cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Army field manuals

I am trying to list an army field manual and keep getting a restricted item warning.  there are 500 field manuals on now so why would mine get bumped??

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Army field manuals

Probably along the lines of not using mustard gas.

Aren't Barrett and other sniper rifles 50 cal? Or is it only 50cal automatics that are prohibited?
Message 31 of 47
latest reply

Loud! I shot an M-16 without earplugs on the range one day and my ears rang for 3 days. That was 20 rounds. It hurt and probably was a part of the contributor to some of my hearing loss today.

Well, that and a lot of the Rock concerts that I've attended. (shoulder shrug)

Personally, as far as handguns go. I love the Rugger single action Super Blackhawk! Whether that be the 357 or 44 (10.5 inch barrel). You can drop a Deer, Elk or Moose with that, as long as your aim is on. Good food too!

For me, they're comfortable in my hand, well balanced, and most importantly, dead on accurate.

It's a lot easier than lugging a rifle, bow or shotgun with slugs around in the woods/forest.

Don't get me wrong, bow hunting is fun, but when you're older and looking to put meat in the freezer, well, do it the easier way.

P.S. I'm not saying that it has'nt happened, but I have yet to see a shotgun slug hunter put a deer down with one shot. They always have to walk up and shoot them again as they lay dying. That's just not right and slugs are not very accurate.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@berserkerplanet Wrote, "Aren't Barrett and other sniper rifles 50 cal? Or is it only 50cal automatics that are prohibited?"

Call the UN wink

There are several 50 cal producers out there. Even 50 cal handguns scream

I would'nt mind shooting a 50 cal handgun.... once! Just to see what kind of a kickback they have. But it's nothing that I would want to hang my hat on. There's no need to kill something (or someone) who catches the stray bullet after its already penetrated your intended target.... Unless of course a bunch of bad guys were storming you.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

Those shotgun slug hunters should be using a more humane single shot kill weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G2UuRP_d4U
Message 34 of 47
latest reply

I didn't watch your youtube link, But, personally, shotgun slugs should not be allowed. They're for those who have no confidence in their aim with what should be a piercing rifle or bow shot. (instant drop)

Many think that a slug in a shotgun is the same as a shotgun pattern (pellets). I can be close and still hit my target, BZZZZ WRONG!!!

Most game hunters (that I know anyway) look down on slug hunters.

A slug shot is just that, a mini cannonball hitting whatever. Like a punch in the side, or wherever. 

I also don't care for these big game shows where they have to track the blood trail of the animal that they just shot. If they had shot properly, there would'nt need to be a reason to track a blood trail.

I'm not trying to humanize animals, especially good food. But the hunter owns a certain responsibility to learn how to shoot and to be accurate with their chosen weapon. NOT to just buy a weapon and target practice on a live hunt.

That's why every year you always read about hunting accidents!!! Sad!

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

I've never shot a 50 cal, but I've watched them. They take out vehicles (and those inside.) Did you know that it's against the international rules of engagement to use a 50 cal on people?

Who makes these rules up anyway? Probably the do nothing UN would be my guess.

Sarcastic humor follows....... Oh, I'm sorry mister bad guy, but I'm not allowed to shoot you with my 50 cal, please feel free to spray your AK-47 in my direction. The UN says that's OK. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Interesting!  I never heard that.  Of course, I suppose my 81 mm mortar would probably be frowned upon as well.  Even though it is a single shot muzzle loader.

While I only got a chance to fly nighthawk mission, I thought the mini-gun was a nice weapon. 

Of course, the AK was a nice dependable piece.  I took a round from one off my flight helmet once.  Frankly, I wasn't fond of the M16.  Felt too much like a toy to me.  Now days I'll just stick to my Winchester Model 94 and my Mossberg 12 ga pump.  I like my Glock Model 27 too.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 36 of 47
latest reply

I believe that some states require shotguns with slugs for hunting larger game mainly for safety reasons more than anything else.  Of course, you want something big enough to bring down what you're hunting.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 37 of 47
latest reply

I like Mossberg. I had a 20 ga. in my younger years for hunting small game, Pheasant, Rabbit, squirrel. Now my body is to broken for me to be able to hike thru the woods and open fields. So now I just eat what others shoot. That's an easy hunt! Lol...........

Of course, if I get up early enough there are plenty of deer that like to graze on a green grassy knoll that runs along the farm field outside my front door. That would be an easy shot wink

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

I've never had to track a blood trail to find what I'm hunting.  But then I'll pass on a shot that is partially obstructed or if I'm not 100% sure about the terrain and possible access roads or trails behind the animal.

As for shooting a 50cal handgun, loud is right.  Kick depends on the gun.  There's a youtube video of a 90lb-when-dripping-wet girl shooting a 50 cal hand gun, looked very painful.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 39 of 47
latest reply

I just had THE ARMY COOK blocked on eBay, even though there are other copies for sale right now. It is TM1-405 from 1946. I think it was blocked because the book has the top secret recipe for "**bleep** on a shingle."

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

It is not US Government Property, it may have been purchased with US Taxpayer funds when originally printed, but it is an obsolete weapons system, given free to many Allies, so I see no issue as to why 'information' would be restricted in any manner.

It certainly doesn't help the enemies of the US, as this MG has been captured by them in multiple wars, and no intelligence is to be gained from this manual.

Comments like this poster make are ill informed and pointless dribble.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Maybe not outdated for 2001, but have you seen one in service since then?
It's a 60 year old design, copied from a German MG, maybe we should have rounded up all the WWII MG manuals the Germans had as well as the M60 manuals then we could hide under a rock.

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

Just 100% on a rant and wrong about everything you just wrote. It's a shame to see someone with ZERO knowledge tell others what the rules are.

If your "SO" correct, why does the U.S. Government Library of Congress offer free copies of Technical and Field manuals?
Message 43 of 47
latest reply

It's called Antigun support within the leadership...not too hard to figure out.
Message 44 of 47
latest reply

Go ahead, dribble on....
Message 45 of 47
latest reply