cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

I ran into an issue, which I believe Ebay is well aware of.

I had a buyer open a case with their financial institution.

A relatively expensive professionally graded item.

The buyer did not follow any of Ebay policy.

Did not open an Ebay Return.

Filed with FI on the 48th day of receiving the item.

The buyer opened a dispute with financial institution and of course sided with its client.

Ebay had my funds frozen. Then released funds to (FI).

And did NOT protect me as a seller. 

And did not get my item back.

So if this has happened to you.

I would like to hear about it.

If there is a class action suit going.

I would like to be included.

Ebay knows this is happening. And is allowing this.

I have taken down any super big ticket items due to lack of safety.

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

We had the same thing happen to us a few weeks ago. They buy stuff from you then list it on another site and have a return request open at the same time just in case they cant dump it fast and if they dump it on there they might return nothing to you.

Message 106 of 167
latest reply

I would screenshot that listing and send a message to the buyer like we did catching them in this and then see what they do. Ours dropped the listing immediately and did return our item but we made sure ebay had the screenshots of the authentic ring that they made false claim on. Terrible terrible stuff.

Message 107 of 167
latest reply

Yeah I am routing for the OP to get this customer to small claims court as well. It’s an action that might curtail like you said the YouTube watchers and the would be criminals on here HEADING FOR full criminal status.

Message 108 of 167
latest reply

@fischstik ,

Chargebacks are governed by the following Federal Regulation. The laws regarding chargebacks are in favor of the consumer not the seller. Always has been that way. Unfortunately, some savvy buyers have figured a ways to take advantage of the regulations. 

Since I have switched to free 30 day returns I have had zero chargeback loses. 

The Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA)

Passed in 1974, the FCBA addressed concerns about credit card theft and fraud. It mandated the creation of the chargeback process, limiting customer liability in fraud cases and allowing cardholders to dispute deceptive merchant practices.

Message 109 of 167
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@fischstik ,

Chargebacks are governed by the following Federal Regulation. The laws regarding chargebacks are in favor of the consumer not the seller. Always has been that way. Unfortunately, some savvy buyers have figured a ways to take advantage of the regulations. 

Passed in 1974, the FCBA addressed concerns about credit card theft and fraud. It mandated the creation of the chargeback process, limiting customer liability in fraud cases and allowing cardholders to dispute deceptive merchant practices.

Yep, you give extended periods for returns and you offer free returns ya just might cut down on the chargebacks. It is a documented fact with all the Chargeback helping companies like Chargebacks 101.

Message 110 of 167
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Seller refuses to refund customer in the first place creates a ripe environment to run to the card.

It can if the buyer used a credit card or debit card to pay with.  Not all buyers do as there are other forms of payment accepted.  However it is likely that most use a card.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 111 of 167
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Seller does not describe item properly and has poor photo’s and does not use enough item specifics, all grounds for a possible chargeback instead of going through the proper channels to receive a refund through the merchant. They can always choose to run to the card instead of go to the merchant and your chances of getting a chargeback verified through research says exactly that. You must do everything you can to avoid  the chargeback and sometimes NOTHING you do will change that if you are dealing with an unsavory customer.

I'm unsure of your response above.  I said nothing about the quality of the OPs descriptions and/or listings.  Nor did I say that a buyer hasn't any right to open a Chargeback instead of filing a claim through Ebay.  

The post you are replying to of mine said none of this.

Message 112 of 167
latest reply

@jou8671 wrote:

I previously wrote about a customer who made a fraudulent claim regarding a $10,000 ring that we had just sold them. We see that the same buyer, who has an open return request for the item, is also utilizing our eBay images to list the item for sale on Mercari. I falter.

If the buyer filed a Request for return and didn't return it, then you aren't out any money because you didn't have to refund the buyer.  The buyer is free to resell the item if they want to.  It is certainly annoying that they are using your pics, but I'd be happy I didn't lose my $10,000.

Message 113 of 167
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@fischstik ,

Yep, you give extended periods for returns and you offer free returns ya just might cut down on the chargebacks. It is a documented fact with all the Chargeback helping companies like Chargebacks 101.

The length of time that a buyer has to file a Chargeback is controlled by the individual credit cards.  My Visa card allows up to 90 days to file a dispute.  Other cards allow 60 days, some allow 120 days.  I suppose there are some out their with longer timeframes, but I'm not sure which ones.  Clearly there are some as Ebay and PP give buyers up to 180 days to file, but it is likely that most CCs simply don't allow that much time.

Message 114 of 167
latest reply

@mam98031 ,

My business and personal Amex cards are 180 days.

Message 115 of 167
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@mam98031 ,

My business and personal Amex cards are 180 days.

That doesn't surprise me about AMEX as it is one of the, if not the most expensive cards for merchants to process.  

Message 116 of 167
latest reply

@mam98031 ,

They have the best rewards in my opinion if you know how to use them to get the most value out of them. My Amex platinum business card was giving me 4 points for every dollar I spent on shipping each month for 3 years until they reduced it to 1.5 points per dollar this year. 

I switched to the Amex gold business card for 2 times points on shipping. 

Message 117 of 167
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@mam98031 ,

They have the best rewards in my opinion if you know how to use them to get the most value out of them. My Amex platinum business card was giving me 4 points for every dollar I spent on shipping each month for 3 years until they reduced it to 1.5 points per dollar this year. 

I switched to the Amex gold business card for 2 times points on shipping. 

I didn't say it was a bad card, just the most expensive for merchants.  And yes they can offer those perks to card holders in part because of how much they charge Merchants.

Message 118 of 167
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Paypal was merchant of record  with credit card company's & banks   ,just  as eBay is now the merchant of record   for  charge back disputes  and  snads  .  There is no requirement  for any buyers  to   Ebay Protection policy  .      

PayPal or Adyen is the merchant of record @carlmarxx -- they process the buyer's credit card.

sdneped_1-1711336116245.jpeg

eBay just has

- a PayPal account

- and an Adyen account

from which eBay withdraws buyers' payments less commissions, and issues refunds to the buyers.

When the buyer files a credit card chargeback

- PayPal or Adyen then have to answer to that chargeback

- and the eBay account at PayPal or Adyen is debited for that amount.

Message 119 of 167
latest reply

Wait a second unless I'm missing a post you never said what the dispute with the FI was for.  Was it an item not recieved claim?  Or item not as described claim?  Or not my purchase?

If "not recieved - not my purchase" claim with FI you may just want to add signature required on big ticket items.  

Not as described idk how to fight that with the CC company especially when we can't talk with them.

Message 120 of 167
latest reply