cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another seller has used/stolen my photos for their listing!

Hi, my first time using the eBay Community - hopefully some of you will be able to advise me and point me in the right direction. 

Unfortunately I have discovered another member has screen shot images from my listing to use on their own listing. I have found this very frustrating as I spent money, time and effort in taking good photos of actual items I have for sale.

I do appreciate that other sellers will be selling the same items as me and at different prices, and I can understand that a lot of the images will look the same when using manufacturers images, but to search, find and steal my photos from my listing and upload to your own is rude, uncalled for and downright lazy!

Anyhow does anyone know if I am allowed to include my business card in the back ground of my pictures or tucked in next to my items to show my logo? I am aware that watermarks are not allowed any more but would this be classed as a watermark? 

I have tried to contact eBay direct to ask them this but I can't seem to find a contact link that actually lets me make any contact, hence my new found eBay community ! 

Also so I have reported the stolen images to eBay but am yet to get a response. 

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Another seller has used/stolen my photos for their listing!

Then I'm just too dense to do it. Not to mention being resentful.
Message 31 of 38
latest reply

@papyruspapillo wrote:
D-K knows whereof he/she speaks. All images and text are now the property of ebay. (No, D-K, I'm not calling you a he-she; I just don't know whether you're a boy or a girl.)

Actually, this is not quite accurate.  While eBay has included language in their UA giving themselves the non-exclusive rights to use material uploaded to the site, they do not own the copyright to the material and have no ownership rights to it.  However, the last I checked eBay had done away with the ability of sellers to opt out of their catalog scheme.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 32 of 38
latest reply

I've been complaining here for years about eBay stealing pictures from the little guys here. I have nothing to add except:

Arrrrrrggggggg!

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Not any more, it's OK to steal pictures and ad copy, even encouraged. Better read the policy again. The new eBay motto, Steal and lie!

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

You brought back happy memories, AOL dial up! LOL, those were the days, or then again, maybe they weren't.

Go back just a tad bit further and we could list (and sell) with zero images, I know that I did that at one point in time, can't for the life of me remember why, dumbest thing ever, probably didn't own a digital camer in '99 and phones certainly didn't have one built in.

as I said "Those were the days" 🙂

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

Oh Dear "Camera"!
Message 36 of 38
latest reply

From a current ebay page about images:

"When you create listings you give eBay and it's members permission, through our user agreement, to use your images and product details. Your content may be added to the eBay product catalog, and may be used by other sellers in their eBay listings."

Just like facebook, anything you post on ebay belongs to them, and they now allow others to use your images and descriptions. Its not right in my opinion, but it is now the way it is

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

@bigjim394 wrote:

From a current ebay page about images:

"When you create listings you give eBay and it's members permission, through our user agreement, to use your images and product details. Your content may be added to the eBay product catalog, and may be used by other sellers in their eBay listings."

Just like facebook, anything you post on ebay belongs to them, and they now allow others to use your images and descriptions. Its not right in my opinion, but it is now the way it is

Yes this is eBay's newer corporate pirate picture policy. We are now expected to provide product photography services, free of charge.

Message 38 of 38
latest reply