cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention everybody who blocks international bidders in PayPal!!!

I block payments from international bidders in Paypal to avoid Chinese and other scammers because I don't ship abroad. Occasionally I unblock people if they seem trustworthy and politely ask me. As recently as last year I had no problems doing it. AND NOW THIS FUNCTION IS GONE from Paypal if you have Individual account!!  It was never announced in any PayPal policy updates (I read them.) To be able to do so, now you need to get a Business account. **bleep**???  I'm not a business and have no desire to be one.  I was so **bleep**!! How can they remove a feature from a paid service without notifying you - don't you have to agree and accept changes in Terms of Service to make the change valid??? I had an online chat with a representative, but got nowhere. I don't have time to talk to a supervisor, so I had to upgrade to Business account to get this feature back, pretending that I'm a business. Why would they promote this kind of stupidity???

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Whether you like it or not - you ARE running a business.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 43
latest reply

That said, I am also po'd that they chose to downgrade my PP account to Personal with zero notification.
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Do you ever read the emails you get from Paypal? Like the one they just sent that stated the new updates to the user agreement and when the updates begin/began? And by what time you should close your account if you don't agree with the upcoming changes? Or do you just hit delete, spam, or skim? Try reading the next one.
Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Did you get an email saying Premier accounts would now be Personal accounts? Because I didn't.
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Nope I didn't. Point taken. My sincere apologies. Now I'm even more afraid of Ayden.
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

You aren’t supposed to be using a Personal account for business, so why would a feature of it be to block international PAYMENTS?

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl wrote:
Nope I didn't. Point taken. My sincere apologies. Now I'm even more afraid of Ayden.

Why?  Ayden is a completely separate company.  And sellers will have no dealings directly with Ayden, it will ONLY be with Ebay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 43
latest reply

When you are selling on Ebay, EVERY transaction is a business transaction.  There are NO personal transactions allowed on this site.  Like any business, our sales here should be claimed on our federal tax reports too.  Sad but very true.  And you do a nice little business here.

I'm personally like it that PP removed that option.  There were lots of sellers misusing that block in PP.

You do not have to ship to an international address if you don't want to.  You don't need the PP block to accomplish that.  Just make sure your listings are set up correctly and that you have your Buyer Requirements in your Site Preferences set up correctly.  There you can block International buyers that do NOT have US ship to addresses.

There is no problem to sell to an international buyer with a USA ship to address.  You do pay a little more in PP fees, but other than that, you are still shipping to a US address so it is just like any other US shipment you may have.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

You aren’t supposed to be using a Personal account for business, so why would a feature of it be to block international PAYMENTS?

I agree that is how it is suppose to work, yet people do.  And what I find interesting is that PP didn't inform people with Premier accounts that they were changing all of them to Personal accounts.  

That tells me that PP doesn't care if a personal account is used for business, because lots of Premier accounts were used for just that and PP knew it.  Yet they changed them all without notice to personal accounts.  It just doesn't make sense.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Everyone, or just certain Premier accounts?

We don’t know PP didn’t inform people; there are all sorts of reasons and settings that would make someone miss an email.

When I started selling again about 6 months ago, I realized my account had been dropped from a Business to Personal level. I had to re-up it.

Maybe lack of activity? 

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

PP no longer has premier accounts.

From what I've read, this has come as a surprise to quite a few members.  Nothing I've read has shown anyone got an email.  And I believe someone confirmed with PP that one was never sent, but I'm not sure.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Ah. In the cancelling of the Premier option, then, it makes sense to drop everyone into a basic account. That means users have to proactively opt in to a higher level.

Any chance the announcement was actually made a long time ago, and flew under folks’ radars?

I have to be honest, I think this one’s a bit tempest in a teapot as issues go.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl wrote:
Do you ever read the emails you get from Paypal? Like the one they just sent that stated the new updates to the user agreement and when the updates begin/began? And by what time you should close your account if you don't agree with the upcoming changes? Or do you just hit delete, spam, or skim? Try reading the next one.

Yes, I read ALL emails from Paypal - it was never mentioned there.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

When you are selling on Ebay, EVERY transaction is a business transaction.  There are NO personal transactions allowed on this site.  Like any business, our sales here should be claimed on our federal tax reports too.  Sad but very true.  And you do a nice little business here.

I'm personally like it that PP removed that option.  There were lots of sellers misusing that block in PP.

You do not have to ship to an international address if you don't want to.  You don't need the PP block to accomplish that.  Just make sure your listings are set up correctly and that you have your Buyer Requirements in your Site Preferences set up correctly.  There you can block International buyers that do NOT have US ship to addresses.

There is no problem to sell to an international buyer with a USA ship to address.  You do pay a little more in PP fees, but other than that, you are still shipping to a US address so it is just like any other US shipment you may have.

International bidders can still bid and pay unless you block them in Paypal. People complained that eBay blocks alone don't work without Paypal blocks. And I would not sell to a foreign bidder who is using a reshipper because of too much fraud from their part.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply