cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attn clothing sellers, I learned something today regarding measurements in listings...

Thought I would share with my fellow clothing sellers.  Was just dealing with a buyers remorse return due to fit.  Buyer initially chose 'doesn't fit', but then decided she wanted me to pay return shipping, as 'they didn't fit the same as the other items she owned that were the same brand/size'.  

I explained that's why I provide measurements.  Buyer measured (the same or not I'm unsure), and I guess my measurements were off by 1/2" on each side, whatever.  So buyer escalated claim, for what I'm unsure, as I already agreed to remorse return.

I called eBay rep (I know, not something to live or die by), BUT I did ask how to avoid this in the future.  As I've had other 'returns/SNAD' based on my supposedly faulty measuring skills.  They said instead of providing written measurements in the listing to simply take a photo with tape measure across items.  Makes sense, that way eBay will require buyer to send photos back with tape measure if they use SNAD based on measurements, and the photos can be compared.  

If you already know this, please ignore my advice 🙂  I didn't know this, and wish I would've known prior to my almost 500 listings WITHOUT measurement photos in the listing.  But thought I would share, in case others have occasionally come across the same issue I have and are frustrated by it 🙂 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Attn clothing sellers, I learned something today regarding measurements in listings...

@stonevintage,

COMPLETELY agree with selling mens clothing! I think I've had one ever (over a 10+ year period) return for mens clothing, all the rest are womens.  And the mens one was a honest remorse, easy peasy and done.

I'm just not as good at knowing what sells for men, and it doesn't seem as easy to find frequently.  Probably because women 'usually' have at least twice the wardrobe men do 🙂 lol

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: Attn clothing sellers, I learned something today regarding measurements in listings...

Now I understand seeing the pictures with the measurements - Only no description - unfortunately, without any measurements - many times the search engine will not pick up your listing - if you only depend on the numbers SHOWN in the pictures. If I list with measurements - I try to explain if the length includes a loop, a ribbon or whatever else so the person gets a rough estimate on the way I have measured - now I will probably do more rulers in the pictures to eliminate the guess work of people. Good Post - I learned a lot from the clothes sellers today! And good luck with the sales everyone!
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@swenson8781 wrote:

Thought I would share with my fellow clothing sellers.  Was just dealing with a buyers remorse return due to fit.  Buyer initially chose 'doesn't fit', but then decided she wanted me to pay return shipping, as 'they didn't fit the same as the other items she owned that were the same brand/size'.  

I explained that's why I provide measurements.  Buyer measured (the same or not I'm unsure), and I guess my measurements were off by 1/2" on each side, whatever.  So buyer escalated claim, for what I'm unsure, as I already agreed to remorse return.

I called eBay rep (I know, not something to live or die by), BUT I did ask how to avoid this in the future.  As I've had other 'returns/SNAD' based on my supposedly faulty measuring skills.  They said instead of providing written measurements in the listing to simply take a photo with tape measure across items.  Makes sense, that way eBay will require buyer to send photos back with tape measure if they use SNAD based on measurements, and the photos can be compared.  

If you already know this, please ignore my advice 🙂  I didn't know this, and wish I would've known prior to my almost 500 listings WITHOUT measurement photos in the listing.  But thought I would share, in case others have occasionally come across the same issue I have and are frustrated by it 🙂 

Well darlin you are the bomb. That's a perfect fix barring any weird stuff. But listen to this. It also helps when I measure dog collars. Leashes. Dog toys.  I think I will do this on any item that requires measurements of any kind. Sound idea my friend. Thank you 

RRR
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

I found this little free app online that you can download to your listing here, just gives a little outline of a male mannequin but you insert your size, brand, pit to pit, neck, sleeve length, over length ... whatever you want to show.... Men love it.

I was using an app also in my listings to show measurements but when Chrome announced that come October you need to have https  then I checked my listings and found not good. I am having to remove all of the outlines with the measurements or else I will not be in compliance.

You might want to check your listings for https.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

FYI I wear New Balance footwear and depending on the country of manufacture i.e  US or SE Asia teh size I wear will vary by 1/2 shoe size adn if they are from SE Asia I need to buy a W width.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Very good advice.....however I have hit the back button many times because there are no measurements in the listing.  And if there is a measuring tape displayed, it is too blurry and/or small for me to decide if it will fit me.  How many times are buyers expected to ask the seller?  I got tired of doing that, so the seller lost a potential sale.

I have also seen the title saying the size, and in the body of the listing it states a different size.  Really?

On the other hand I sometimes buy an item that fits perfectly and is exactly as described.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@mar_101 wrote:

Very good advice.....however I have hit the back button many times because there are no measurements in the listing.  And if there is a measuring tape displayed, it is too blurry and/or small for me to decide if it will fit me.  How many times are buyers expected to ask the seller?  I got tired of doing that, so the seller lost a potential sale.

I have also seen the title saying the size, and in the body of the listing it states a different size.  Really?

On the other hand I sometimes buy an item that fits perfectly and is exactly as described.

I too have seen listings that in the title it will state one size but the description and specifics state another size.  I usually contact the seller and ask which size is correct.  What is so annoying is when the seller answers you but never changes the title or the description.  Talk about a snad waiting to happen!

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I've never listed clothing without the measuring tape.  It's what 90% of the photos are for my clothing listings.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Wielding a ruler or tape measure just doesn't fit my rhythm when listing. I have learned to supply every measurement possible and expect that there will be differences among makers, and items will often be stretched. If you place anything in your description (plus, petite, etc), many buyers will rely on that, despite your actual measurements proving your description to be wrong. That tells me that lots of people simply don't read the measurements.

I'm only in the dozens so far, but I happily take returns. I don't think it's going to affect my overall profitability. If the item's margin is too low, I just tell them to keep it, and I still refund them. In my opinion, disagreements with buyers rarely go well for sellers, like it or not.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@dande2016 wrote:

@mar_101 wrote:

I too have seen listings that in the title it will state one size but the description and specifics state another size.  I usually contact the seller and ask which size is correct.  What is so annoying is when the seller answers you but never changes the title or the description.  Talk about a snad waiting to happen!

And you may not get an accurate answer.  Some say the less you say in the description, the less the buyer can to take exception to~~but actually that gives the buyer MORE to take exception to because they did not get accurate info in the listing.  Leaving that info out does not absolve  you of the responsibility to have included it, or absolve you of the possibility of a SNAD.  If anything, it leaves you more open to one.  The best way to not give a buyer anything to take exception to is to completely and accurately describe your item. 

Not saying something in the listing does not avoid a SNAD in any way.  Non disclosure can still mean a SNAD, simply because the item was misrepresented due to non disclosure~~and the buyer could not make an informed buying decision.  You gain nothing by withholding information~SNAD in the making there.

No surprises!

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

This is not always helpful.
1. Had buyer say length of sweater was off 1/2" and she provided a photo to Ebay with just a photo of just the last 5" of the tape measure showing a 1/2" difference. Ebay told me that the photo proved she was correct and I lost and got a defect too. If she had shown the entire tape measure it would have been okay but the buyer knew exactly how to fool Ebay. Buyers nowadays know how to get away with just about everything.
2. Have had Ebay tell me many times that the seller DOES NOT need to prove anything to get their money back.

I really don't think that lots of different photos with tape measures will help the seller, especially when the buyer has to pay for extra photos over a set number and the fees are not cheap.
Message 26 of 26
latest reply