cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Sellers In Mismanaged Payments Leaving Immediate Feedback For Buyers Who Pay Quickly?

For sellers who used to leave positive feedback right after buyers have paid you, but before being forced into mismanaged payments (MMP), are you still leaving feedback for buyers right after payment, but also while your money is still being withheld by MMP?

It would be interesting to see the stats on this question.

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Are Sellers In Mismanaged Payments Leaving Immediate Feedback For Buyers Who Pay Quickly?

Regarding feedback, I see no reason to change the way I leave it because of which payment processor the payment is processed by.  

I guess I just don't get your point. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 109
latest reply

That's ok.  If you don't get my point, then I will wait for others who do get my point.

Message 3 of 109
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

. . . are you still leaving feedback for buyers right after payment, but also while your money is still being withheld by MMP?

@carbonart0 

Now, why would the Managed Payments program taking time to credit your account (or, as you put it "while your money is still being withheld"), have anything to do with when you leave feedback for a buyer? Buyers have nothing to do with the Managed Payments program. They have no say over when funds are released to your account. Why in the world would you link receiving funds from the Managed Payments program to when you leave feedback for a buyer?

Message 4 of 109
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

I guess I just don't get your point. 

@myboardid 

Oh, I think you do . . .  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 109
latest reply

From the sellers' prospective, it doesn't matter much (I guess I have to spell it out for some), why the money has not been transferred to their account(s).  It's either there or it's no there.  With Pay Pal (in my experience and at least until recently) the money was there instantly.  It was also (if I chose) transferred directly to my checking account and always within a day.

Now, there's a good chance that the money paid by the buyer will be withheld for several days - and sometimes weeks...and the seller is expected to ship within a specified time period regardless.  This would naturally make intelligent sellers think very carefully before issuing feedback for an otherwise timely payment from their buyer.

And with the rise in scam buyers given Ebay's bonehead polices which serve to enable scam buyers who steal from sellers and file fraudulent INAD claims, it makes me wonder quite frankly, how honest contributors to this forum can sit there with a straight face as they inquire as to the point of this thread topic.

Message 6 of 109
latest reply

I think you pointed out a key point for why you may not get too many comments on your original question and rather a discussion about understanding the question.  You mentioned something about 'intelligent sellers'.  While there are many (or, at least, were) intelligent sellers, there are now a great many that just want to get a paycheck.   And, there isn't nearly a majority of sellers in the ebay program, yet.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 109
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

it makes me wonder quite frankly, how honest contributors to this forum can sit there with a straight face as they inquire as to the point of this thread topic.

If a seller normally leaves feedback for a buyer immediately under the old system, I fail to see why eBay's managed payment process would change that. So either I must be a "dishonest" contributor to this forum, or I don't get your point either. 

Are you suggesting that the delay introduced by managed payments somehow enables more fraud? 

Or are you suggesting that sellers should be withholding feedback from buyers as some sort of a "protest" against the delays in managed payments?  

If it is neither of these, could you please just come out and state exactly why you think sellers who reward buyers for prompt PayPal payment with feedback would be reluctant to do so under managed payments? 

Message 8 of 109
latest reply

Intelligent sellers probably wonder why some posters are always negative about everything.

Message 9 of 109
latest reply

@luckythewinner  wrote:

"If it is neither of these, could you please just come out and state exactly why you think sellers who reward buyers for prompt PayPal payment with feedback would be reluctant to do so under managed payments? "

It is neither of these and I just came out and stated exactly why (in addition to other reasons) "intelligent" sellers are going to be reluctant to leave immediate feedback for sellers who pay promptly. 

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush?  It's sort of like that anyway...  The money hasn't been paid until it's been "released"...

Message 10 of 109
latest reply

Intelligent sellers realize that intelligent posters are negative about a lot of things (not everything) because a lot of things are negative.  I like to call it recognizing the reality of the situation....

Message 11 of 109
latest reply

Now, there's a good chance that the money paid by the buyer will be withheld for several days - and sometimes weeks...and the seller is expected to ship within a specified time period regardless. This would naturally make intelligent sellers think very carefully before issuing feedback for an otherwise timely payment from their buyer.

So what good would it do to hold feedback because of what ebay does?  Besides which both paypal and ebay hold money now on some transactions......so this isn't an entirely new situation.  Also, since Amazon only pays a seller 2x a month, as I understand it.....your "outrage" seems more than a bit misplaced...........

Message 12 of 109
latest reply

Withholding feedback is one of very few defense options that sellers have now.  The money (even if paid promptly by the buyer) is not immediately in the sellers' hands - it's being withheld by mismanaged payments.  

And pay pal never withheld my money - not once in 15 years of using pay pal for selling (and buying) on Ebay.  Only now - after mismanaged payments came out - is pay pal now following suit if you will, with mismanaged payments...holding funds, and causing problems for Ebay sellers who have not switched over to mismanaged payments.

What good does withholding feedback do?  Not much, but it's one of few things sellers can do.  Why would a seller leave immediate feedback for a buyer (for prompt payment) if the seller still hasn't received the payment? 

Maybe mismanaged payments should start their own feedback system so they can leave positive feedback for the sellers' buyers?  THANKS FOR PAYING QUICKLY BUYER!  WE WILL NOW WITHHOLD YOUR MONEY AND TRY TO GET THE SELLER TO SHIP YOUR ITEM BEFORE THEY EVEN GET THE MONEY YOU PAID AND THAT WE'RE HOLDING BACK.  

Message 13 of 109
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush?  It's sort of like that anyway...  The money hasn't been paid until it's been "released"...

@carbonart0 

No, it's nothing like that, actually. Might wanna look up what that saying means.

Buyer pays. Managed Payments releases funds. One has nothing to do with the other. If you want to hold off leaving Managed Payments a feedback comment until they release your funds, that might make some sense. 

If you're worried about leaving feedback for someone who turns out to be a scammer, when do you leave feedback for a buyer? The buyer has 30 days to exercise eBay's MBG. Do you wait 30 days? The buyer has 180 days to take advantage of PayPal's buyer protection. Do you wait 180 days? No--your maximum window of opportunity to leave feedback is 60 days. So what happens if you wait 'til the last moment to post feedback, and some big ol' scammer files for a return in PayPal the next day? Some credit cards allow buyers to file an claim for a refund for a year.

Frankly, I don't think all that many eBay buyers care one little bit about receiving feedback at all, much less whether they receive it within a given time frame. You're certainly not "punishing" them based on when--or even if--you leave feedback, and eBay and/or the Managed Payments program couldn't care less when or whether you leave feedback, so your cunning plan doesn't really seem to be very effective.

I think your concern is disingenuous and withholding a buyer's feedback as a protest against Managed Payments is misplaced. 

Message 14 of 109
latest reply

Why would a seller leave immediate feedback for a buyer (for prompt payment) if the seller still hasn't received the payment?

Why?

Because it's certainly not the Buyer's fault that ebay is doing whatever.......

Message 15 of 109
latest reply