cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else experiencing a huge drop off in sales and views?

Anyone else having this problem? My sales completely died at the end of the weekend and haven’t picked up at all. My views are much lower and I’m getting no response on my offers which is unusual anyone know what’s up? 

Message 1 of 148
latest reply
147 REPLIES 147

Re: Anyone else experiencing a huge drop off in sales and views?

yeah they did, but a lot of them are just keeping up with appearances to save face. its called high gas prices and more expensive grocery bills. luxury items are the first to go. it costs me 85 dollars to fill up one of my vehicles and 52 to fill up the other. my money isnt going towards buying anything on ebay. if i can make a suggestion, that might boost some sales, i would suggest calculating how much you could lower your prices and still make a little money. some money, is better than no money. a lot of greedy sellers dont get that concept, they think they are going to ride it out and weather the storm. but come summer, they are going to hope they can just get their money back on their items they have for sale. Then youll start to see stuff go cheaper for a loss, because they just flat out need the money.

the buyers just flat out dont have the money, and what money they got they need to put back for gas and groceries.

Message 16 of 148
latest reply

@domin-tomas wrote:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. When your selling on other platforms and not on this platform there is something wrong here. I keep ending listings on ebay because I sell out on the other smaller platforms.

It is fine to disagree.  It is my experience in the over 20 years I've been selling on this site that it fluctuations throughout the year.  If your sales are constant and steady, that is fantastic.  There are many that do not experiencing that.

As to comparing sales here to other sites.  IDK, I sell on multiple sites.  Some of the things I sell here on Ebay does not sell well on other sites.  Some of the stuff I sell on other sites simply don't sell well on Ebay.  I have no idea why.  It isn't pricing.  But the combination works fine for me, so no complaints.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 148
latest reply

Why do posters keep others "greedy".  It is simply ridiculous.  WE ARE ALL HERE TO MAKE A PROFIT.  Both Sellers and Ebay.  It is simply why we are here.  It is simply why Ebay exists.

Message 18 of 148
latest reply

Had that happen also but picked up again today...on Amazon no sales for almost 10 days!!!  so it's not just Ebay...think people are doing taxes and freaked out about the world in general...

Message 19 of 148
latest reply

Items I listed this week got 5-7 views . That is not normal for my category and items

Message 20 of 148
latest reply

I think there is something surely wrong in the ebay as I am seeing drop in views and sales since Jan.  I have promotion on all listings.

In Feb there was few sales and in March it is almost none inspite of using Promoted listings on all listings. Last year all seems to be fine and had everyday 4 to 5 days sales and now it seems just 4-5 in a month. 

I deal mostly in Collectibles

Message 21 of 148
latest reply

Two weeks ago it was terrible . Now its better but i see a huge decline in impressions 35% - 40% drop . I searched some of my items and they are well placed so its not Ebay. People are simply more interested now in going out than spending online. 

Message 22 of 148
latest reply

Yep. Now that eBay has decided to focus on sneakers, Rolexes, and Magic The Gathering cards to the exclusion of all else, you can expect this to continue.

Message 23 of 148
latest reply

Gas prices are up. 

Sadly, People are panicking and not spending for unnecessary items. 

Message 24 of 148
latest reply

I am stunned..Nothing !!!! went from about 2 to 5 sales a day to nothing in days..what is up..this is very bad

Message 25 of 148
latest reply

Some things I've learned over the years.

Google search [which brings a lot of buyers to the site] doesn't really like titles with all caps.  My rule of thumb is no more than 3 words in all caps in any title.

The space we have for titles is a high value place, don't repeat words.  Also the Google search doesn't like it either.

Don't type descriptions in all caps.  It is hard for many to read all caps and it is important to note that all caps in the written form denotes yelling.  So keep the font size a reasonable size, not to small and not too big, a dark color [never yellow as it doesn't translate well on some screens].  Limit using red in your description as it is not a welcoming color.  Use something pleasing to the eye, black, dark blue, dark purple, something like that.

Check for typos.  Buyers like to know you spend the time to make an accurate description.  Checking for typos is part of that.  Use paragraphs with a space between paragraphs.  Don't do a wall of text, that too is hard to read.

Complete and detailed descriptions with sizes if appropriate and measurements too.  Things with sizes can differ in measurements because of the year manufactured and/or the designer.  So best to do both.

