cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

I ran into an issue, which I believe Ebay is well aware of.

I had a buyer open a case with their financial institution.

A relatively expensive professionally graded item.

The buyer did not follow any of Ebay policy.

Did not open an Ebay Return.

Filed with FI on the 48th day of receiving the item.

The buyer opened a dispute with financial institution and of course sided with its client.

Ebay had my funds frozen. Then released funds to (FI).

And did NOT protect me as a seller. 

And did not get my item back.

So if this has happened to you.

I would like to hear about it.

If there is a class action suit going.

I would like to be included.

Ebay knows this is happening. And is allowing this.

I have taken down any super big ticket items due to lack of safety.

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Re: Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

Police report with locals PD filed. 
have my pd in touch w out of state PD. 

civil case filed !!!

and I won’t mind doing a civil in their state. either. If need be. 

Message 31 of 167
latest reply

Re: Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

Good for you!!!!

Message 32 of 167
latest reply

After reading problems like this, I am so glad I no longer sell here. I've found better ways to sell my items where I don't have to deal with this nonsense. I really hope you get some justice. 

Message 33 of 167
latest reply

People who sell EXPENSIVE and ultra EXPENSIVE ESPECIALLY ONLINE have a business plan to recoup money from these criminals through high volume sales. They cut their losses and Deduct from their taxes at the end of the year.

Message 34 of 167
latest reply

I believe you. Don’t fret. Had this happen to me as well.

Message 35 of 167
latest reply

You vs criminal is going to get you a better result. I am happy you are taking some action.

Message 36 of 167
latest reply

Unfortunately with the way credit card laws are for the consumer it is a risky business to sell online with ultra expensive goods. Yes, mankind needs a good house cleaning.

Message 37 of 167
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Violating policy in order to allege that buyers are violating policy?

Wow... just... w...o...w

Its called RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION

Message 38 of 167
latest reply

You missed the multiple threads posted this morning. Lucky’s comment wasn’t about the content of the post but the spamming of the board.

Message 39 of 167
latest reply

It seems that nobody here understands 'taking credit cards' and 'chargebacks'. 

Chargebacks have been available to ANYONE that uses their credit card, even in a Brick & Mortar Store, since as EARLY as 1990 when I was in Retail (and probably WAY before). 

Back then (and now) ANY entity accepting credit cards AGREE to 

a.) Chargebacks from THEIR customers

b.) The FI DECIDES that overall outcome

c.) NOTHING the 'taker of the credit card' can do about it. 

No matter WHERE you take a credit card, B/M Store in Person, Swap Meet in Person, Garage Sale in Person or ANY internet 3rd Party selling site....you have NO control and NEITHER does the selling entity.

Kinda of like trying to 'sue' the Newspaper that you advertise your 'business' or 'car' or '?? doesn't matter' and the 'buyer' uses a credit card and goes back to them. 

If bank finds in their customers favor- that's it. 

Message 40 of 167
latest reply

My money is on the OP prevailing.......

Most keyboard warriors and friendly fraudsters buckle when they see their first summons......

(not the pros, but the YouTube watchers)

...even though a non-swiped transaction is a lot easier than a swiped to CB

I have a few war stories from the past that might amuse you from my own website ventures....

Message 41 of 167
latest reply

I've had this happen 4 times over $700 out the fundws and the item   I would also like to start a class action lawsuit

Message 42 of 167
latest reply

@rollcellar wrote:

I've had this happen 4 times over $700 out the fundws and the item   I would also like to start a class action lawsuit

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I have to ask the obvious question...

Why do you keep selling here?

I mean seems it just keeps getting worse, right?

Message 43 of 167
latest reply

@fischstik 

I'm so sorry this happened to you.  This process is called a Chargeback and far too often it is the seller that comes out on the losing end of these things.  And as hard as it may be to believe, it isn't Ebay's fault either.  It is the freedom that Credit Card companies have when processing a Chargeback by their customers.  IMHO CCC have far too much freedom, but nothing seems to be getting done about fixing this problem.

How money did you lose?  Here are some options you can do.

If you used USPS to ship the item to the buyer, file a claim with USPS for fraud.  The buyer used USPS to commit a fraud on you and that is a Federal Offense.

File a Police Report for theft in the jurisdiction the buyer lives in.  You likely can do that online.  Make sure you get the Police Report Number.

Then you might look into doing a Small Claims Court lawsuit.  Lots of them are still offering to do these cases via Zoom or something similar, and that makes things so much easier for sellers like us.  FYI, it is highly likely you would win this case as the buyer is unduly enriched by being able to keep the product and your money.  It should be one or the other, not both.

You don't need a "class action" lawsuit that will take years to come to some kind of conclusion.  Besides it is highly unlikely that any kind of case could be won against Ebay on this.  All the other money processors are in the same situation with Chargebacks.  PayPal, Amazon, and all the rest.  CCCs just have way too much freedom to come to conclusions on these claims that only benefit their customers and them.

You don't need to be reposting this everywhere.  While it is an important situation, it is not a new one.  This has been happening for years.  And it will not change until the laws change that control how CCCs can handle these things.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 44 of 167
latest reply

Some folks do not understand that it is the Laws governing chargebacks that are the problem. Certainly ebay cannot stand this problem either.  Nor any merchants here or anywhere else on the planet no matter where they sell.

Message 45 of 167
latest reply