cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any other sellers seeing a SPIKE in Cancellation Requests IMMEDIATELY AFTER a Purchase is made?

So like the title above says, is anyone else seeing a SPIKE in Cancellation Requests IMMEDIATELY AFTER a Purchase is made?  I've seen a MASSIVE spike in this kind of activity over the last 2 months. This is very aggrevating as most long term sellers here know that once this hapens , even if you had 10 watchers before on the item, when you relist it NO ONE seems to trust you and will not make a purchase unless you drastically slice the price.  This is just one more sad example of bad buyer activity that just makes we want to say #@%#   %^&   %#&#^   $%^#

But back to my main question, are any other sellers noticing a drastic rise in this type of "buyer" behavior?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Any other sellers seeing a SPIKE in Cancellation Requests IMMEDIATELY AFTER a Purchase is made?

I had about two in a row yesterday and it seemed rather strange.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your reply! That is exactly what happened to me as well. I had 1 two days ago and 2 today and each  had 15 watchers combined on them as well. I'm seriously TICKED OFF right now as in addition to this **bleep** my sales have inexplicably gone down the toilet here in Oct as well . Last Oct was my 2nd best month of the year.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Hi, it is the new eBay. Had one in June. Paid. I had not shipped out yet TG. Got cancellation notice to either approve and refund if I had not shipped (which I did), or not approve if I had already shipped. Got my FVFs back, BUT I still had to pay PP the 30 cents for not my problem. Did the buyer(s) pay then you got the cancellation?

Ebay is showing buyers cheaper items once a buyer has paid you. Rather than showing cheaper before they pay. IMO. That was my experience.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Sorry, I meant to say I had NOT shipped. But had to go through the refund process and hoped I could relist the item post haste. Had to wait for the buyer to approve. 

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I've only had one cancellation so far this year. Relisted the item & it sold the next day. Raising the price makes little difference.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

This is because once a buyer pays Ebay immediately shows them the item for sale with a cheaper price or similar ones. Ebay just keeps stabbing the little sellers in the back and then when a buyer complains it is ALWAYS the seller's fault. I can't wait until a better selling venue opens up. Really think that once Ebay takes all the payments away from Paypal some action will occur.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@z240dude

Have you looked at your listings on a smartphone?

There is a lot of detailed info in your description. I suspect that a buyer looking at the picture and the title might buy, then realize the Thing is not actually going to work for him.

Could I suggest that as well as Fixed Price, you use Immediate Payment Required? Then if the buyer doesn't pay, the Thing remains active until someone does.

However, you may find those cancellations before payment then become more complicated refund requests.  So think about it.

Over 50% of transactions are now from mobiles. And that is not going to decrease.

even if you had 10 watchers

Meh.

If it's Fixed Price and they want it, they don't Watch it, they buy it.

Those Watchers are just comparing prices.

If you're really convinced one of them will buy, switch up the pictures so it looks a little different. Smoke and mirrors.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

Thanks, Femm. But I have immediate payment on all of mine. They paid, then within that 1 hour window, cancelled. So I had to go through the motions to refund, wait for the approval by the buyer (got an email back from ebay you are all done), then felt safe to relist. And paid that 30 cents to PP. Out of my pocket. And of course, had to use my free (although I have a store) listing to again get it relisted. 

I asked on a chat what happens if for some reason I checked "already shipped, deny cancellation, knowing I would probably face a SNAD so buyer gets return shipping). Blue said I would have to work that out with the buyer. ????

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

I had one yesterday. 

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@z240dude

Have you looked at your listings on a smartphone?

There is a lot of detailed info in your description. I suspect that a buyer looking at the picture and the title might buy, then realize the Thing is not actually going to work for him.

Could I suggest that as well as Fixed Price, you use Immediate Payment Required? Then if the buyer doesn't pay, the Thing remains active until someone does.

However, you may find those cancellations before payment then become more complicated refund requests.  So think about it.

Over 50% of transactions are now from mobiles. And that is not going to decrease.

even if you had 10 watchers

Meh.

If it's Fixed Price and they want it, they don't Watch it, they buy it.

Those Watchers are just comparing prices.

If you're really convinced one of them will buy, switch up the pictures so it looks a little different. Smoke and mirrors. 

I already do the things that you suggested.  My listings look great on my smart phone 

And you are wrong about Watchers don't buy Fixed listings. Everytime I get up to 6 watchers I cut the price 5% and 9 times outof 10 it sells within 2 days.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

Thanks, Femm. But I have immediate payment on all of mine. They paid, then within that 1 hour window, cancelled. So I had to go through the motions to refund, wait for the approval by the buyer (got an email back from ebay you are all done), then felt safe to relist. And paid that 30 cents to PP. Out of my pocket. And of course, had to use my free (although I have a store) listing to again get it relisted. 

I asked on a chat what happens if for some reason I checked "already shipped, deny cancellation, knowing I would probably face a SNAD so buyer gets return shipping). Blue said I would have to work that out with the buyer. ????

Yup I am going back to ONE DAY shipping instead of SAME DAY because of exactly what you say here.  If I ship it same day then they come back 3 hours later and want to cancel it  and I KNOW the buyer will lie and say damaged when received so they can get a free return because it has happened to me  before.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

I've been seeing threads and posts about this.  Many say it is because Ebay shows them cheaper listings after they purchase yours, and that the buyer then bails on you.

Sorry you have seen such a dramatic increase in this activity, though.  

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Piles of them.

More in the last few months than I have had in 20 years.

Almost all of them are best offer, which I accept and not 20 seconds later a cancel request comes in.

All from low feedback noobs, so I usually try to stick them with an UPI...jerks.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

yes i have also from near 0 a month to 1-2 a month non-payers that convert to cancellations it is quite a spike considering # of sales are also down,.watchers are a sales driver that they have changed to only show 5 or more to the buyer unless it is a multiple item listings however they email the watchers when you relist example:"an item you have been watching has been relisted" so interested buyers may get a nudge to buy,if they are are GTC they are gradually loosing visibility anyway for buyers that search newly listed and ending soonest,i made several posts on watchers in tech discussions (not selling) and changes or tech problems made in last 6 months under tag sneaky change,most of these changes can be made the best of and some of the most devastating have been walked back
much of the down turn now (my opinion) is a result of these they seem to be making more legitimate changes recently that should help our sales and am hopeful and slightly optimistic believe it or not for upcoming months.
Message 15 of 40
latest reply