cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication of sneakers flawed

I have been selling with eBay for years.  I sold a brand new pair of Golden goose which are to look distressed and had returned by authenticator saying more wear than what was represented. The shoes are new and meant to look distressed. Anyone who buys Golden Goose will know this. Now I lose a sale and it makes me look bad like I am trying to sell used shoes as new. No one at eBay will help and authenticator says sometimes human errors happen.   I always felt great about the authenticating service till this happened and now I feel they have people authenticating sneakers that know nothing about the brands they are authenticating.  I am disheartened by the way all of this has been handled and not sure if I will be pulling all my items from eBay at this point. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Authentication of sneakers flawed

here we go again: lets see if I can find the other topic just about the same item.....

edited to add.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Serious-questions-need-to-be-asked-about-Authentication-Pivota... 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

here we go again: lets see if I can find the other topic just about the same item.....

edited to add.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Serious-questions-need-to-be-asked-about-Authentication-Pivota... 

And the assurance the OP of that previous thread claims to have gotten from ebay was clearly lip service. Someone didn't get the memo.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thats for sure!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

well may be more a going on with this seller than the other: never know do we....

But that topic gives em some place to start....

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@bellaluxe69 

I don't know what to tell you at this point. I previously posted an ad for one of the authenticator positions in Vegas, qualifications were 18 years old and 1 year experience in e- commerce. 

I have never heard or seen these sneakers before that previous post before yours was made. But I have read up on them since and your right about the worn look.

I also don't know future sellers of this brand can get their sneakers authenticated while others cannot. Locations involving New York vrs Las Vegas maybe, where did yours go?

Agree that something needs to be done involving consistency in the authentication places. 

Perhaps you can follow up with eBay on this matter thru Facebook or ask Ina at e- commerce bytes. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your feedback. It continues to be excellent and thought provoking. You're detailed explanation of the problem at hand and solution continue surely don't go unnoticed. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Dear OP. Thanks for writing on my topic concerning this. 

Despite what's stated below, eBay is very aware of the problems with selling this item. Turns out, it takes more than 3-4 days to reengineer the entire process. Further, as I stated, eBay is very aware of the problem, but they stated on the phone when I spoke to them, that they have to go through "channels" to work with this 3rd party. It's very ambiguous as someone previously pointed out that eBay owns this entity that authenticates. I do not believe this is correct. They have a contract and apparently there are stipulations with how communication is done; as in forms, etc. This may take a few months to really sort itself out and why I also stated, it's probably not best to sell sneakers that require authentication. 

The authenticators do not know the shoe and I advise strongly that Golden Goose are not sold on eBay. Problem is this will only reach a few people and there are going to many disgruntled sellers in the meantime.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@fi.ra wrote:

Dear OP. Thanks for writing on my topic concerning this. 

Despite what's stated below, eBay is very aware of the problems with selling this item. Turns out, it takes more than 3-4 days to reengineer the entire process. Further, as I stated, eBay is very aware of the problem, but they stated on the phone when I spoke to them, that they have to go through "channels" to work with this 3rd party. It's very ambiguous as someone previously pointed out that eBay owns this entity that authenticates. I do not believe this is correct. They have a contract and apparently there are stipulations with how communication is done; as in forms, etc. 

Yes ebay owns sneaker con

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/29/22808373/ebay-sneaker-con-acquisition

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@fi.ra wrote:

The authenticators do not know the shoe and I advise strongly that Golden Goose are not sold on eBay. Problem is this will only reach a few people and there are going to many disgruntled sellers in the meantime.

There was a suggestion back in that previous thread of yours that the seller might include a note to the authenticators to explain that Golden Goose shoes are supposed to look distressed, right out of the factory. Kind of a Hail Mary workaround, of course, but you do what you have to do in order to sell here.

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks that it's slightly ridiculous to name your authentication outfit "Sneaker Con"?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@a_c_green 

And the sneakers probably fly con air!!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply