cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are abbreviations no longer interchangable for the complete words in search?

I've always found (until this morning) that using "Vtg" instead of "Vintage" brought up the same listings.  I can't seem to get this to work now.  Using one brings up 12 results and using the other brings up almost fifty and the two results are completely different items too.  That's a problem for most of my listings if this has recently changed.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I have been asking the same question lately, but I think it will be advisable to put "vintage" because, naturally, the buyer uses the whole word instead of the abbreviation.

If that makes sense.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I just thought it would be fun to think of as many as i can.....

NIB

NWT

NWOT

I didn't get that far!   LOL

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Vtg Pyrex     39,692

Vintage Pyrex  40,842

I also see a different presentation on Vintage, a scroll  presented up top, as well as color choices......

Screenshot (152).png

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I did a search for a vintage widget just now:

• 3,802 for vintage sorted Best Match - results defaulted to collectibles category
  • 4,258 for vintage sorted price/shipping highest first - results included all categories
  • 3,817 for vintage sorted price/shipping lowest first with a note that some search results were removed to show the most relevant items - results included all categories
  • 2,503 for "vintage" in quotes sorted best match

• 3,347 for vtg sorted Best Match - results defaulted to collectibles category
  • 3,815 for vtg sorted price/shipping highest first - results included all categories
  • 2,270 for vtg sorted price/shipping lowest first with a note that some search results were removed to show the most relevant items - results included all categories
  • 352 for "vtg" in quotes sorted best match - results included all categories

With the vintage search, items with vtg in the title did pull up. I didn't drill down to the listing level to check item specs, but that could have been a factor. If your category has a vintage item specific then fill it out - that should get your listing pulled up even with a vtg abbreviation in the title.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply