cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of me winning this dispute?

Buyer buys an item, (on my wife's eBay ID, not this one) a larger item, shipped across country, about $60 shipping cost, brand new sealed in factory box. Buyer then opens a case, wants to return it, because "Just Didn't like it"-

In my wife's return policy, it just says this, very simply: "Returns are accepted if item is not as described".

So, we don't accept this return.

I called eBay to see what their official position would be, if I told the buyer that I don't accept, and when I called the first time, I called using my phone on my eBay ID, and the eBay rep, (who spoke perfect english giving me the impression that I was speaking to a call center in the United States), said that generaly, based on what I told her about the return policy and the buyer's admission that they just didn't like it, that the buyer did not have grounds to return it, that 'buyer's remorse' was not grounds to return it - and the ebay rep volunteered the phrase "buyer's remorse'-

Here might be some interesting observations, if you sell alot on eBay:

But I had to call eBay back later with my wife present, under her ID to ask specifically about this item number, ( and my wife's eBay ID is a small, relatively new seller, whereas my eBay ID that I called under initially is a top Rated seller, a 16 year old account in which I sell over $200,000 a year on eBay), and this time we got an eBay rep with a pretty sharp accent, making me wonder if I had been patched into an overseas eBay call center, maybe due to the fact that my wife is a very small seller, and this time, we got an opposite answer: That because I allowed returns within 14 days, then I was going to have to take the return back.  ( nevermind that I allowed returns within 14 days IF item is not as described---matters not to this ebay rep and her "manager").

Maybe I call back a third time tomorrow and I get the right answer again? 

anybody got expeience in this?

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Any chance of me winning this dispute?

Everyone takes returns for "not as described" items.  It's called the eBay Money Back Guarantee... and, it's for 30 days.  You can't create your own MBG clause and call it something else.

Return polices are you either accept them or you don't.  It's not conditional if the item is as described.

You will lose.

Message 16 of 74
latest reply

would ebay allow them to change their 'reason' for wanting to return it?

Yes, of course.  And if eBay didn't the buyer could move on to paypal or credit card.

maybe even eBay, under appeal, would see them trying to change their reasoning as probably bogus.

I doubt if a human even sees most eBay cases, and if they are, the decider's guess as to whether someone is telling the truth should be irrelevant.

Message 17 of 74
latest reply

@johnbm06 wrote:

Mutly, but you should read on... here is what follows what you cut and pasted:

"This is true as long as the return meets your return requirements, for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements"........

This return request does NOT meet my return requirements. 

I'm right, but eBay holds the money. And they aren't concerned so much with being right as those of us who pay for their wrong ways.

Hi John,

It's like paying to go to the circus and seeing 3 monkeys...the "see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil" triplets. Welcome to the circus...you already paid your admittance.

Mr C

Message 18 of 74
latest reply

Slippin jimmy, I think you're slippin. 

If you look closer at their return policy, it is not "For any reason"-- I'm getting the impression that us ebay sellers have just accepted the beat-down that ebay is giving us and maybe if we'd fight it, they'd at least word their return policy so that it's honest, or better yet, just change it-

Message 19 of 74
latest reply

Mr C, I think you've summed it up well. 

Message 20 of 74
latest reply

Even if eBay has lame policies like this, to me, there is still a benenfit in fighting it: They at least hear the reality of the impact of their lame policies and have to handle them and argue them and devote time to defending and enforcing and battling the consequences of lame policies....

Given that eBay has heard those arguments a million times, I am missing how this is a benefit. 

Message 21 of 74
latest reply

Retrose, yes, my hope is that the cost for shipping is so high that they wonder if they might want to keep it. UPS and FedEx has raised their rates so much for dimensional weight, it's going to make the buyer cringe. 

Message 22 of 74
latest reply

PHCD, I think if you read ebay's own policy closer, I think you're wrong. I'm not saying ebay is going to side with me, i'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but if they followed their own written policy, then they would. 

....."If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, even if they change their mind about a purchase.....

This is true as long as the return meets your return requirements, for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements."

If they opened it, and I sent it factory sealed, then it's no longer in the same condition that they received it. technically, each time ebay shoves that down our throats, it seems to me, they are breaking their own policy.

Message 23 of 74
latest reply

And it's just one I've decided to battle. I've been selling fulltime on eBay since 2008, and I choose my battles carefully-- I rarely battle at all, But I've chosen this one to object to. 

"Excuse me, eBay, I object."

Message 24 of 74
latest reply

This return request does NOT meet my return requirements. 

Your return requirements are not among the acceptable terms of returns.  The REASON for the return cannot be limited.

The condition of the return can be - such as time limit, or condition of the item being returned.

You are trying to limit the reason for a buyer's return.  No can do.

Message 25 of 74
latest reply

Sorry, OP, but if you take returns, you take returns for any reason, including buyer's remorse.

Message 26 of 74
latest reply

@johnbm06 wrote:

And it's just one I've decided to battle. I've been selling fulltime on eBay since 2008, and I choose my battles carefully-- I rarely battle at all, But I've chosen this one to object to. 

"Excuse me, eBay, I object."

But this will be on what you describe as your wife's small account. I don't think that one defect by eBay for not resolving a customer case will end her account. But her listings may be dropped lower in search results (I do not agree with such draconian policies - I am just providing the information I have read in umpteen threads). A second such defect could result in her account being "indefinitely suspended."

I am hoping that the buyer will either 1) decide not to go through with the return; or 2) agree to pay for return shipping.

Best wishes,

Ann

Message 27 of 74
latest reply

Since a buyer cannot determine if their purchase is what they ordered, or whether they like it, without opening the box and taking it out, this is NOT considered changing the condition of the item.  ebay does NOT consider it a reason for denying a return if you have  a return policy.  You are stuck with this return, no matter how you go about it.  If you deny the return and the buyer escalates the case to eBay, they will refund the buyer from your wife's account and will let them keep the item.  It would be very foolish and expensive of you to fight this. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 28 of 74
latest reply

I did not see doctorfegg's reply before posting my response, but I have to agree, the defect your wife would receive on her account would be very, very detrimental to her selling career and would strongly influence the placement of the items she sells.  It could also possibly put her selling level to "below standard", which would cost her an additional 4% in Final value Fees on the items she sells. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 29 of 74
latest reply

@johnbm06 wrote:

Even if eBay has lame policies like this

IMHO what is lame is when a seller wants to reap the benefits of having a return policy, but tries to disclaim away any return except a SNAD. 

Message 30 of 74
latest reply