticed a lot of Buck 110 autos listed lately with the same sellers continuing to sell them over a period of time.

I had a $10.00  Chinese scrimshaw knife removed because ebay said the handles looked like ivory.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

Inteligent reply,thankyou.. I own a few nice autos. Two Microtechs,Combat Trodon and a Microtech Cyper, both bad boys. Does anyone want toput me down because i might of used E-BAY to help me find them ? Hmmm?? One, i dont think its to cool to harp on a company that helps lots of people find things they couldnt normally find or afford.. In my case I have an artificial wrist, and my interior hand is also artificial. One of these autos i mentioned, i open stuff with., Things you snively folks take for granted. You know those horrible fires yall see in the mountains. I help those tough CAL-FIRE boys an girls, I drive a 10 wheel water tanker in the mountain. I wont go into it but i wouldnot be here today had i not had a O.T.F. switchblade in my pocket to cut me free.. yikes.. My thanks to E-BAY an all the other search engines for giving us the ability to get items that we might not easily find elsewheir... To the tattletales i blow a rasberry!! Go cry elsewheir. Thanks again e-bay .,You make life fun an interesting for us disabled guys an gals.. Ever have a fire, call CAL-FIRE. Their a brave bunch, i know . MY house is only 10 miles from that God awful Paradise,CA fire that destryed , an a few other towns. Be Safe all an God Bless you all.. Matthew O.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

Preach!!!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

People used to carry straight razors but you couldn't ban shaving. The switch blade became a popular gang knife because it popped open fast with a cool snap sound. You could do a better job of stabbing with grandmas steak knife but that was uncool unless you were Norman Bates.  Popping open an automatic had a dramatic effect for the criminal who doesn't really want to stab anyone.

It was very intimidating in the 1970's. Now-a-days you pull a switch blade on someone and it's pretty much a vintage joke, they start looking around for the candid camera. Even cops think its funny.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

@bigwig.502 wrote:
Doesn't matter if it's reported. Ebay leaves them up.

Just keep stabbing at them with reports and get your homies stabbing too.  While the automatic knife has been relegated to historical status gang attacking a listing you don't like seems to work well in modern times. But you need to get your whole crew involved.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

I don't care if ebay allows auto knives or not, but they need to be consistent about what they do and don't allow. I've seen too many listings removed and now they are spotty about what they remove and leave. If I do business here I need to know what is allowed and what is banned. Nobody likes wishy washy rules.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Automatic knives?

"People used to carry straight razors but you couldn't ban shaving. The switch blade became a popular gang knife because it popped open fast with a cool snap sound. You could do a better job of stabbing with grandmas steak knife but that was uncool unless you were Norman Bates. Popping open an automatic had a dramatic effect for the criminal who doesn't really want to stab anyone.

It was very intimidating in the 1970's. Now-a-days you pull a switch blade on someone and it's pretty much a vintage joke, they start looking around for the candid camera. Even cops think its funny." 

Yep, and if you are in an open-carry state, you just get shot.  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 21
latest reply