cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention everybody who blocks international bidders in PayPal!!!

I block payments from international bidders in Paypal to avoid Chinese and other scammers because I don't ship abroad. Occasionally I unblock people if they seem trustworthy and politely ask me. As recently as last year I had no problems doing it. AND NOW THIS FUNCTION IS GONE from Paypal if you have Individual account!!  It was never announced in any PayPal policy updates (I read them.) To be able to do so, now you need to get a Business account. **bleep**???  I'm not a business and have no desire to be one.  I was so **bleep**!! How can they remove a feature from a paid service without notifying you - don't you have to agree and accept changes in Terms of Service to make the change valid??? I had an online chat with a representative, but got nowhere. I don't have time to talk to a supervisor, so I had to upgrade to Business account to get this feature back, pretending that I'm a business. Why would they promote this kind of stupidity???

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Attention everybody who blocks international bidders in PayPal!!!

Here is some added information posted by someone else on another thread.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-can-i-do-with-my-personal-paypal-account,-paypal-ca...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 43
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
I wonder if they've also taken away our access to financial statements etc.

There seems to be a lot of stuff missing now that I recall having in the Premier Account. Every time I ask a question of the PayPal CS people I get a different answer.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

Why don't you want a business account? Rate-wise there is no difference. The main difference is that you can't do certain things with a personal account, but there is no difference in the rates or other functions related to eBay.
Message 33 of 43
latest reply

The business account has the same fees but offers more services. I don’t understand why anyone would be opposed to using one.

btw it’s ADYEN. Since we are all going to be using it, we should know how to spell it.

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

The business account has the same fees but offers more services. I don’t understand why anyone would be opposed to using one.

btw it’s ADYEN. Since we are all going to be using it, we should know how to spell it.

When I looked into the business account when they first introduced it they wanted a business name, an EIN and a business bank account ... has that changed?

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

When I looked into the business account when they first introduced it they wanted a business name, an EIN and a business bank account ... has that changed?

Your business name can be your own name. You can use an EIN OR a SSN. I used my SSN since I don't have an EIN. I have a checking account that I use only for online business. It's not a "business" checking account, just a regular checking account through my credit union. That's the account I use.  The only thing that comes into it are online payments I receive, and they are moved to another account on a regular basis. I don't leave much money in it for obvious reasons.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 36 of 43
latest reply

I have a business account with my personal bank account and SSN. I’m not sure if it’s under my business name although I don’t think so.

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

Your business name can be your own name. You can use an EIN OR a SSN. I used my SSN since I don't have an EIN.

Thanks. They already have my SSN and have had it since 2001. What about the bank account? I actually use a Savings Account at a State Credit Union that has a LOT of restrictions on it.

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I've had a business account for years.  I do not have an EIN, I use my SSN as many sole proprietors do.  I also do not have a business bank account.

I think some just resist because they don't consider what they are selling online as constituting a business.  They don't seem to realize that there are NO personal transactions on this site.  They are all business transactions.

I also think that some resist because they think if they keep it as a personal account, they are not required or responsible to report their income from their sales here to IRS.  

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

I've had a business account for years.  I do not have an EIN, I use my SSN as many sole proprietors do.  I also do not have a business bank account.

I think some just resist because they don't consider what they are selling online as constituting a business.  They don't seem to realize that there are NO personal transactions on this site.  They are all business transactions.

I also think that some resist because they think if they keep it as a personal account, they are not required or responsible to report their income from their sales here to IRS.  

I've always turned all my sales records over to my CPA every year so that doesn't bother me. I'm only worried that they won't use the bank account I have attached to my current PayPal and then I'm stuck. I wonder if I hit Upgrade to Business and then can't fill in all the blanks will I be able to back out?

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

I've always turned all my sales records over to my CPA every year so that doesn't bother me. I'm only worried that they won't use the bank account I have attached to my current PayPal and then I'm stuck. I wonder if I hit Upgrade to Business and then can't fill in all the blanks will I be able to back out?

I've had a non business bank account attached to my PP account for many many years.  It has never been a problem nor have they ever accessed it without me actually initiating the transaction.  I regularly transfer money from PP into my personal account without issue.

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

I’ve had a business account since 2001, with a gap somewhere between 2014-2018 when I stopped selling, and I’ve never been asked to provide that.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

Same here

Message 43 of 43
latest reply