List stuff you think will sell and you can make a little money on.  Selling stuff at a loss isn't always a good idea.  Pretty much anything you sell for about $5 or less with free shipping, if you use shipping with tracking, you will likely lose money or even pay the buyer to buy from you.  For example FVF on $5 = 65 cents + 30 cent transaction fee = 95 cents + shipping FC $3.89 = 4.84  That leaves the seller 16 cents.

No need to put Free Shipping in the description of your listing.  It is noted above and on the shipping page.  But if you do this and you at some point decide to change your policy, then you have to go back and correct all your listings one by one.  It simply isn't necessary to have it in your description.

Pictures, good, clear pictures.  At least 800 pixels on the longest side so that when you upload them to your listing your buyers will be able to zoom your pics.  Lots of pics from all directions and areas.  Especially if there is a flaw, make sure you get that in your pics.  Or if there is a serial number, make sure you get a clear pic of that as well as putting the serial number in your ISBs [item specific boxes].

Lots of other thing can be said about a good listing.  But this is just a few things that can help.

Message 26 of 148
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Some things I've learned over the years.

Google search [which brings a lot of buyers to the site] doesn't really like titles with all caps.  My rule of thumb is no more than 3 words in all caps in any title.

The space we have for titles is a high value place, don't repeat words.  Also the Google search doesn't like it either.

Don't type descriptions in all caps.  It is hard for many to read all caps and it is important to note that all caps in the written form denotes yelling.  So keep the font size a reasonable size, not to small and not too big, a dark color [never yellow as it doesn't translate well on some screens].  Limit using red in your description as it is not a welcoming color.  Use something pleasing to the eye, black, dark blue, dark purple, something like that.

Check for typos.  Buyers like to know you spend the time to make an accurate description.  Checking for typos is part of that.  Use paragraphs with a space between paragraphs.  Don't do a wall of text, that too is hard to read.

Complete and detailed descriptions with sizes if appropriate and measurements too.  Things with sizes can differ in measurements because of the year manufactured and/or the designer.  So best to do both.

List stuff you think will sell and you can make a little money on.  Selling stuff at a loss isn't always a good idea.  Pretty much anything you sell for about $5 or less with free shipping, if you use shipping with tracking, you will likely lose money or even pay the buyer to buy from you.  For example FVF on $5 = 65 cents + 30 cent transaction fee = 95 cents + shipping FC $3.89 = 4.84  That leaves the seller 16 cents.

No need to put Free Shipping in the description of your listing.  It is noted above and on the shipping page.  But if you do this and you at some point decide to change your policy, then you have to go back and correct all your listings one by one.  It simply isn't necessary to have it in your description.

Pictures, good, clear pictures.  At least 800 pixels on the longest side so that when you upload them to your listing your buyers will be able to zoom your pics.  Lots of pics from all directions and areas.  Especially if there is a flaw, make sure you get that in your pics.  Or if there is a serial number, make sure you get a clear pic of that as well as putting the serial number in your ISBs [item specific boxes].

Lots of other thing can be said about a good listing.  But this is just a few things that can help.

Great ideas/suggestions!!

Only thing I would add is to avoid the add-ons as a new seller - bold, etc.  Just pass on that stuff.  And review sold(s) to get an idea of pricing.  I am never the highest or the lowest - middle of the pack somewhere.  

Lastly, shipping is where many new Sellers struggle - if you have q's, ask on the Shipping board.  Excellent resources there!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 27 of 148
latest reply

Only this year and here..

Message 28 of 148
latest reply

@anjofak wrote:

Only this year and here..

You don't have enough history on this selling account to make these kinds of judgement.  Your account isn't even a year old yet.  And in looking at your items sold, you appear to be doing fine.  Certainly we all look for ways to increase sales, but for your account there appears to be no slow down going on at this time.  

And selling under this account for less than a year can't give you a year over year experience.

I sell on multiple sites.  I do sell more on certain things on other sites than I do here, but then there are things I sell here and not on other sites.  It is a mixed experience.

Message 29 of 148
latest reply

I'm enjoying my 48 hour blackout period. Once again I could list gold bricks during these periods and they wouldn't sell.

Message 30 of 148
latest reply